Plastic Models - Who still builds them? (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Sticky Post
A thread on retirement prompted me to share this -

Over the past couple of years I have really gotten back into it. I have focused on sci-fi stuff and have been accumulating a model stash for years as I find things that I like.

Because of the nature of the models I typically add lights and I am considering sound effects on a couple of others. I have been experimenting with controlling light circuits with Arduino, adding sound should'nt be too much trouble. I have an experiment going now where I have added a Bluetooth shield to the Arduino and written a little phone app that allows me to control the Arduino from the phone wirelessly. This will be developed into a full fledged controller for a 1/350 Enterprise A I am building especially for my office.

There is a local group of modellers in Lafayette that I've met. Good group, but I cannot get to the meetings most of the year because of conflicts in my schedule.

Here are some pics of my recently completed BSG Viper Mk. I+ (the + is because I made some enhancements to the original Viper.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

Yatman

threadkiller
Reaction score
used to build lots of armor, especially wehrmacht, and especially tamiya

haven't in decades, but wish there had been a youtube so i could've learned techniques from this guy

best looking armor models i've ever seen

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Not really the same thing but I did recently finish this Lego Ultimate Edition Millenium Falcon . I just have to figure out how I'm going to mount it now. I think I might be becoming a Lego nerd. :LOL:

Bleu Wife got me one of the next size down from your Lego Millenium Falcon for my birthday this year. I really had fun building it and may have taken a step towards being a Lego nerd.

Penguin

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Rickboy, I will say you should go ahead and get the UCS Star Destroyer that came out last fall. Not as intricate as the Falcon, but still a fun build. My "mid-life crisis" focus is pretty much on LEGO.

Takes a fair amount of disposable income to be a LEGO nerd. Not as expensive as being a Jeep nerd, though.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rickboy, I will say you should go ahead and get the UCS Star Destroyer that came out last fall. Not as intricate as the Falcon, but still a fun build. My "mid-life crisis" focus is pretty much on LEGO.

Takes a fair amount of disposable income to be a LEGO nerd. Not as expensive as being a Jeep nerd, though.
Yep, the only reason i haven't really taken up the hobby is $. If I had more disposable income, this is exactly what I'd be spending more of my time doing. I'm ready to give up on video games and phone apps.

Also...i need a room. Space is a premium in my home.

Last edited:

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not really the same thing but I did recently finish this Lego Ultimate Edition Millenium Falcon . I just have to figure out how I'm going to mount it now. I think I might be becoming a Lego nerd. :LOL:

Omg, I'm nerding out. I want one of those so bad!

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Omg, I'm nerding out. I want one of those so bad!
It’s expensive, but man it’s even cooler than the pictures show. It also gave me something to do in the evenings for the first month of the virus lockdown.

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It’s expensive, but man it’s even cooler than the pictures show. It also gave me something to do in the evenings for the first month of the virus lockdown.
Yeah, I knew regular kid Lego kits are pricey, so my first thought when I saw that beauty was holy $***! I had to look it up. I'm going to have to stick to Ravensburger puzzles.

Good for you, though. (y)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If I had my way, I'd have 2 Lego rooms. One for SW and favorite movies or series, and the second room would be iconic buildings or memorials. The Capitol building one is really cool. And Taj Majal is great too.

OP
Bleu Raeder

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Super44

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I thought this was about true old school Revel type models, where one would have to use some very simple tools like tweezers, exacto knives, cement glue and then paint it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom