Pilots report "guy in a jet pack" at 3K feet above LAX (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Two separate cabin crews reported seeing a “guy in a jet pack” flying near their planes over the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

On Sunday afternoon, a pilot of an American Airlines plane told the LAX control tower that they had seen someone flying near the aircraft in a jet pack, as they attempted to land the plane at the airport, according to tapes obtained by Fox 11. After receiving the report from the American Airlines cabin crew, the control tower warned other pilots to look out for the person when approaching the airport.

The American Airlines pilot claimed that the jet pack was flying at the same height of the plane, at around 3000ft, which was later confirmed by a pilot from a JetBlue flight, who also reported the incident.

The pilot of the American Airlines flight was recorded saying: “We just passed a guy in a jet pack,” as the JetBlue pilot said they saw a “guy passing by them in a jet pack.”

Dude was probably trying to flee 2020 Jetsons-style...

The craziest thing to me is 3,000 feet seems really high for a jet pack - like I think you would have to know what you're doing, but then if you did, why would you be in the landing pattern above LAX? Crazy.

Any physical description?
Did he maybe look something like one of the ones below?... :scratch:
DqeyeFzW4AEhVq5.jpg:large

video-thumb-jango-vs-obi-wan_4fce1881.jpeg

Why does it make me feel suspicious and uncomfortable that some guy is flying around one of the busiest airports in the world in a jetpack at 3000' and what it seems like is undetected by ground radar.

Because it's suspicious and uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Why does it make me feel suspicious and uncomfortable that some guy is flying around one of the busiest airports in the world in a jetpack at 3000' and what it seems like is undetected by ground radar.
Probably too small to show up on radar. At that height, I'd have to wonder if he jumped out of a skydiving plane with the jetpack on. I haven't seen a jetpack with enough fuel to take someone up to 3000 ft at that speed and then safely land.

Probably too small to show up on radar. At that height, I'd have to wonder if he jumped out of a skydiving plane with the jetpack on. I haven't seen a jetpack with enough fuel to take someone up to 3000 ft at that speed and then safely land.
Yeah likely too small for radar. If he jumped from a skydiving plane; would there be enough fuel to safely descend from that altitude? Those things only have a few minutes of burn right? We don’t know if the altitude was AGL or MSL though. Crazy to imagine either way; but having enough fuel to climb to 3000 and get back down is next level tech.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom