Pink Floyd's Animals (1 Viewer)

wnelson

Who Dat Nation
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Animals is fantastic. Probably my favorite Floyd album from beginning to end. Looking forward to the reissue.

Favorite Animals memory is that time I caught the Les Claypool Frog Brigade show in Vegas (it didn’t start til midnight). The entire second set was Animals and they sounded fantastic. The guitar player had a pig mask on the whole time.

I have live frogs and its glorious

Flipx99

Thanks MJ!
Reaction score
Gosh I can't possibly imagine why anybody would think this is depressing:

**** man, if that don't bring you down I don't know what does.

I absolutely love playing that song for people who have never heard it before. The look of horror on their faces as they hear those words warms my heart.

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
That's a perfect example right there, when I read the lyrics I can hear the music in my head and it's awesome. Plus the best part of Dogs is when he says the part about stabbing someone in the back. Listen to the album without lyrics and tell me that album isn't awesome.

Again, I am not saying that it is not a great album from an artistic standpoint. You can say it's awesome all day long and I'll never disagree with you - but I find it hard to listen to. I can get depressed all by myself, I don't need the man in the radio giving me an extra push.

OP
OP
Scorpius the Allfather

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
Reaction score
It's one of my favorite Floyd albums and I've been learning the album on guitar recently (but I need a delay pedal). The guitar work is subtle but very good and the solos are very soulful. Lyrically it's one of the most socially conscience works I've ever heard.

I'm interested in some of the 5.1's you have. Obscured and Meddle would be high on my list. I can even trade you some of my bootlegs if you don't have them. I have their very first appearance in the US at a radio station in San Fran. I also have a version of Animals with the original lyrics and music which is quite different than the official release. Also, Dark Side and The Wall live. Both of them are very good recordings during the first leg of each tour. For those unaware, Floyd always played the songs just like the album on the first leg and then would do alternate versions on the second leg. I'll PM you in a bit.

Side note. I think the Pigs on the wing bridge solo is Doyle Bramhal Jr and not David Gilmour. Every one I've heard is certainly not David.

EDIT: Scratch the Animals alternates. I can't find it, but I do have The Wall outtakes.

When it comes to official releases I have Darkside and Wish You Were Here in SACD and in dts 5.1 blu-ray and dvd. I have The Division Bell in dts 5.1 blu-ray. I have Meddle 5.1 blu-ray. The Endless River dts 5.1 blu-ray. Unofficially I have the fan made version of all those albums in dts. 5.1 dvd. I don't have blu-ray copying software so I don't know how to trade the blu-rays but everything else I can copy. Now I can copy Meddle since it was something I downloaded but the others are the original disc. Oh, also I have the movie version of The Wall in 720P.

OP
OP
Scorpius the Allfather

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
Reaction score
Again, I am not saying that it is not a great album from an artistic standpoint. You can say it's awesome all day long and I'll never disagree with you - but I find it hard to listen to. I can get depressed all by myself, I don't need the man in the radio giving me an extra push.

I feel you. I guess stuff like that doesn't bother me so I never had a clue that someone would find Animals to be depressing.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ha ha charade you are

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mPoIexOXm20?start=12" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wnelson

Who Dat Nation
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I literally thought of the song when I saw that episode live.

also, it would be best if we don't **** with cartman

wnelson

Who Dat Nation
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Tell me true tell me why was Jesus crucified
Is it for this that daddy died?
Was it for you? was it me?
Did I watch too much t.v.?
Is that a hint of accusation in your eyes?
If it wasn't for the nips
Being so good at building ships
The yards would still be open on the clyde
And it can't be much fun for them
Beneath the rising sun
With all their kids committing suicide
What have we done maggie what have we done
What have we done to England
Should we shout should we scream
"What happened to the post war dream?"
Oh Maggie Maggie what did we do?

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gosh I can't possibly imagine why anybody would think this is depressing:

**** man, if that don't bring you down I don't know what does.

I'm not going to pretend that Roger Waters's lyrics can't be dark and negative - though I think many of the songs are actually rejecting the bleak picture of the human experience that he paints.

Clearly, after the experience the band had with Dark Side, an album that took them from being a roster artist at the label, to being superstars, Waters was very critical of the music business and the greed that drives it. People talk about Have a Cigar or Welcome to the Machine in that conversation but I think Dogs is an extension of the same feeling. I think the tone of the lyrics in Dogs is very condemning of that reality - not succumbing to it. But either way, Pink Floyd is more about sonic landscape and musical emotion than about lyrics. And Animals represents that idea more than any other album, at least since before Meddle.

Dogs is 17:06 and exactly 5:45 of that is lyrics (I just charted it). There's so much about that song that is thrilling, getting hung up on the content about the cut-throat mentality kind of misses the point, IMO.

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
you-are-wrong-and-i-am-right.jpg

I'm not going to pretend that Roger Waters's lyrics can't be dark and negative - though I think many of the songs are actually rejecting the bleak picture of the human experience that he paints.

I would agree that he's pointing out those situations to expose them, not endorse them. To me, it doesn't make it any less depressing. I already know those things exist, I don't need them pointed out to me musically. But again, that's just me.

I think the tone of the lyrics in Dogs is very condemning of that reality - not succumbing to it. But either way, Pink Floyd is more about sonic landscape and musical emotion than about lyrics.

The arrangement/instrumentation makes it sound like a surrender IMO. There's not much there that's uplifting to me. Maybe the last song, but that's not enough to make me listen to the whole album. I'd rather just listen to Meddle again. Or even Wish You Were Here, which for all it's negativity, has a little more "bounce."

Again, you all can preach all day about how amazing it is, and I won't disagree. I still find it hard to listen to. That's just how I feel. I'm not saying it's bad and I'm not missing the point. It's just not for me. Sorry. I will say the bass tracks on that album are some of the best I've ever heard, as a fan of bass guitar.

OP
OP
Scorpius the Allfather

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic!
Reaction score
I'm putting this here because I think more people may read it. Its not Pink Floyd but I can make copies of Rush's Fly By Night and Signals dvd-audio 5.1 but they technically can only be played on a blu-ray player. I don't have the software so I can't rip other albums by them to copy. And for Dream Theater I have a fan made version of Metropolis pt.2: Scenes From A Memory and Disc 1 of Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence in DTS 5.1 on the same disc. They sound much better than the cd versions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom