Pie is better than cake (1 Viewer)

Pie > Cake for me.

Pumpkin Pie is the greatest thing on earth. Pecan Pie, cheesecake, apple pie. Did I mention pumpkin pie is the greatest thing on earth.

I like one scoop of vanilla ice cream with apple pie, but not with any others.

Speaking of ice cream. There is a local ice cream place up here that makes a seasonal Pumpkin Pie ice cream, probably the greatest ice cream ever. Its basically pie crust coated in cinnamon mixed into pumpkin flavored ice cream. Yeah its pretty awesome.

Mark me down for pie. This should be a pole!

Generally I prefer cake but sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie is the killer. My opinion may be influenced by the fact that growing up, nobody in my family ever baked pies. Probably why I am such a bitter man now.

This thread sucks without pics...

sweet-potato-pie-for-thanksgiving.jpg

I see the cake and ice cream a lot, adults too, and as you point out "cakes are usually dry and crappy", it's hard to get a dry pie ;)

I never said that at all. I said that most birthday cakes at children's birthday parties are dry and crappy. Big difference. I could likewise say that most pizza at children's birthday parties is crappy...that doesn't mean pizza sucks; that means children and their lame parents suck. And while I'm at it, what's with this new trend where crappy birthday bakeries seem to dump a gallon of almond extract into their cake batters. Blech!

Unfortunately, 98%+ of the real world cake is either the prefab frosting rectangle or the box mix junk.

Sure there are the grocery bakery meh pies, and frozen ones, but most pie is homemade and awesome. Creating a good cake from scratch w/homemade sauce (or frosting) and getting it to turn out right isn't easy. Pie, well, it's as easy as pie. It's hard to screw up fruit or custards or pecans and sugar.

You can't say 98% of real world cake is prefab or box mix crap and then compare it to homemade pies... In fact, I would suggest that people are more likely to pick up a storebought crap pie for a non children/non birthday situation for the simple reason that there's a bigger selection of pies generally available for purchase in a grocery store. You can usually find two or three out of sweet potato, pecan, and various fruit pies. Unless you're at a store with a nicer bakery (those seem to be popping up more frequently, actually), you're stuck with a nasty birthday cake, so nobody buys them if they aren't for a birthday. I still think your problem is that you've never been around good cakes. My problem is that I hate pie crust. :hihi:

Edit: Actually, it turns out that I have more favorite cakes than favorite pies.

<s>I like more pies than cakes, but the cakes I like, I like a lot</s>. Generally, the best or the worst part about any given cake will be its frosting. If the frosting crunches between your teeth because the sugar isn't 100% incorporated, you have bad frosting. If the frosting coats the roof of your mouth with an oily film because it's made with shortening and sugar + flavor and/or color, you have an awful frosting. This describes most pre-made frostings. Frosting should not be overly sweet. Good luck finding that at a grocery store.

Pie:
Lemon Meringue Pie
Cheesecake
Pecan Pie
Apple Pie (a real one without all the crappy syrup filler)
Pumpkin Pie

Cake:
German Chocolate Cake
White Mountain Cake
Carrot Cake
Fruit Cake (Homemade)
Pound Cake
King Cake

Other:
Clafoutis
Blueberry Buckle

I should note that I generally make my own desserts, to ensure they're done properly. Store-bought pies and cakes are all crap. Marie Callender's is less bad than stores.

Pie bad. Cake good.

/thread

Pie > Cake.

Cakes are much easier to screw up than Pies are. You end up with dry nastiness covered with overly-sweet frosting.

Pies, on the other hand, are harder to mess up. Pre-made crusts and canned filling will beat box cake mixes almost every single time.

Also, Camelia Grill's grilled pies.

Oh, and Hubig's Pies.

Sure I'll eat a cake, just if both are there I'm going for pie.

I'll never eat an hair cake. Meat pie maybe; pot pie sure; you can have the beef cake, though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom