plantation tour help (1 Viewer)

soupcan dan

just the salad please
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
a friend of ours would like to take a bus tour outta nola early next month and visit an historic plantation but is overwhelmed by the many, many bus tour offerings.

i'm no help in anything outside the city---especially not concerning food or trouble.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

saints by 40!

I think Houmas house on river road in Gonzales is beautiful and the tour is very nice.

There's also an excellent restaurant on the grounds.

Rosedown in St Francisville was always my favorite plantation in southern LA, but is a bit farther out of the city and I have heard the grounds are not kept up like they were under previous ownership (it is state owned now).

Oak alley is a good choice for something not too far from the city.

I did oak alley a couple years ago when I was there with some first timers and I'd recommend it. Plenty of good spots for photos, the grounds were well kept, and the tour of the house is nice and in my opinion at least wasn't overly long. I'm fairly certain there's a restaurant there but we had already eaten before we got there so we didn't try it, and they were selling mint julep's alongside the house itself.

Southdown Plantation in Houma is an awesome tour, I took my wife there on her first trip to Louisiana since I'm from Houma. They also have some great restaurants right down the road.

The Whitney was very eye opening. They don't glorify antibellum life but present a more raw view of the times including the brutality of slavery. You have a choice; history or aesthetics.

I would recommend Oak Alley and Laura plantation. My gf is a tour guide at Laura and she always tells me their tour experience is better. They are both right down the road from each other.

Over the years, I have been to just about everyone on the river road and Laura Plantation is by the far the best tour I have been on. They show you how the house was built. Really a great tour.

We drove, the people I was with rented a car because they didn't believe me that uber/walking/taxi's were sufficient.

The Whitney was very eye opening. They don't glorify antibellum life but present a more raw view of the times including the brutality of slavery. You have a choice; history or aesthetics.

I was turned off by the idea of it being promoted as anything other than the homes of evil people living well off of kidnapping, murder, rape,etc

Seeing what you've typed, im open to giving the Whitney Tour a chance.

if i may without sounding ungrateful--------- which tour bus company/

Grey Line tours works Oak Alley regularly.....several times per week. I used to work at Oak Alley & they seemed to have their Schlitz together.

Oak Alley is an excellent choice. Nice tour (my mother used to give French tours there) and the oaks are something to see. The restaurant is not the best, but not bad either.

Houma's House has the best grounds in the area, IMO. It's much smaller, so more care can be given to the annuals, etc. near the main house. The eating at Houma's House is very good....highly recommend.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom