Pilots report "guy in a jet pack" at 3K feet above LAX (1 Viewer)

Anything are above a certain altitude you must clear your flight plan with the FAA. 3k feet, let alone 6k, is definitely above the level especially that close to a municipal airport. So yes it is illegal.

Even the higher powered model rockets are required to check in with the FAA.

Is that illegal? Serious question.
If it's in restricted air space, it's absolutely illegal.
The airspace over LAX is not 'restricted' unless your aircraft lacks the equipment required.
You may be thinking about a "controlled" airspace. LAX is a Class B controlled airspace.
True, it's difficult for VFR traffic to navigate in such a busy & regimented airspace, but it is not impossible. So I don't think he'd be illegal if he has a com radio & an altitude encoding transponder required to fly in a Class B airspace. However, he probably doesn't have an airworthiness certificate for whatever equipment he is using to fly around up there. That said, if he has received an airworthiness certificate for his experimental 'jet pack' and has not been signed off to fly outside of the designated test area, then he would be in violation of flying anywhere outside of the distance limitation imposed. :scratch:

The airspace over LAX is not 'restricted' unless your aircraft lacks the equipment required.
You may be thinking about a "controlled" airspace. LAX is a Class B controlled airspace.
True, it's difficult for VFR traffic to navigate in such a busy & regimented airspace, but it is not impossible. So I don't think he'd be illegal if he has a com radio & an altitude encoding transponder required to fly in a Class B airspace. However, he probably doesn't have an airworthiness certificate for whatever equipment he is using to fly around up there. That said, if he has received an airworthiness certificate for his experimental 'jet pack' and has not been signed off to fly outside of the designated test area, then he would be in violation of flying anywhere outside of the distance limitation imposed. :scratch:

I'm frequently in and out of DC so I'm probably getting the restricted airspace in my head because of that. Different animal than airspace over airports. Appreciate the correction. :9:

I'm frequently in and out of DC so I'm probably getting the restricted airspace in my head because of that. Different animal than airspace over airports. Appreciate the correction. :9:
Yes, there are several areas around the country where flying anything overhead is restricted, and DC certainly has a lot of them, especially after 9/11.
Still, I get the feeling that 'jet pack dude' doesn't have what's needed to be buzzing over LAX anyway. This means that someone is going to find out (if they don't already know) the place where his flights are originating and this guy will be getting a visit from the feds real soon.

Yes, there are several areas around the country where flying anything overhead is restricted, and DC certainly has a lot of them, especially after 9/11.
Still, I get the feeling that 'jet pack dude' doesn't have what's needed to be buzzing over LAX anyway. This means that someone is going to find out (if they don't already know) the place where his flights are originating and this guy will be getting a visit from the feds real soon.

Good luck visiting him on his alien spacecraft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom