Saints Plan my trip to NOLA (1 Viewer)

jamesk

Veteran
Reaction score
Just booked flights and accommodation for my first visit from UK.

Flying over on 21st November - flying home a week later on Thanksgiving Day - which is perhaps not ideal but the difference in price for travelling that day was about $400.

Staying in a Poydras Street hotel.

Please suggest some tourist things to do, and any traps to avoid. Should I get match tickets now or later (vs Panthers, LSU vs Arkansas)?

I'm so incredibly excited to finally be coming to the city and the Superdome!

Yep the world war ll museum is a must see. Plan that to be a day.

I would suggest getting to city park. Plenty of things to do take the canal Street street car the track ends at city park right in front of the new Orleans museum of art.

Thanks. Restaurants - a bit of both I guess, but ones that locals would go to.

I've heard Cafe Du Monde is a bit of a tourist trap, so, want to avoid places like that and get to the places where I might bump in to locals rather then tourists. Oh; and I want to eat gumbo

I've heard Cafe Du Monde is a bit of a tourist trap, so, want to avoid places like that and get to the places where I might bump in to locals rather then tourists. Oh; and I want to eat gumbo

I just came back from my vacation just recently. I did everything that is mentioned and you can't go wrong with any of them. There also is a few plantation tours that I found very interesting and informational. The swamp tours are really cool just make sure you have mosquito repellent I got eaten up and they look like gnats and the Gators should be active at this time.

I ate at the Gumbo shop on St Peter St and I had a Shrimp Po'boy good stuff I ate way too much! Cafe Du Monde is a madhouse I would ask the locals where a better place is. The Cemetary tours start and end at Cafe Du Monde. I really liked the Saints Hall of Fame,it's short but stuffed of history and you get to go into the Dome. I hope you have as good of a time as I did ,it was definitely a vacation of a lifetime. The WWII museum like all have said is really a must see we spent all day and that was minus the show at the end which is about 45 minutes.

While tons of tourists enjoy CDM, it is an institution in NOLA and is enjoyed equally by locals. Not to be missed.

Really CDM anytime it’s dark,
No line, same wonderful beignets.

Go in the morning....good luck.

One of my favorite things to do in NOLA is to ride the streetcar basically anywhere down St. Charles, get off, and just walk the streets south of SC. It’s insanely Louisiana beautiful. Monster trees, you can just feel the history, old mansions that are stunning, sidewalks blown up by roots, it’s so special.

The Garden District is the most famous, but there are miles and miles of the greatest walking streets this side of Charleston. Try the ones by Audubon Park.....a few miles west of Garden District.

A hidden gem that we enjoy is the IMAX at the aquarium.
Right downtown, you can see awesome IMAX documentary movies for $6.50. They are nature based and stunning!!!

One more hidden gem is a club on Bourbon called “Tropical Isle Bayou Club”. While most every club there plays your standard fare rock covers.....TIBC is the only place playing true authentic Cajun zydeco. And the bands DOMINATE!!

Sitting a few feet away as these native Cajuns are ripping the accordion and jamming in true French Cajun, it’s the friggen coolest thing.

NOLA is a special place.

Obviously, hit the quarter. The WWII museum and Audubon Park are nice spots. As always, I’ll strongly recommend Domilise’s for at least one meal. Their po boys are outstanding. Hole in the wall joint, nothing fancy, cash only. It’s a must for me any time I’m in NOLA.

I like Tujague's on S. Peter but haven't been back since Steve passed away a while back. Bourbon House, Lukes, Restaurant August, any number of other places. A bunch of great places in the Warehouse District. Dang near forgot Cochon's on Tchoupitoulas - pretty spectacular real Cajun food. I used to live on Tchoupitoulas and you never forget how to spell that.

Best bar in town French 75 on Bienville - Esquire rates it Top 5 in the country. Bring your wallet and don't order a beer. Lucy's in the Warehouse District is fun. You know as cheesy as it can be the main bar at Pat O'Brien's on a football Saturday afternoon can be fun - just don't order a Hurricane. Also, the Carousel Bar at the Hotel Monteleone on Royal Street- only in New Orleans. Right across the street from Mr. B's another great place to eat.

WWII Museum is out-of-this-world good. Even the American Sector Cafe is good. Also, every Pom should go visit the Chalmette Battlefield and pay respects to your fallen soldiers. The amazing place about it is how small the battlefield is and how many died there - 3 weeks AFTER the Ghent Peace Treaty had been signed. I guess you can take the Creole Queen from Spanish Plaza down to Chalmette and knock out a river cruise too - much better than a Swamp Tour.

LSU games on Saturday are a treat especially when your alma mater does this:

Saturday morning get up early. Ride the streetcar uptown and have breakfast at camillia grill. Ride it back to Audubon park. Walk around park and check out Drew's house. Walk though Tulane's campus and tailgate for the UCF/Tulane game. The new stadium is actually quite inviting and Tulane will be competitive this year. Then, hit Commanders or Column's or Luke's on way back to hotel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom