Pilots report "guy in a jet pack" at 3K feet above LAX (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Two separate cabin crews reported seeing a “guy in a jet pack” flying near their planes over the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

On Sunday afternoon, a pilot of an American Airlines plane told the LAX control tower that they had seen someone flying near the aircraft in a jet pack, as they attempted to land the plane at the airport, according to tapes obtained by Fox 11. After receiving the report from the American Airlines cabin crew, the control tower warned other pilots to look out for the person when approaching the airport.

The American Airlines pilot claimed that the jet pack was flying at the same height of the plane, at around 3000ft, which was later confirmed by a pilot from a JetBlue flight, who also reported the incident.

The pilot of the American Airlines flight was recorded saying: “We just passed a guy in a jet pack,” as the JetBlue pilot said they saw a “guy passing by them in a jet pack.”

CoolBrees

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
So I asked my (retired) pilot dad - 24 years as a KC-135 pilot and another 25 as a 747 pilot for Northwest Airlines) about jet pack attacks

After he finished laughing, he said the hardest part for the “packer” would be interception. Creating the vector on the fly to intercept a moving target going that fast is beyond a humans capability. Essentially anything you fire at the plane would need you to be able to do high math while still maintaining their own flight path.

But assuming that they wouldn’t be able to do that you would have to match the speed and path of the aircraft. Which isn’t possible with such a small engine.

So I asked about During takeoff and landing- when speeds are slower. The aircraft is still traveling well over two hundred miles an hour so you would need to match that and the vector of takeoff or landing depending.

So assuming you could go that fast and at that angle your biggest problem becomes “jet wash” from the engines. Since the craft is slower, more shear thrust is needed to keep the plane in the sky. This creates massive turbulence that would shake a Packer apart or suck them into the intake.

it was then he asked why I was bothering him with this and we switched to football. He’s a Bengals fan so he hopes the season is cancelled so they can have their most successful season in years.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I asked my (retired) pilot dad - 24 years as a KC-135 pilot and another 25 as a 747 pilot for Northwest Airlines) about jet pack attacks

After he finished laughing, he said the hardest part for the “packer” would be interception. Creating the vector on the fly to intercept a moving target going that fast is beyond a humans capability. Essentially anything you fire at the plane would need you to be able to do high math while still maintaining their own flight path.

But assuming that they wouldn’t be able to do that you would have to match the speed and path of the aircraft. Which isn’t possible with such a small engine.

So I asked about During takeoff and landing- when speeds are slower. The aircraft is still traveling well over two hundred miles an hour so you would need to match that and the vector of takeoff or landing depending.

So assuming you could go that fast and at that angle your biggest problem becomes “jet wash” from the engines. Since the craft is slower, more shear thrust is needed to keep the plane in the sky. This creates massive turbulence that would shake a Packer apart or suck them into the intake.

it was then he asked why I was bothering him with this and we switched to football. He’s a Bengals fan so he hopes the season is cancelled so they can have their most successful season in years.
You should have just sent him to this thread and told him just a handful of guys spitballing about jet packs with too much time on their hands. :hihi:

And, what about the 2 guys flying right next to the airliner? While attacking and flying next to it are two different things, those high powered packs seem to have enough speed to keep up.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You should have just sent him to this thread and told him just a handful of guys spitballing about jet packs with too much time on their hands. :hihi:

And, what about the 2 guys flying right next to the airliner? While attacking and flying next to it are two different things, those high powered packs seem to have enough speed to keep up.
So that was a promo video - with an Emirates A-380. If it was empty (presume it was), it appears that plane can stay in the sky at as slow as 130 kts. I think we can assume those jet guys were going at least 130 knots, perhaps faster. But I don’t think they can keep up with a 380 at cruising speed.

CoolBrees

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Anything are above a certain altitude you must clear your flight plan with the FAA. 3k feet, let alone 6k, is definitely above the level especially that close to a municipal airport. So yes it is illegal.

Even the higher powered model rockets are required to check in with the FAA.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is that illegal? Serious question.
If it's in restricted air space, it's absolutely illegal.
The airspace over LAX is not 'restricted' unless your aircraft lacks the equipment required.
You may be thinking about a "controlled" airspace. LAX is a Class B controlled airspace.
True, it's difficult for VFR traffic to navigate in such a busy & regimented airspace, but it is not impossible. So I don't think he'd be illegal if he has a com radio & an altitude encoding transponder required to fly in a Class B airspace. However, he probably doesn't have an airworthiness certificate for whatever equipment he is using to fly around up there. That said, if he has received an airworthiness certificate for his experimental 'jet pack' and has not been signed off to fly outside of the designated test area, then he would be in violation of flying anywhere outside of the distance limitation imposed. :scratch:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Report: Panthers shut down facility ahead of Saints game after unconfirmed positive test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints to play Panthers in Superdome this Sunday: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints 1st Quarter + 1 Game Report Card (Offense, Special Teams, Coaches) SR News Page Articles 0
Report: Michael Thomas held out of Chargers game and fined, not suspended by Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: NFL owners to vote on moving next New Orleans Super Bowl back one year to 2025 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Chargers vs. Saints: Pregame Report SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Chargers vs. Saints injury report, betting odds: Michael Thomas out, Joey Bosa questionable SR News Page Articles 0
Report: Saints WR Michael Thomas ruled out for Monday night after altercation with teammate Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints rule out WR Michael Thomas for Monday's game against Chargers: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Saints 1st Qtr. Report on the Defensive Unit Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Saints vs Chargers final injury report: Janoris Jenkins out, Marshon Lattimore questionable Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Injury report: 3 Saints ruled out, 6 are questionable for Monday night against Chargers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Injury report (Ram full, Jenkins out. Lots of questionable). Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
Andrus Week 5: Saints Friday Injury Report SR News Page Articles 0
Saints vs Lions Friday injury report: Six limited including Michael Thomas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
B-Train Friday Injury Report per Underhill Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 63