Pipe Dream Talk: What if We Get Aiyuk and Simmons? (1 Viewer)

I mean... I think Kubiak can be a better play caller and more effective OC in general than Pete was... My issue is... Most games will come down to a half-dozen plays or so... most NFL games are typically that tight.... and one bad decision can lead to landslide momentum swings... Allen will still be making those decisions... Do we punt on 4th and 1 up two points from the 45? Do we not challenge that obvious call because we are "saving it"? Do we run clock on 2nd and 10 before the half when the other team still has a TO? Do we sit an important player with a minor injury in a must win situation? Do we opt for a long FG or do we trust our QB and new OC?

These are just some examples of why I am doubtful of any real improvements to this team while Allen is HC... Even the best ship with the best crew is basically adrift without a competent Captain.
Spot on!!! If Kubiak is as competent as we think, maybe he can help with those critical gametime decisions?

Out of two players, I think we have a legitimate shot at getting Simmons.

Aiyuk would fit the offense like a glove better than any current WR on the roster. He also wants to get paid, but if you factor that Carr's contract is a bargain with Haener/Rattler as options after Carr on bargain contracts paying 1 WR with the rest on rookie deals is not a bad way to operate even while trying to get the books right.
That one WR is called Chris Olave.

Why do people get so moon eyed over whatever scraps other teams are letting fall off their dinner table?

Well I know why, but it might come across as insulting.

If the Giants can trade for Burns as a dumpster fire organization, we as a middle of the road team, should trade for Aiyuk and sign Simmons if necessary. I would look to pay Aiyuk just a bit more than Deebo Samuel, top 10 money and watch it barely be a top 18 contract in two years.

If the Giants can trade for Burns as a dumpster fire organization, we as a middle of the road team, should trade for Aiyuk and sign Simmons if necessary. I would look to pay Aiyuk just a bit more than Deebo Samuel, top 10 money and watch it barely be a top 18 contract in two years.
Some believe that if we get Aiyuk and pay him, there won't be any money left for Olave.

Some believe that if we get Aiyuk and pay him, there won't be any money left for Olave.
Olave hasn’t been worth what we traded up to get him. The main reason for Aiyuk imho, is so you aren’t forced into paying Olave in two years because of lack of talent.

We are projected to be 88M over the cap next year. Kamara and Ram could be post-June 1 cuts saving 33M and we could push 20M into the future with Carr. That leaves 35M over plus Aiyuk's contract with a need to sign Olave.

I see Aiyuk as filling a need (physical WR who fills the X and makes contested catches over the middle with RAC) but at the expense of Olave who hasn't hit his ceiling yet and inexpensive players Perry/Wilson who may prove reliable value.

We are projected to be 88M over the cap next year. Kamara and Ram could be post-June 1 cuts saving 33M and we could push 20M into the future with Carr. That leaves 35M over plus Aiyuk's contract with a need to sign Olave.

I see Aiyuk as filling a need (physical WR who fills the X and makes contested catches over the middle with RAC) but at the expense of Olave who hasn't hit his ceiling yet and inexpensive players Perry/Wilson who may prove reliable value.
Don't disagree. What I collect to be true about this offensive system, is that it places a ton of value on the X receiver. Doesn't matter if it's Shanahan or Kubiak, the scheme funnels itself through the X. Olave is a Z receiver, who was drafted for the Sean Payton system that had been lacking a good Z since Ted Ginn.

For that matter signing Aiyuk to be the guy at X and then seeing if Shaheed or Perry can take over Z ( I think Perry plays like a Big Z instead of an X) may be the more feasible route down the line. I don't know what Olave's ceiling is, but it's not Steve Smith...I'll pass. He seems to me like a Brandin Cooks type value. Consistent 1000 yard receiver but not dynamic by any stretch

Don't disagree. What I collect to be true about this offensive system, is that it places a ton of value on the X receiver. Doesn't matter if it's Shanahan or Kubiak, the scheme funnels itself through the X. Olave is a Z receiver, who was drafted for the Sean Payton system that had been lacking a good Z since Ted Ginn.

For that matter signing Aiyuk to be the guy at X and then seeing if Shaheed or Perry can take over Z ( I think Perry plays like a Big Z instead of an X) may be the more feasible route down the line. I don't know what Olave's ceiling is, but it's not Steve Smith...I'll pass. He seems to me like a Brandin Cooks type value. Consistent 1000 yard receiver but not dynamic by any stretch

Agree with all, unfortunately. I wish Perry seemed more physical. I wish Olave looked like more than a 1B WR.

There are some Olave sideline catches last year (Carolina, GB, Vikings) that give me hope he can be more. He can separate and make acrobatic catches. His RAC went from 210y on 72 catches (2.9y/r) in 2022 to 347y on 87 catches (4.0y/r) in 2023. He was a better WR last year with a worse OL. I'm excited to see players in a new system and hopeful for Olave to take a leap to a 1300y guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom