pizza (1 Viewer)

Well this is an interesting topic. I live in Germany and generally the pizza is pretty bad here. Lots of wierd toppings like tuna fish, or hot dogs with pickles. Chewy, undercooked crust is the norm. You can order a proscuitto pizza anywhere but it's just gonna be normal deli ham, not proscuitto. It's wierd because we are like a 3 hour drive to Italy. You would think it would be better.

So, sadly we get pizza hut about once a month and that is about the best I can find. Pizza hut is the only place in Europe with pepperoni, as well. So a large pan pepperoni lovers is the ticket.

You can find some smaller wood fired pizza shops that are decent if you just order something simple like a salami pizza.

The best pizza was in Italy, bar none. The best pasta, too. The best gnocchi, too. The best wine, too. Italy was just amazing really.

Also ate like a king in Greece. Great food, huge portions, and amazing service and hospitality. Gained weight even though we were walking 10-15 miles a day.

That's strange because Italy's neighbor to the West (France) has really good pizza and almost every little bistro/restaurant has a wood fired grill. I had an absolutely outstanding seafood pizza (spicy clam sauce, clams, shrimp, mussels and calamari) at this little Bistro near Dijon, one of the best pizza's I've ever had and the crust was thin, crispy but just crusty enough....Yum....

That's strange because Italy's neighbor to the West (France) has really good pizza and almost every little bistro/restaurant has a wood fired grill. I had an absolutely outstanding seafood pizza (spicy clam sauce, clams, shrimp, mussels and calamari) at this little Bistro near Dijon, one of the best pizza's I've ever had and the crust was thin, crispy but just crusty enough....Yum....

Well it's France vs Germany for food?? That's no competition lol.

Six pages in and nobody has even made mention of frozen pizza? :covri: I know I'll likely catch hell for bringing it up, but I can't always get to or afford the fresh local pizza, so I turn to the boxed stuff for my fix. I enjoy the BBQ chicken pizza from California Pizza Kitchen. It's good, as far as frozen pizza goes.

Six pages in and nobody has even made mention of frozen pizza? :covri: I know I'll likely catch hell for bringing it up, but I can't always get to or afford the fresh local pizza, so I turn to the boxed stuff for my fix. I enjoy the BBQ chicken pizza from California Pizza Kitchen. It's good, as far as frozen pizza goes.
yeah something seemed to happen maybe 10 or so years ago
both chain pizza and frozen pizza got remarkably better

On occasion, I buy Home Run Inn frozen pizza. They're a Chicago chain that is more known for their frozen pizza than their restaurant pizza.

mmm pizza rolls

On occasion, I buy Home Run Inn frozen pizza. They're a Chicago chain that is more known for their frozen pizza than their restaurant pizza.
i normally keep one pepperoni on hand, but i haven't found them at albertson's lately.

Sounds like I may need to pop in at Albertson's this week and grab one of these to try. Never had it.

Alright Peabody, tell Sherman to get the wayback machine ready and you can learn us about pizza’s origins
Pizza/flatbreads were around before pizza became a common food known to Naples, Italians in the early 1800’s. But in the form most know pizza as as it is today, pretty much in Naples, Italy. They used coal because it was cheap and gave the pizza crust a charred taste. The water of Naples and the readily available tomatoes were also key (no tomato sauce). Neapolitan pizzas, consisted primarily of garlic, basil, olive oil, tomatoes, cheese and of course; anchovies. The Neapolitan pizza is no larger (round) than 10” in diameter, cooked for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, in a coal fired oven.

Believe it or not, pizza throughout Italy was not so common early on, in the 1800’s. It did however, become more widely popular and common thru the rest of Italy, post WWII. The Italian immigrants that came to America, Americanized the pizza using many varied types toppings. Street vendors of Italian descent started the trend of various toppings, to attract Americans to the pizza. And of course, Lombardo’s was the very first officially approved and recognized sit down pizza restaurant in America.

Flatbreads were common to the Greeks, Egyptians and the Romans as well, way before the Italians knew to call theirs pizza. Italians were poor people and needed cheap food. Pizza was it.
That is it in a nutshell.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom