Pilots report "guy in a jet pack" at 3K feet above LAX (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Two separate cabin crews reported seeing a “guy in a jet pack” flying near their planes over the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

On Sunday afternoon, a pilot of an American Airlines plane told the LAX control tower that they had seen someone flying near the aircraft in a jet pack, as they attempted to land the plane at the airport, according to tapes obtained by Fox 11. After receiving the report from the American Airlines cabin crew, the control tower warned other pilots to look out for the person when approaching the airport.

The American Airlines pilot claimed that the jet pack was flying at the same height of the plane, at around 3000ft, which was later confirmed by a pilot from a JetBlue flight, who also reported the incident.

The pilot of the American Airlines flight was recorded saying: “We just passed a guy in a jet pack,” as the JetBlue pilot said they saw a “guy passing by them in a jet pack.”

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The airspace over LAX is not 'restricted' unless your aircraft lacks the equipment required.
You may be thinking about a "controlled" airspace. LAX is a Class B controlled airspace.
True, it's difficult for VFR traffic to navigate in such a busy & regimented airspace, but it is not impossible. So I don't think he'd be illegal if he has a com radio & an altitude encoding transponder required to fly in a Class B airspace. However, he probably doesn't have an airworthiness certificate for whatever equipment he is using to fly around up there. That said, if he has received an airworthiness certificate for his experimental 'jet pack' and has not been signed off to fly outside of the designated test area, then he would be in violation of flying anywhere outside of the distance limitation imposed. :scratch:
I'm frequently in and out of DC so I'm probably getting the restricted airspace in my head because of that. Different animal than airspace over airports. Appreciate the correction. :9:

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm frequently in and out of DC so I'm probably getting the restricted airspace in my head because of that. Different animal than airspace over airports. Appreciate the correction. :9:
Yes, there are several areas around the country where flying anything overhead is restricted, and DC certainly has a lot of them, especially after 9/11.
Still, I get the feeling that 'jet pack dude' doesn't have what's needed to be buzzing over LAX anyway. This means that someone is going to find out (if they don't already know) the place where his flights are originating and this guy will be getting a visit from the feds real soon.

Charlie Brizzown

Good grief
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, there are several areas around the country where flying anything overhead is restricted, and DC certainly has a lot of them, especially after 9/11.
Still, I get the feeling that 'jet pack dude' doesn't have what's needed to be buzzing over LAX anyway. This means that someone is going to find out (if they don't already know) the place where his flights are originating and this guy will be getting a visit from the feds real soon.
Good luck visiting him on his alien spacecraft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Report: Panthers shut down facility ahead of Saints game after unconfirmed positive test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints to play Panthers in Superdome this Sunday: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints 1st Quarter + 1 Game Report Card (Offense, Special Teams, Coaches) SR News Page Articles 0
Report: Michael Thomas held out of Chargers game and fined, not suspended by Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: NFL owners to vote on moving next New Orleans Super Bowl back one year to 2025 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Chargers vs. Saints: Pregame Report SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Chargers vs. Saints injury report, betting odds: Michael Thomas out, Joey Bosa questionable SR News Page Articles 0
Report: Saints WR Michael Thomas ruled out for Monday night after altercation with teammate Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints rule out WR Michael Thomas for Monday's game against Chargers: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Saints 1st Qtr. Report on the Defensive Unit Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Saints vs Chargers final injury report: Janoris Jenkins out, Marshon Lattimore questionable Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Injury report: 3 Saints ruled out, 6 are questionable for Monday night against Chargers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Injury report (Ram full, Jenkins out. Lots of questionable). Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
Andrus Week 5: Saints Friday Injury Report SR News Page Articles 0
Saints vs Lions Friday injury report: Six limited including Michael Thomas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
B-Train Friday Injury Report per Underhill Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 63