Pilots report "guy in a jet pack" at 3K feet above LAX (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Two separate cabin crews reported seeing a “guy in a jet pack” flying near their planes over the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

On Sunday afternoon, a pilot of an American Airlines plane told the LAX control tower that they had seen someone flying near the aircraft in a jet pack, as they attempted to land the plane at the airport, according to tapes obtained by Fox 11. After receiving the report from the American Airlines cabin crew, the control tower warned other pilots to look out for the person when approaching the airport.

The American Airlines pilot claimed that the jet pack was flying at the same height of the plane, at around 3000ft, which was later confirmed by a pilot from a JetBlue flight, who also reported the incident.

The pilot of the American Airlines flight was recorded saying: “We just passed a guy in a jet pack,” as the JetBlue pilot said they saw a “guy passing by them in a jet pack.”

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Yeah, seems like a waste of jet pack talent. Someone that accomplished at jet-packing probably isn’t signing up to crash their jet packs into planes. This isn’t a two week stint in Florida flight school going to strip clubs at night - this is highly skilled aviation.
Yeah, that plus the problem of the laws of physics.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, that plus the problem of the laws of physics.
I think there will be a point in the near future where jet packs and individual flight will be advanced enough that a fairly novice flyer would be capable of flying into the path of a plane if so inclined. But, I think another possibility would be using them to plant explosives in difficult to reach areas. I mean, I can see that happening.

That said, there are cheaper and more conventional, effective methods.

I dunno tho, just spitballing a bit anyway.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think another possibility would be using them to plant explosives in difficult to reach areas. I mean, I can see that happening.
I like where you're going with this - jet pack saboteurs.

I'm questioning though, what these difficult to reach areas are that jet pack saboteurs would threaten. I would think high-value targets have sensitive enough systems or human assets to mitigate infiltration by jet pack, but maybe I'm mistaken.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like where you're going with this - jet pack saboteurs.

I'm questioning though, what these difficult to reach areas are that jet pack saboteurs would threaten. I would think high-value targets have sensitive enough systems or human assets to mitigate infiltration by jet pack, but maybe I'm mistaken.
I'm thinking more in terms of densely populated areas where maybe a structure would be vulnerable to attack. No idea if that's realistic though.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking more in terms of densely populated areas where maybe a structure would be vulnerable to attack. No idea if that's realistic though.
Like fly in by jet pack to a densely populated area, plant explosives, and then fly that jet pack back out?

I think you're thinking more of like an evil version of Superman.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve got an inkling that the terrorist should probably do something before the 500 ton airplane starts traveling at 600mph.
It's not gonna be traveling near that speed at 3k feet. The idea would be to hit it at It's slowest speeds which are during takeoff and landings.

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
It's not gonna be traveling near that speed at 3k feet. The idea would be to hit it at It's slowest speeds which are during takeoff and landings.
The much better idea would be to hit it at its no-est speed while it’s just sitting still at the gate or on the runway.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The much better idea would be to hit it at its no-est speed while it’s just sitting still at the gate or on the runway.
Oh no doubt, but then you run into a more protected area of the airport. I would think security would notice a jetpack approaching before it has a chance to reach a plane. No idea if security would be trained to respond to that kind of threat though.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The much better idea would be to hit it at its no-est speed while it’s just sitting still.
But then it's just a jet pack crashing into a plane on the tarmac - not likely to be a large enough scale catastrophe to justify suicide attack . . . unless the jet pack was somehow loaded with explosives. So now we're talking about suicide bombing by jet pack.

Let's imagine, however, that meaningful explosives cannot be delivered by jet-pack without so altering the jet pack's flight characteristics that it becomes impossible to fly with the kind of precision it would take to stick a jet-pack at speed into the side of an airliner on the tarmac of a commercial airport. Wouldn't it make more sense to try to collide with it at altitude? If bird strikes can fork up commercial jets, what would a guy in a jet pack do? Seems reasonable to choose the mid-air collision strategy over the 'bomb the tarmac' strategy.

Of course, that brings us back to the 'waste of jet pack talent' problem.

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Oh no doubt, but then you run into a more protected area of the airport. I would think security would notice a jetpack approaching before it has a chance to reach a plane. No idea if security would be trained to respond to that kind of threat though.
They could buy a drone at the mall that could accomplish this task much easier than by kamikaze jetpack attack.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
They could buy a drone at the mall that could accomplish this task much easier than by kamikaze jetpack attack.
Yeah, but that's what they're expected to do, itt would feel so scripted. Jet-pack attack has flair.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Are you now talking about arming TSA with shoulder-launched Stinger missiles? I don't know man, seems crazy.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed. Of course I don't know a lot about drones, but you'd need a pretty large drone, and one capable of carrying explosives, but outside of the military, I don't see something like that as being likely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Report: Panthers shut down facility ahead of Saints game after unconfirmed positive test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints to play Panthers in Superdome this Sunday: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints 1st Quarter + 1 Game Report Card (Offense, Special Teams, Coaches) SR News Page Articles 0
Report: Michael Thomas held out of Chargers game and fined, not suspended by Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: NFL owners to vote on moving next New Orleans Super Bowl back one year to 2025 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Chargers vs. Saints: Pregame Report SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Chargers vs. Saints injury report, betting odds: Michael Thomas out, Joey Bosa questionable SR News Page Articles 0
Report: Saints WR Michael Thomas ruled out for Monday night after altercation with teammate Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints rule out WR Michael Thomas for Monday's game against Chargers: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Saints 1st Qtr. Report on the Defensive Unit Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Saints vs Chargers final injury report: Janoris Jenkins out, Marshon Lattimore questionable Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Injury report: 3 Saints ruled out, 6 are questionable for Monday night against Chargers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Injury report (Ram full, Jenkins out. Lots of questionable). Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
Andrus Week 5: Saints Friday Injury Report SR News Page Articles 0
Saints vs Lions Friday injury report: Six limited including Michael Thomas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
B-Train Friday Injury Report per Underhill Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 63