Plastic Models - Who still builds them? (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Sticky Post
A thread on retirement prompted me to share this -

Over the past couple of years I have really gotten back into it. I have focused on sci-fi stuff and have been accumulating a model stash for years as I find things that I like.

Because of the nature of the models I typically add lights and I am considering sound effects on a couple of others. I have been experimenting with controlling light circuits with Arduino, adding sound should'nt be too much trouble. I have an experiment going now where I have added a Bluetooth shield to the Arduino and written a little phone app that allows me to control the Arduino from the phone wirelessly. This will be developed into a full fledged controller for a 1/350 Enterprise A I am building especially for my office.

There is a local group of modellers in Lafayette that I've met. Good group, but I cannot get to the meetings most of the year because of conflicts in my schedule.

Here are some pics of my recently completed BSG Viper Mk. I+ (the + is because I made some enhancements to the original Viper.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Current model status:

Batmobile: back in the box awaiting inspiration to finish. If you regularly build you'll understand this.
TOS Enterprise: work in progress and currently working on the electrical lighting harness. Lights to be controlled with an Arduino Mini.
Viper MkII: time to add decals and finish up with blast marks from the enemy.
Batman: still trying to make cap fit more "naturally", then I can paint and finish.

I have been asked to write a couple of articles for a new builder magazine coming out in September/October. They want to focus on out of the box builds, so nothing fancy. Since Star Wars is "hot" I am going to build one of Ban Dai's kits for the first article. Second article I am not sure of yet. We talked about an article on basic lighting too.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I used to do models all the time. I was pretty good at it too. The ARJROTC unit at West Monroe High School still has several of the ones I built as a kid. Everything from a huge B-1B bomber and F-117 to the Space Shuttle Columbia. I got into Star Trek models when I was in the Army.

However, I got out of the hobby when I left the Army. I just don't have time for it anymore. Most of my hobby stuff is centered around woodworking. I'm thinking about getting into 3D printing, which I think would lead into me going back into models as well. I used to cast my own resin model parts to do customizations. 3D printing would lend itself to that a lot.

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I was asked to write an article for a new magazine coming out this Fall featuring "out-of-the-box" builds so I assembled, decaled and weathered this Ban Dai 1/72 X-Wing, which was in my stash, for the article. That leaves Batman and the TOS Enterprise on the bench (in progress) which also means I'll likely open yet another kit and start on it while working the other two. :ezbill:

Attachments

Joe OKC

"Better Days"
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know you wouldn't understand if I said I needed a Stuka... But sometimes you just gotta trust a fella.. I'd be happy to buy it and let you build it for me... Old Buddy, Old pal... ;)

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I know you wouldn't understand if I said I needed a Stuka... But sometimes you just gotta trust a fella.. I'd be happy to buy it and let you build it for me... Old Buddy, Old pal... ;)
I know exactly what a Stuka is, why you need it is none of my business :ezbill:

sinner mike

All-Pro
Reaction score
This a-4 was nice to build. The f-4 in the background was much more sketchy, however I think I did a good job on the exhaust soot.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
*cough* bull****

I like the paint job. Gives you a sense of scale. No matter how hard I try to give it some variation my painting always comes out kinda one-note and flat. I like painting the small parts but the bigger body/fusilage parts I'm just not very good at.

sinner mike

All-Pro
Reaction score
Huh? When I first posted the img it was inverted.

I haven't figured out the painting yet. Whether it is getting the sprayer right (globs, too much, too little) or masking or doing something out of order, I just haven't put it all together. Plus understanding the qualities or lack of qualities of paint is still a work in progress. However, I now know not to use testers master quality paint. The pigment is great but it comes off with the tape. Yes I use low tack tape.

sinner mike

All-Pro
Reaction score
Rotated it for you. Nice work!
Thanks on both counts. I couldn't understand how it flipped.

Distance is my friend on that pic. I had to paint a good deal by hand due to the paint peeling off with the tape and putty.

For the life of me, I can't get the panel line wash to work right or the way it works on the youtube demonstrations.

sinner mike

All-Pro
Reaction score
Current model status:

Batmobile: back in the box awaiting inspiration to finish. If you regularly build you'll understand this.
TOS Enterprise: work in progress and currently working on the electrical lighting harness. Lights to be controlled with an Arduino Mini.
Viper MkII: time to add decals and finish up with blast marks from the enemy.
Batman: still trying to make cap fit more "naturally", then I can paint and finish.

I have been asked to write a couple of articles for a new builder magazine coming out in September/October. They want to focus on out of the box builds, so nothing fancy. Since Star Wars is "hot" I am going to build one of Ban Dai's kits for the first article. Second article I am not sure of yet. We talked about an article on basic lighting too.
You might consider "burnt metal" enamel (i forget brand) for your bat mobile exhaust. It looks super good for those applications. I use it all the time for jet exhaust. if I feel energetic when I get home I will get the specifics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom