Pierre Thomas, My take (1 Viewer)

State Of Affairs

Just a dude...
Gold VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
First I want to establish that while I am a PT fan, I was not one of those who thought he was going to be a bell cow RB that could carry our running game. I thought he was a nice back up. My perspective is that he simply lacks explosive quickness and suddenness and top end speed.

Having said that, he simply produces so as I'm sitting here rewatching the game from yesterday, I just remember who he reminds me of.

Emmitt Smith. I felt the exact same way about Emmitt. I always argued that Smith was just the recipient of a great offensive line and the respect for a good passing game. Now some of that is because I hate the cowboys but I feel i was right, Smith lacked explosiveness but had great vision and a smooth stride.

I'm now coming around to think that Thomas is a true number one. With him and Bell, the Saints have a very good one two punch.

I have never been a jump on the band waggon person, with production, comes confidence and now I'm starting to see someone that I am confident can be productive.

Emmitt was shorter, more compact, and ultimately more powerful then Pierre Thomas. Also the defining characteristic of Emmitt Smith was that he was productive for so long and so consistently.

Emmitt was shorter, more compact, and ultimately more powerful then Pierre Thomas. Also the defining characteristic of Emmitt Smith was that he was productive for so long and so consistently.

No arguments there, I'm only comparing their styles. It would be insane to compare a HOF player to Thomas.

I just find them to be similar in style and ultimately, PT can be successful with that style. Neither player was very flashy in my opinion but both are productive.

I'm just making a generalized comparison and am in no way calling PT Emmitt smith.

No arguments there, I'm only comparing their styles. It would be insane to compare a HOF player to Thomas.

I just find them to be similar in style and ultimately, PT can be successful with that style. Neither player was very flashy in my opinion but both are productive.

I'm just making a generalized comparison and am in no way calling PT Emmitt smith.

Oh. Then Pierre Thomas is like Marcus Allen too :shrug:

I like PT's performance as well, but it's a combination of the O-line doing a better job of blocking also, lets face it, if they don't block, it really doesn't matter who the RB is, look at how our D-line has manage to shut down so many top rated runners. So yes PT, Bell & the other running backs are benefiting from the better play on the line.

I've often thought that myself. Smith wasn't the biggest, fastest or most powerful but he had great vision and balance and they are Pierre's two biggest strengths too.

From the little I've seen of Mike Bell he seems to have some of the same attributes, although maybe with a bit more power and straight-line speed.

And Reggie's getting there, but vision (or seeing the lane, hole recognition, whatever you wanna call it) is probably his weakest point after physical strength. But Reggie is definitely improving and his ypc is up as a result.

The only problem is what happens when Bell is fit again - how will Payton give each of them enough carries?! Still, I can think of worse problems to have.

I like PT's performance as well, but it's a combination of the O-line doing a better job of blocking also, lets face it, if they don't block, it really doesn't matter who the RB is, look at how our D-line has manage to shut down so many top rated runners. So yes PT, Bell & the other running backs are benefiting from the better play on the line.

From what I can tell, the overwhelming majority (~90%) of our runs of 2 yards or less this year are due to defenders getting through the LOS and not due to poor vision or running by the RBs.

Yeah, I've said he reminds me of Emit as well. Also of Curtis Martin. Swervy, compact, three-speed back. I truly think he and Bell will by a potent combination.

I could see Emmitt...and nobody is calling him the next Emmitt Smith, just a comparison in style, not ability...people are so quick to argue someone's point that they miss the point.

First I want to establish that while I am a PT fan, I was not one of those who thought he was going to be a bell cow RB that could carry our running game. I thought he was a nice back up. My perspective is that he simply lacks explosive quickness and suddenness and top end speed.

Having said that, he simply produces so as I'm sitting here rewatching the game from yesterday, I just remember who he reminds me of.

Emmitt Smith. I felt the exact same way about Emmitt. I always argued that Smith was just the recipient of a great offensive line and the respect for a good passing game. Now some of that is because I hate the cowboys but I feel i was right, Smith lacked explosiveness but had great vision and a smooth stride.

I'm now coming around to think that Thomas is a true number one. With him and Bell, the Saints have a very good one two punch.

I have never been a jump on the band waggon person, with production, comes confidence and now I'm starting to see someone that I am confident can be productive.

Emmitt Smith is a good comparison. PT is a player!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom