pizza (1 Viewer)

Pizza/flatbreads were around before pizza became a common food known to Naples, Italians in the early 1800’s. But in the form most know pizza as as it is today, pretty much in Naples, Italy. They used coal because it was cheap and gave the pizza crust a charred taste. The water of Naples and the readily available tomatoes were also key (no tomato sauce). Neapolitan pizzas, consisted primarily of garlic, basil, olive oil, tomatoes, cheese and of course; anchovies. The Neapolitan pizza is no larger (round) than 10” in diameter, cooked for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, in a coal fired oven.

Believe it or not, pizza throughout Italy was not so common early on, in the 1800’s. It did however, become more widely popular and common thru the rest of Italy, post WWII. The Italian immigrants that came to America, Americanized the pizza using many varied types toppings. Street vendors of Italian descent started the trend of various toppings, to attract Americans to the pizza. And of course, Lombardo’s was the very first officially approved and recognized sit down pizza restaurant in America.

Flatbreads were common to the Greeks, Egyptians and the Romans as well, way before the Italians knew to call theirs pizza. Italians were poor people and needed cheap food. Pizza was it.
That is it in a nutshell.
All of which support buzd’scontentions, no?

I used to like Papa Johns but I now think of it as the worst out of Domino's and Pizza Hut

Same here. Idk what happened, but PJs is just meh now. Used to really like it. Particularly with their garlic butter. Wife always liked that they include banana peppers. But it's just not the same anymore.

Locally it's Salvatore's crab and shrimp with basil/oregano, tomato sauce, and Parmesan/Mozzarella cheese.

All of which support buzd’scontentions, no?
And like I said in response to buzd, not sure why you need to defend her, but I did say there is no right, or no wrongs, when it comes to pizza toppings. However, I am a traditionalist. Just the way I am, when it comes to pizza. Whatever floats your boat.

And like I said in response to buzd, not sure why you need to defend her, but I did say there is no right, or no wrongs, when it comes to pizza toppings. However, I am a traditionalist. Just the way I am, when it comes to pizza. Whatever floats your boat.

That's not actually what you said.

You made what appears to be a definitive statement as if you are the authority:

Your choice, but it is sloppy food, not pizza. :idunno:

Which you are now choosing to represent as your opinion, but that's not how it was originally framed.

Last edited:
Same here. Idk what happened, but PJs is just meh now. Used to really like it. Particularly with their garlic butter. Wife always liked that they include banana peppers. But it's just not the same anymore.
The taste took a nose dive after John Schnatter was ousted, I believe he put out a statement saying that the new CEO went cheap. PJ's was my favorite over abundant franchise pizza chain, now not so much.

The taste took a nose dive after John Schnatter was ousted, I believe he put out a statement saying that the new CEO went cheap. PJ's was my favorite over abundant franchise pizza chain, now not so much.
when i worked for pj, in 1998 or 99, the sauce was handmade (ish).

crushed cans of tomatoes, different spices, a few other ingredients, and infinitely better than the pre-packaged dominos pouches you added water to.

i don't think pj's sauce is the same as it was.

I’ve been ordering Hut since I moved to Ascension, don’t like the other chains so much, and they at least have decent boneless wings. If anyone has suggestions, I’d love to hear them. I’m right off Airline on the P-Ville/Gonzales border

I’ve been ordering Hut since I moved to Ascension, don’t like the other chains so much, and they at least have decent boneless wings. If anyone has suggestions, I’d love to hear them. I’m right off Airline on the P-Ville/Gonzales border
there is a "lit pizza" in gonzales, off airline. i've only been to one once (dallas), but i thought it was pretty good

there is a "lit pizza" in gonzales, off airline. i've only been to one once (dallas), but i thought it was pretty good

Yea that’s actually right in front my ‘hood. My only hangup with Lit has been if I don’t ask for light cheese, they always seem to come out almost soggy.

I’ve got a bias, but my favorite pizza in Louisiana is still the Johnny’s Pizza Sweep the Kitchen. IMO it’s the best carry out pizza there is.

However, perhaps due to the altitude, I’ve discovered there are numerous great pizzas in Colorado. My favorite so far is AJ’a Pizzeria in Woodland Park, CO. The pizza sauce and crust are simply a perfect marriage of flavor. The toppings are not cheap and the garlic knots are to die for.

A close 2nd is Crosscut Pizza in Nederland, CO. But they don’t have anything to compare with AJ’s garlic knots.

I’ve got a bias, but my favorite pizza in Louisiana is still the Johnny’s Pizza Sweep the Kitchen. IMO it’s the best carry out pizza there is.

However, perhaps due to the altitude, I’ve discovered there are numerous great pizzas in Colorado. My favorite so far is AJ’a Pizzeria in Woodland Park, CO. The pizza sauce and crust are simply a perfect marriage of flavor. The toppings are not cheap and the garlic knots are to die for.

A close 2nd is Crosscut Pizza in Nederland, CO. But they don’t have anything to compare with AJ’s garlic knots.
is johnny's pizza the place in ruston? if so, i went there once. pretty good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom