Plastic Models - Who still builds them? (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Sticky Post
A thread on retirement prompted me to share this -

Over the past couple of years I have really gotten back into it. I have focused on sci-fi stuff and have been accumulating a model stash for years as I find things that I like.

Because of the nature of the models I typically add lights and I am considering sound effects on a couple of others. I have been experimenting with controlling light circuits with Arduino, adding sound should'nt be too much trouble. I have an experiment going now where I have added a Bluetooth shield to the Arduino and written a little phone app that allows me to control the Arduino from the phone wirelessly. This will be developed into a full fledged controller for a 1/350 Enterprise A I am building especially for my office.

There is a local group of modellers in Lafayette that I've met. Good group, but I cannot get to the meetings most of the year because of conflicts in my schedule.

Here are some pics of my recently completed BSG Viper Mk. I+ (the + is because I made some enhancements to the original Viper.

Attachments

Last edited:

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Season 1 Batmobile in the paint booth. Priming prior to applying several coats of glossy black paint in order to achieve an 'automotive' finish.
Any new pics?

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
A little engine compartment work done - still need to run cables, hoses, etc.
What's the yellow box prop in the corner? Any new Batmobile pics?

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Any new pics?
Actually just started working on the Batmobile again this weekend. Between football games and traveling for business the work has been really slow. Here are a couple:

1. On the bench, working on the cockpit.
2. Some cockpit details, including the Mobile Batphone.
3. Bare Metal Foil on the windshield frames.
4. Fourth coat of gloss black waiting to be wet sanded.

Attachments

HoustonSaint68

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Tres cool. Do you have a link or reference where I can find the model for purchase?

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
OK - I have returned to the bench. Batmobile still being painted. Did a quick build of an Angel Interceptor from Captain Scarlett which awaits decals and I have returned to working on the cockpit of a Viper MkII (including lights, fiber optics, gels, etc.)

Attachments

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I am finally able to get back to my paint booth (the garage has been a mess and really too hot to paint in lately) so I am moving projects along again.

1. Batmobile - finish & mount to display
2. Jonny Quest Dragonfly - prime, finish and weather
3. BSG Viper Mk. II - prime, finish and weather

Once these are moving along I am starting a 1/350 TOS Enterprise complete with lighting and other electronics. This one will be about 3' long when complete. I will not be painting the starship according to canon (blasphemy!) but painting it as I see it in my mind's eye. Universe of Science Fiction

There are a lot of kits stashed in the "model closet" which need to be built before I can add more (yeah, right - and she cannot buy any more purses either) but the one I have set my sites on is a 1/35 Jupiter II from Lost in Space. I will be starting that one soon and it will include lighting, fiber optics, etc. 18" in diameter when complete and Polar Lights is supposed to be coming out with a chariot and space pod in the same scale. Should be fun!

Attachments

Farb

Brave Sir Robbin
Reaction score
I use to have my ceiling covered in WWII fighters as a kid. I did put together a model of the CSS Alabama but later shot it with a bb gun when I got older, still regret that. Took me almost a year to complete.
This summer, my son and I put together a few little models (Tie Interceptor, M-41 Bulldog) and he kind of got into it so we bought one of the CSS Constitution (pricey) but now that the real one is out of dry dock, next summer (hopefully the model will be complete) we plan to go up and take a tour.

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Got a couple of more in the paint booth for priming now that the pain booth isn't blocked by crap. Viper Mk II (BSG) and Jonny Quest Dragonfly. Need to finish up the almost complete Batmobile.

I have at least 4 models going at once all the time. Mostly because I don't get a lot of time to work on them.

Attachments

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I use to have my ceiling covered in WWII fighters as a kid.
Yep... with a Heinkel He 111 with one engine on fire (using painted cotton) being tailed by a British Spitfire...

I picked this up the other day... It was supposed to be a Map plotting ship from WW2 but it turned out to be a Steel Model for gaming from the 60's.

Attachments

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Calling the Jonny Quest Dragonfly done after getting the white paint to spray properly from the airbrush.

I started working on Batman having never done a figure before and went with doing the face first (I've never done faces before) as it would determine if I would pursue finishing the model. all I have left are the eyes, but I think the face turned out ok in general.

So, on the bench: BSG Viper Mk II, TOS U.S.S. Enterprise (3 feet long when done), Batman, 1966 Batmobile (which I am leaving alone for now as I got really frustrated with it and don't want to screw it up by working on it mad.)

Attachments

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Got a couple of more in the paint booth for priming now that the pain booth isn't blocked by crap. Viper Mk II (BSG) and Jonny Quest Dragonfly. Need to finish up the almost complete Batmobile.

I have at least 4 models going at once all the time. Mostly because I don't get a lot of time to work on them.
Finished up the Dragonfly and got the paint on the Viper MkII. Here is it with an older MkI Viper I showed earlier in the thread.

Attachments

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom