Plastic Models - Who still builds them? (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Sticky Post
A thread on retirement prompted me to share this -

Over the past couple of years I have really gotten back into it. I have focused on sci-fi stuff and have been accumulating a model stash for years as I find things that I like.

Because of the nature of the models I typically add lights and I am considering sound effects on a couple of others. I have been experimenting with controlling light circuits with Arduino, adding sound should'nt be too much trouble. I have an experiment going now where I have added a Bluetooth shield to the Arduino and written a little phone app that allows me to control the Arduino from the phone wirelessly. This will be developed into a full fledged controller for a 1/350 Enterprise A I am building especially for my office.

There is a local group of modellers in Lafayette that I've met. Good group, but I cannot get to the meetings most of the year because of conflicts in my schedule.

Here are some pics of my recently completed BSG Viper Mk. I+ (the + is because I made some enhancements to the original Viper.

Attachments

Last edited:

FlySaint

Carving up the skies!!!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was just admiring your dad's model and it got me thinking. I am a former aircraft mechanic, worked in the navy, for the navy, boeing, general dynamics and a couple others. I am intrigued by the exhaust nozzles and wondered if the model was not accurate. It is, and that got me thinking, the 101 is a plane built in a transition period for supersonic fighters. The nose, wings and especially intakes employ first generation designs. It still used the J-57 (I was thinking it had J-79s) which was widely used in the military and I think civilian aviation. One version of the KC-135 had J-57s (boeing 700).
Yeah in the 50s and 60s intake and nozzle design was a rapidly developing field, and saw a lot of different design strategies in a relatively short period of time. Today CAD/CAM allows for more complex intake and exhaust shapes, with much more confidence in the design even before going to actual hardware.

The KC-135A had non afterburning J57s that augmented thrust on takeoff by water injection. The purified distilled water, necessary to insure all minerals were removed as to not damage the engines, was more expensive than the JP-4 jet fuel. I flew that jet for about 60 hours before moving to other -135 versions.

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Here is a work in progress: Ban Dai's 1:48 ST-ST. Still need to complete the paint, attach the fiddly bits, weather the machine and finish sculpting/painting Chewbacca.

Attachments

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I finally found the right stepper motors for the Bussards on the TOS Enterprise, so I'll be working on the electronics soon. It's a big kit, almost 3 feet long. I have also started a small diorama with the LIS Chariot from the 60's television show. It will have lights and I am 3D printing the figures. I may go so far as to light the (3" tall) robot.

Attachments

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I packed the kit stash (I didn't count them, but there are several boxes of kits), supplies and built models to get ready for the move. I kept one kit (LIS Chariot) and certain supplies/tools in a separate box, in case I find time to pull it out and work on it while we're trying to get settled.

That was no small feat, but I wanted to make sure everything was tight and padded properly to cut down on issues when unpacking later.

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
It's been over a year since the last post to this thread. I finally got a workbench built, unpacked kits, repaired others from the move. I have piddled about some, but really have not completed anything until this past weekend. Batman finally has his crime-fighting partner, Robin!

robin.jpgdynamic_duo.jpg

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My Dad used to work for Hub City Ford in the mid 50's. He had this collection of Dealer Model Promo cars that I now have. This is a pano shot to get them all in, hence the distorted coffee table.

promo_model_cars.jpg

Dago

Veteran
Reaction score
Think i might try to get back into this

Was pretty into plastic models back in the day and I could probably use a decent hobby at this point in my life

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom