Plastic Models - Who still builds them? (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Sticky Post
A thread on retirement prompted me to share this -

Over the past couple of years I have really gotten back into it. I have focused on sci-fi stuff and have been accumulating a model stash for years as I find things that I like.

Because of the nature of the models I typically add lights and I am considering sound effects on a couple of others. I have been experimenting with controlling light circuits with Arduino, adding sound should'nt be too much trouble. I have an experiment going now where I have added a Bluetooth shield to the Arduino and written a little phone app that allows me to control the Arduino from the phone wirelessly. This will be developed into a full fledged controller for a 1/350 Enterprise A I am building especially for my office.

There is a local group of modellers in Lafayette that I've met. Good group, but I cannot get to the meetings most of the year because of conflicts in my schedule.

Here are some pics of my recently completed BSG Viper Mk. I+ (the + is because I made some enhancements to the original Viper.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Huh? When I first posted the img it was inverted.

I haven't figured out the painting yet. Whether it is getting the sprayer right (globs, too much, too little) or masking or doing something out of order, I just haven't put it all together. Plus understanding the qualities or lack of qualities of paint is still a work in progress. However, I now know not to use testers master quality paint. The pigment is great but it comes off with the tape. Yes I use low tack tape.
This will help - https://www.buildinggundam.com/2017/12/08/secret-airbrushing-not-really-secret/

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I built a lot as a kid, but stoped when the real world (and kids) hit. My dad, late 70s, builds a lot for his hobby. Here’s one he did in the last year. He flew this exact jet.
Wow...very nice!

sinner mike

All-Pro
Reaction score
I built a lot as a kid, but stoped when the real world (and kids) hit. My dad, late 70s, builds a lot for his hobby. Here’s one he did in the last year. He flew this exact jet.
Was he miniaturized? lol

That is nicely done especially the gloss and the stainless steel skin around the exhaust. I'm obsessed with getting the exhaust right. Did your dad fly the recon version or the fighter version of the 101?

FlySaint

Carving up the skies!!!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He flew the recce version, RF-101. Also flew the RF-84 and RF-4, and a few others in the ANG. And airlines as well.

sinner mike

All-Pro
Reaction score
I was just admiring your dad's model and it got me thinking. I am a former aircraft mechanic, worked in the navy, for the navy, boeing, general dynamics and a couple others. I am intrigued by the exhaust nozzles and wondered if the model was not accurate. It is, and that got me thinking, the 101 is a plane built in a transition period for supersonic fighters. The nose, wings and especially intakes employ first generation designs. It still used the J-57 (I was thinking it had J-79s) which was widely used in the military and I think civilian aviation. One version of the KC-135 had J-57s (boeing 700).

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I am almost finished with Batman. Need to get the cape on and the bat-a-rang in place, do some touch up and then I can call him done. This is my first larger scale figure ever.

Attachments

Big_L

Team Big Pimpin'
Reaction score
Good grief, does this thread bring back memories. I had superhero model kits when i was a little kid (3 years old)-- my dad would put them together for me. A few years later, when the famous glow-in-the-dark Aurora monster kits came out, I started to put those together myself and paint them. I had an uncle who worked with the VA home in Biloxi; they had more military model kits than they knew what to do with, so he'd pass quite a few my way. I got better and better at doing them; I did monsters, superheroes, Shogun Warriors, Prehistoric Scenes (those Aurora snap-tite models), cars, tanks, ships, Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, and of course, planes galore. I had at least a dozen completed airplane and spaceship models hanging by thread from my bedroom ceiling. There was even a Goodyear blimp model with a working display light show built in, using an electric motor.... I think that the last model I assembled was when I was 15-- the Buck Rogers starfighter. After that I could drive and was more into girls and such.
The only thing missing from the blimp is "Ice Cube's a Pimp" . . .

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
This is one of the worst kits I've ever assembled and I am going the extra mile by adding lights/fiber optics. Round 2 Klingon Bird of Prey (AMT) 1;350 scale (not quite). Lots of flash, some ill fitting parts, some warped pieces, bad engineering on some critical connection points. However, when life hands you lemons (some of the pieces are beyond repair) you make lemonade (battle damage!).

Attachments

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is one of the worst kits I've ever assembled and I am going the extra mile by adding lights/fiber optics. Round 2 Klingon Bird of Prey (AMT) 1;350 scale (not quite). Lots of flash, some ill fitting parts, some warped pieces, bad engineering on some critical connection points. However, when life hands you lemons (some of the pieces are beyond repair) you make lemonade (battle damage!).
I built one of those many years ago (20+ for sure) and seem to recall issues with getting the top and bottom portions of the wings to match up. I managed to get everything together after a while, but it wasn't easy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom