Pick your starting rookie weakside linebacker (1 Viewer)

Which rookie starting Will would you prefer?

• Keith Rivers, Will, first round

Votes: 45 25.9%
  • Dan Connor, Mike, first round

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Curtis Lofton, Mike, later first, early second round

Votes: 23 13.2%
  • Xavier Adibi, Will, second round

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Jerod Mayo, Mike, second round

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • Philip Wheeler, Mike, second round

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Erin Henderson, Will, second round

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Tavares Gooden, Mike, second round

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Shawn Crable, Sam, third round

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • Ali Highsmith, Will, third round

Votes: 28 16.1%
  • Jonathan Goff, Mike, third round

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters
i would rather have other players but if i could get Goff in the ---3rd--- i'd be doing backflips!!!

I voted for Lofton, I think he has the instincts and speed to be a first day starter. Another thing that I like about him is that he is very strong, and certainly that can help considering that Vilma is not the biggest guy in the world. If Lofton was taken, I would go with Mayo.

What does Vilma's height have to do with anything? He weighs over 230, which is not undersized by any means. I just don't get where all of these "undersized" comments come from, the ignorant media? Let's see, Zach Thomas, pro-bowler...Lofa Tatupu, pro-bowler....Jonathan Vilma....pro-bowler....Sam Mills, pro-bowler....All of these guys were wrongly criticized for their size before they entered the league. I know that you weren't taking a shot at Vilma, I'm just tired of seeing the comments about it. By the way, I voted for Mayo because I think Lofton is a mlb and too slow for olb. Although my ideal scenario....

1. Dorsey/Ellis *hope one falls*
2. A. Talib
3. X. Adibi
4. Zbikowski *we trade back into the 4th for safety depth*

Last edited:
I agree with Spam and Meily. I think Lofton is riding on a board high here. He is a MLB. He would ber a terrible Will because he is a slow, hard hitter. He would get eaten alive in space. I think Mayo would be a good Will. 4.5 is fast for any LBer and the dude is a playmaker.

What does Vilma's height have to do with anything? He weighs over 230, which is not undersized by any means. I just don't get where all of these "undersized" comments come from, the ignorant media? Let's see, Zach Thomas, pro-bowler...Lofa Tatupu, pro-bowler....Jonathan Vilma....pro-bowler....Sam Mills, pro-bowler....All of these guys were wrongly criticized for their size before they entered the league. I know that you weren't taking a shot at Vilma, I'm just tired of seeing the comments about it. By the way, I voted for Mayo because I think Lofton is a mlb and too slow for olb.
Vilma is smallish. Teams typically overstate the size of their linebackers and secondary and understate D-linemen. Last year I saw Grady Jackson listed at 330.

A friend of mine saw Vilma last year and said his game weight cannot be more than 215 or so (the same guy saw Vilma in college and said "he's your size, a little taller but built the same." I was at the time 5'10" 195#), but as you say, it doesn't really matter as long as he can play.

I'm more concerned about his durability than his weight.

Jarod Mayo. I don't want Rivers at 10. I think thats way to high for an OLB in general, and one who was already questionable going that high. Whens the last time an OLB went in the top 10? OLB's just aren't generally worth that high of a pick or a huge payday in FA (like Briggs wanted).

Mayo ran a 4.56 and can play both LB positions at a high level. If Vilma gets hurt he can slide right over. He will be the next late 1st/2nd round LB to just go off his rookie year. Count on it.

and lol at all the Highsmith :homer: 's

I don't do that scouting stuff a lot of you guys do, so for me it's an exercise in pure, unadulterated guessing. So I guess that Rivers will not be our pick in the 1st, reasoning that the front office may think they've done enough to address our pass rush and go corner there. In that case, I've heard that Loften is a great option in the 2nd, so I picked him.

My hope is that our pass rush will get a lot better this offseason. We've done a little bit of work, but the main thing we need is a great push up the middle. Failing that, options for blitzing seems to be a good fallback plan.

Actually I forgot all about Beau Bell...even Jordan Dizon could be available in rounds 3 or later.

LB class is deep this year, and is one reason I don't think Rivers should be the pick @ 10.

Typed the words right out of my mouth.

Unless he runs a 4.6 on his pro day, he'll be lucky to get picked in the 7th, if at all.

I would take Crable or Goff 100000x over Highsmith, especially in the 3rd if they were around.

Shawn Crable is the truth. Everyone that voted for someone else will be personally tackled for a loss (of blood and organs) by him. Doesn't matter if it's a private poll; Crable can smell your fear.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom