Pie is better than cake (1 Viewer)

Hmmm so many types of each.

I'd say the top couple on my list are probably cake but in a general sense I prefer your average pie over the average cake.

Cheesecake: pie or cake? All the pie characteristics but cake in the name.

This is the biggest pile of codswallop I've ever heard.

EDIT: cheesecake, despite its appearance, was so-named because it is awesome like cake instead of sucky like pie

Pie vs. Cake
See the pie (make it your favorite, great crust, amazing filling. Everything fresh. Contained. Camera ready). See the cake (picture whatever you want).

Now imagine how the PIE smells--right out of the oven, waiting on the windowsill for it's future date with ice cream. Inhale the cooling crust, hand-made, uneven, real butter (think European high fat), browned to the color of an autumn leaf. The PIE calls out to you--I'm almost ready. Wait for me. I'll be there soon. I need you, baby.

Smell the cake. Wait, you can't smell it because it's in a box with a clear, plastic window. The icing--strangely colored with green and purple and orange streaks that make up some kind of picture--is it a black caldron? A hockey puck? A large-headed clown? Whatever it is, the icing has hardened to resemble a floor tile in a linoleum display.
But isn't cheesecake really sort of a pie--a cousin, once removed. And what about pizza? Is that in the same family? An overweight relative who should wax the carpet of hair from his back? Plus we need to mention quiche, and tarts and maybe, this is bold, chicken pot pie.

Where is the cake equivalent? I can't hear you.
People don't decorate pies. People decorate cakes. This is a problem. They have to dress them up. Why? Because what's underneath might not be good enough. It can be dry. Tasteless. Or worse. It can be a shell, concealing something that could end up making you ill.

You can post pictures of cake, but you can't post the smell of a fresh baked pie.

Who cares if cake is hot or cold?

People add ice cream to cake, but pie needs nothing else, it's already perfect.

You know why people have some more cake the next day? Because there's cake left. The pie is already gone.

Hmmm so many types of each.

I'd say the top couple on my list are probably cake but in a general sense I prefer your average pie over the average cake.

Cheesecake: pie or cake? All the pie characteristics but cake in the name.

My friend and I got into a drunken debate about this and went to a cupcake store to ask. They said cake. That's the only time I'll ever be in a cupcake store.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BCdLAO6sQDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pie vs. Cake

You can post pictures of cake, but you can't post the smell of a fresh baked pie.

Who cares if cake is hot or cold?

People add ice cream to cake, but pie needs nothing else, it's already perfect.

You know why people have some more cake the next day? Because there's cake left. The pie is already gone.

Who dumps ice cream on top of a cake??? Ice cream is commonly put on pie, not cake (it wouldn't melt on cake, for one). What do you think pie a la mode is? You sound like you've never had something that wasn't a birthday or wedding cake in your life.

My friend and I got into a drunken debate about this and went to a cupcake store to ask. They said cake. That's the only time I'll ever be in a cupcake store.

Cheesecake, sadly, is pie. There is nothing cake-like in its origin whatsoever.

Who dumps ice cream on top of a cake??? Ice cream is commonly put on pie, not cake (it wouldn't melt on cake, for one). What do you think pie a la mode is? You sound like you've never had something that wasn't a birthday or wedding cake in your life.

Ice cream on cake is pretty common. In fact, some madman fused the two with medieval alchemy to create ice cream cake. He was later hanged for his heresy.

I guess some people do put ice cream on an apple pie, but I generally see it as a restaurant only upsell, at least the way I was brought up.

Cake on the other hand, I don't think I ever went to a single birthday party as a kid where it wasn't "Who want's cake and ice cream?"

You have fancy French terms like "a la mode" for restaurants and things few people really eat. ;)

If you take pie v cake seriously, though, be careful not to find the old pancakes v waffles thread on here.

Seriously, though, ice cream on hot pie is very standard. It's crappy diner fare, not something fancy (despite the french name...I'd guess that probably originated in upscale restaurants in the 50s or earlier when such a thing, given a french name, would have been impressive to the yokels). I would also suggest that the hot pie and ice cream thing extends far beyond apple and into all fruit pies as well as pecan and sometimes sweet potato. I think it's gross, but I must admit that I do enjoy ice cream on hot peach cobbler (which I guess is a cousin of pie, in a way).

I have never in my life seen someone put ice cream on top of cake...that would crush and then soggy the cake, and I'm truly disturbed by this idea.

Cake and ice cream served at the same time at a birthday party is standard, of course, but I would suggest that that's only because 1) you can cram as many sweets into the kid as possible and 2) the cakes are usually dry and crappy, so it gives you something to get the dryness out of your mouth. I've never seen an adult sit down with a piece of cake and a bowl of ice cream at the same time. :covri:

I see the cake and ice cream a lot, adults too, and as you point out "cakes are usually dry and crappy", it's hard to get a dry pie ;)

Good cake can be ok in doses; the owner of the company I do most of my contracting with now loves cakes, and they usually have some pretty fantastic odd cakes (and some of the time when it's more like normal cake, they have ice cream at the ready -- all adults). Unfortunately, 98%+ of the real world cake is either the prefab frosting rectangle or the box mix junk.

Sure there are the grocery bakery meh pies, and frozen ones, but most pie is homemade and awesome. Creating a good cake from scratch w/homemade sauce (or frosting) and getting it to turn out right isn't easy. Pie, well, it's as easy as pie. It's hard to screw up fruit or custards or pecans and sugar.

It's sort of like beer versus scotch. Sure there are good hand crafted beers, but the bulk is Schlitzcoorbuschweiser or wannabe "micro" brews. Sure there's rotgut scotch, but most is made well.

That science thing from the blog was mostly funny, but the true part is the volume. I can fat *** down half a pie or more when it's good fresh and hot. I don't think I've ever eaten half of even a single layer cake in a day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom