Plastic Models - Who still builds them? (3 Viewers)

Score! A co-worker had an older AMT Millennium Falcon (unbuilt, in the box) he had purchased a decade ago thinking he would build it some day. Today he decided that 'some day' would never roll around so he sold it to me for way less than what they are going for on EvilBay and Amazon. One more goodie for the stash!

I had several Star Wars models when I was a kid (4-6) hanging on the ceiling. They were awesome. My dad was into them back then. After all the moves no telling where they are now. Model Railroading is something I enjoy that I want to get back into.

i bought my dad a woodenship model (sailing vessel) -he used to sail and build furniture as hobbies but so far hasnt shown much interest in doing the model

anyone done one of these?
I have two. I'll get pics of them when I get home :)

Good grief, does this thread bring back memories. I had superhero model kits when i was a little kid (3 years old)-- my dad would put them together for me. A few years later, when the famous glow-in-the-dark Aurora monster kits came out, I started to put those together myself and paint them. I had an uncle who worked with the VA home in Biloxi; they had more military model kits than they knew what to do with, so he'd pass quite a few my way. I got better and better at doing them; I did monsters, superheroes, Shogun Warriors, Prehistoric Scenes (those Aurora snap-tite models), cars, tanks, ships, Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, and of course, planes galore. I had at least a dozen completed airplane and spaceship models hanging by thread from my bedroom ceiling. There was even a Goodyear blimp model with a working display light show built in, using an electric motor.... I think that the last model I assembled was when I was 15-- the Buck Rogers starfighter. After that I could drive and was more into girls and such.

Attachments

• godzilla-aurora-model.jpg
    godzilla-aurora-model.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 166
  • __kgrhqr__lie6grqjw9pbose475dug__60_3.jpg
    __kgrhqr__lie6grqjw9pbose475dug__60_3.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 14
  • model_starfighter01.jpg
    model_starfighter01.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 165
  • AMT%202501%20KISSvan.JPG
    AMT%202501%20KISSvan.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 19
I used to love building them but the price and ease of most of the models got me out of the hobby. I had helicopters and fighter jets mostly because those took longer. The cars were easy unless you detailed the dash but it was so small I found it a pain. The best one I had was a 64 Mustang with the spark plug wires and all. That was my favorite. You got me thinking, I think I will get one for my daughter to build. We would enjoy that.

No more, but back in the day, Roco (HO) and Tamiya (1/35) armor/troops FTW.

Sold more than a few tanks and dioramas as a 9th grader. Historical art, what?

Really beautiful, terps.

I used to do military models as a kid (never was near as good as my brother and that irritated the **** out of me!!). Put it down for years and then started back just painting fantasy and wargaming figures with my son when he was young. Been quite a few years since he outgrew it but I'm retiring soon and want to pick things back up.

Anyway, I want to do the wooden ship models but figure I'll ease back in with some figurine dioramas before jumping into the deep end of the pool on the wooden ships -- hopefully, my eyes can still handle the detailed work. If/when I do, do you have any recommendations for a good wooden ship starter kit?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom