PJ Williams placed on IR (confirmed) (1 Viewer)

If we are tanking or if we aren't it doesn't matter much to me as I don't think we are a playoff team anyway, at least not with all the injuries.

But to those claiming that we are tanking the season, when, in Sean's history here have we ever tanked? We have had 2 consecutive seasons where, by throwing the final game, we could have secured a top 10 pick, yet we won those games and were stuck picking in the teens.

A coach with a track record like that I don't think is looking to tank an entire season, especially when his chair is already heating up.

He may never play again. I don't think I would.

Our exciting 2015 draft class has dwindled to just four players: Peat, Anthony, Davison, and Murphy. Anthony's playing time has been cut, Murphy was benched last week, Davison has been mediocre so far this season, and Peat has settled in at the least important position on the line.

We have to hope Kikaha and Swann come back strong.

On one end I agree with Bclemms that drafting a RB high in "Today's" NFL is a waste but how quickly is "Today's" NFL Shifting?

As more teams start bringing in these Hybrid Safety/LB's to contend with the passing game having a Bruising RB that can play all 3 downs feels like a very good counter to those style of defenses especially now that LB's are in the 230 range more often than the 250 range of years b4.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: the CB-needy Saints worked out former former Colts CB D&#39;Joun Smith. He was a 2015 3rd round pick.</p>&mdash; Field Yates (@FieldYates) <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/779060502542639108">September 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hngh. Man. If this guy couldn't make the Colts secondary...

Da well. Wonder if it went well...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: the CB-needy Saints worked out former former Colts CB D&#39;Joun Smith. He was a 2015 3rd round pick.</p>&mdash; Field Yates (@FieldYates) <a href="https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/779060502542639108">September 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hngh. Man. If this guy couldn't make the Colts secondary...

Da well. Wonder if it went well...

BOTTOM LINE Smith possesses above average ball skills and instincts, but questions about his ability to keep up with vertical speed could push his draft stock down a little bit. Smith's cleanest fit might be in a Cover 2 scheme, but he has starting talent.

Seems like a fit considering how much Cover 2 we've been playing...especially after Breaux went down.

D'Joun Smith Draft Profile

On one end I agree with Bclemms that drafting a RB high in "Today's" NFL is a waste but how quickly is "Today's" NFL Shifting?

As more teams start bringing in these Hybrid Safety/LB's to contend with the passing game having a Bruising RB that can play all 3 downs feels like a very good counter to those style of defenses especially now that LB's are in the 230 range more often than the 250 range of years b4.

The NFL seems to shift every 5-10 years. Some shifts are more significant than others. Back in the early/mid-2000's you had the speedster RBs like LT and Chris Johnson. Then, came along the hard-nosed backs like Lynch, Gore, Doug Martin, and Stewart.

Similar things happened with QBs, but not quite as frequent. In the late 90's and early 00's we saw the emergence of the mobile QBs such as Cardell Stewart and eventually Mike Vick. It didn't quite spread around the league, though. You still saw the prominence of the "pocket QB's" like Brady, Brees, the Manning brothers, and Rivers. It wasn't unti Aaron Rodgers that we started seeing the rise modern, mobile QB's. Then we saw the likes of Newton, Wilson, Kaepernick, Winston, Manual, etc.

The NFL is a copy-cat league. Teams will attempt to mimic what's worked for a majority of the top teams. Last season was interesting, though. The SB featured a traditional picket passer vs a modern-era mobile QB. Now, look at the newest crop of starting QB's - tall, pocket-style passers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom