Pick your starting rookie weakside linebacker (1 Viewer)

Which rookie starting Will would you prefer?

• Keith Rivers, Will, first round

Votes: 45 25.9%
  • Dan Connor, Mike, first round

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Curtis Lofton, Mike, later first, early second round

Votes: 23 13.2%
  • Xavier Adibi, Will, second round

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Jerod Mayo, Mike, second round

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • Philip Wheeler, Mike, second round

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Erin Henderson, Will, second round

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Tavares Gooden, Mike, second round

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Shawn Crable, Sam, third round

Votes: 15 8.6%
  • Ali Highsmith, Will, third round

Votes: 28 16.1%
  • Jonathan Goff, Mike, third round

Votes: 8 4.6%

• Total voters

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This one is just for fun, I know for most of us our preference is to get one on the second, or even on the third round (that will mean we got one of the tackles and if not a top corner).

I am including not only weakside linebackers, I am including some middle linebackers that can easily switch or had previously played outside, and some strong side linebacers, just because of their blitzing capabilities.

Besides voting, please include where the guy may be drafted and the reasons you consider he may be our best option to play along Fujita and Vilma.

The choices are:

Keith Rivers, Will, first round
Dan Connor, Mike, first round
Curtis Lofton, Mike, later first, early second round
Xavier Adibi, Will, second round
Jerod Mayo, Mike, second round
Philip Wheeler, Mike, second round
Erin Henderson, Will, second round
Tavares Gooden, Mike, second round
Shawn Crable, Sam, third round
Ali Highsmith, Will, third round
Jonathan Goff, Mike, third round

Last edited:
Give me Rivers off that list, especially picking 10th. Connor won't go until very late in the first if not the top of the 2nd round. I'll take Mayo or Lofton second and Goff a close third.

In this order:

Connor, if he falls like Pozlusny did last year, or we trade down in the first. He played OLB the first 2-3 years in college while Puz was playing MLB.
Lofton
Mayo

I voted for Lofton, I think he has the instincts and speed to be a first day starter. Another thing that I like about him is that he is very strong, and certainly that can help considering that Vilma is not the biggest guy in the world. If Lofton was taken, I would go with Mayo.

I don't have a favorite, I just hope its not in the fist round. We could still go out in FA and get a decent WLB, we could wait until the 2nd and get a good-great one, we could even go our and get a decent-good one in the 3rd.

The same cannot be said for CB or DT.

mayo then lofton. i think lofton is a better player but he is a prototypical inside backer imo.

mayo has spent time inside and outside, he is a very good player

I'm going to throw out 2 names that didn't make you list... UGA's Marcus Howard, and Kentucky's Wesley Woodyard.

I think both guys could be had on the 2nd day of the draft w/ Howard probably going earlier (after he blew up at the combine).

I'd say if either one of these guys is still around in the mid-4th round, you make a move to get one of them. Howard is pretty raw, but you can't teach the type of athleticism and speed this kid has. He's also a very solid blitzer off of the edge.

Woodyard is undersized for a LB, but the guy is just a baller! He's ALWAYS AROUND THE FOOTBALL! He may not be a big hitter, or a great blitzer, but he's got great speed for the position... he's a smart, team player... and I just like the guy.

I dont think Lofton should be on there, the guy ran a 4.77 at the combine, he is purely a MLB.....but like DownWithDisease mentioned, there are guys like Woodyard and Howard that the Saints can look at to fill that spot behind Shanle....you know the Saints are good for getting the forgotten player not the most sought after one's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom