Plastic Models - Who still builds them? (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
A thread on retirement prompted me to share this -

Over the past couple of years I have really gotten back into it. I have focused on sci-fi stuff and have been accumulating a model stash for years as I find things that I like.

Because of the nature of the models I typically add lights and I am considering sound effects on a couple of others. I have been experimenting with controlling light circuits with Arduino, adding sound should'nt be too much trouble. I have an experiment going now where I have added a Bluetooth shield to the Arduino and written a little phone app that allows me to control the Arduino from the phone wirelessly. This will be developed into a full fledged controller for a 1/350 Enterprise A I am building especially for my office.

There is a local group of modellers in Lafayette that I've met. Good group, but I cannot get to the meetings most of the year because of conflicts in my schedule.

Here are some pics of my recently completed BSG Viper Mk. I+ (the + is because I made some enhancements to the original Viper.

Attachments

• IMG_2128.JPG
    IMG_2128.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2129.JPG
    IMG_2129.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2130.JPG
    IMG_2130.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I always think about it when my wife is dragging me through Hobby Lobby, but I can't get past the $20+ price on a 1/24 scale car kit.

I loved building them as a kid though.

I always think about it when my wife is dragging me through Hobby Lobby, but I can't get past the $20+ price on a 1/24 scale car kit.

I loved building them as a kid though.

Hobby Lobby is a bit over-priced on most of their stuff but they have a great stock of supplies, paints and tools. Every time I am in there I look up their coupon online (they have a 40% off one item coupon every week, just show your phone at the register).

I find it relaxing and fun. It gets my mind off of the day to day and allows me to be creative. I have a neighbor who is what we would call an artist. She took one look at these and said how much they were like art too. I had never really thought about it that way.

I used to build Star Trek models as a kid. I made a really cool Enterprise-B one once with home-made battle damage (glue, lighter, and a knife) that is probably still stashed away somewhere at my parent's house.

Fast forward 20 years...... About 2 months ago I bought an F-22 kit at Hobby Lobby on an impulse, but never got around to finishing it. I have it on a desk ready to be worked on, but I haven't had the will (or time really) to complete it. It says level 3 on it with ages 12+, but jeeze I don't remember them being this difficult. All those tiny pieces with tiny decals are a lot more difficult without 9 year old size hands.

I may try and work some more on it this weekend.

I used to build Star Trek models as a kid. I made a really cool Enterprise-B one once with home-made battle damage (glue, lighter, and a knife) that is probably still stashed away somewhere at my parent's house.

Fast forward 20 years...... About 2 months ago I bought an F-22 kit at Hobby Lobby on an impulse, but never got around to finishing it. I have it on a desk ready to be worked on, but I haven't had the will (or time really) to complete it. It says level 3 on it with ages 12+, but jeeze I don't remember them being this difficult. All those tiny pieces with tiny decals are a lot more difficult without 9 year old size hands.

I may try and work some more on it this weekend.

I have seen some new techniques for explosions and battle damage that I haven't tried yet. A few LED's. some painted cotton balls, expanded foam, some fiber optics and you have an explosion in progress with debris...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TUbVOr1qmhA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been thinking about building a model for a while. Haven't done it since I was a kid and I'm not even sure what to look for any more, or where to go.

I'm curious as to the enhancements you have made to the Viper. I'm fairly certain most of that data is classified.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wUZxSf_P2r0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I build plastics with the bigger boy whenever he sees one that warrants an 'aw, thats cool!'. Usually found while we're following his mom through whatever craft store she might be in... Most recently are a 2014 Camaro Silver, with black racing stripes and Gravedigger.

I've built & flown RC since I was 12... Initially it was balsa, monokote, and nitro engines.
These crunched, and you basically cried when you crashed.

Now it's CD-Rom motors, lipo batteries, and siding 1/4" foam sheets.
These are rebuilt at the flying field with a hot-glue gun, and a popsicle stick. We fly full contact combat.

Good times!

I'm curious as to the enhancements you have made to the Viper. I'm fairly certain most of that data is classified.

Added maneuvering thrusters and several other....."goodies" :ezbill:

BTW - probably the best scene in TG

i bought my dad a woodenship model (sailing vessel) -he used to sail and build furniture as hobbies but so far hasnt shown much interest in doing the model

anyone done one of these?

My son built a few models when he was littler, but then he saw a 3D printer at Maker Faire about 5 years ago, and he's been lobbying for one ever since.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom