Plastic Models - Who still builds them? (1 Viewer)

I used to love building old time sports cars. 25 years later, I have WAY less patience... thought patience was supposed to grow with age, not decrease?

Really beautiful, terps.

I used to do military models as a kid (never was near as good as my brother and that irritated the **** out of me!!). Put it down for years and then started back just painting fantasy and wargaming figures with my son when he was young. Been quite a few years since he outgrew it but I'm retiring soon and want to pick things back up.

Anyway, I want to do the wooden ship models but figure I'll ease back in with some figurine dioramas before jumping into the deep end of the pool on the wooden ships -- hopefully, my eyes can still handle the detailed work. If/when I do, do you have any recommendations for a good wooden ship starter kit?
Anything with detailed instructions is fine because they will walk you through the various steps of bending hull planks, and sanding the masts to a taper. That particular kit came with 1 1/2 pages of instructions but I'd built a smaller ship prior, so I actually followed those 48 pages of plans as I built the Enterprise.

The Captain of the Enterprise, as was fairly standard 200 years ago, used to talk to her masts every day and ask how much sail they'd like to carry. Many captains and crew treated these ships as though they were living, breathing organisms. I tend to agree with that :)

Anything with detailed instructions is fine because they will walk you through the various steps of bending hull planks, and sanding the masts to a taper. That particular kit came with 1 1/2 pages of instructions but I'd built a smaller ship prior, so I actually followed those 48 pages of plans as I built the Enterprise.

The Captain of the Enterprise, as was fairly standard 200 years ago, used to talk to her masts every day and ask how much sail they'd like to carry. Many captains and crew treated these ships as though they were living, breathing organisms. I tend to agree with that :)

Thanks -- as mentioned on a different thread, Six Frigates did a wonderful job of conveying your bolded point above.

The OP's Viper is amazing.

I used to try doing those things when I was a teenager but I was too impatient or something, I guess, they would always come out screwed up. I made a couple that would look decent from 5+ feet away but that's the best I could do. :hihi:

looks good, im assuming there is as much work as it looks

not sure if my Dad will ever do it but i may give it a shot after the other projects i have are done
Set aside about a year if you or he are doing an hr a day or so, but it's also the kind of thing you can set aside for awhile, then pick up again later. It really does teach you to focus on each task and be present in the moment. With good instructions, it's a very enjoyable process :)

Thanks -- as mentioned on a different thread, Six Frigates did a wonderful job of conveying your bolded point above.
And if you've ever spent any time at all on a sailing ship, especially an older wooden vessel, she will seem very alive indeed :)

And if you've ever spent any time at all on a sailing ship, especially an older wooden vessel, she will seem very alive indeed :)

Unfortunately, not under sail. The closest I've come is the Victory in Portsmouth dry dock, and the Constellation in Baltimore harbor. And, certainly in my imagination, with Horatio and Richard.

There is really no limit on how much detail and time anyone can put into a model. I was checking out websites and the work is fantastic. Same techniques you used for your Viper. Its awesome by the way. The dioramas for WW2 tanks are great and they look real. That weathering really brings out the details. Even the automobiles some people build have every imaginable detail possible. Its amazing and time consuming. I will probably get a small model for my daughter to start with and pick up a large scale car for myself and go nuts on it. When I do I will post the results as well as the process. It will be my first time modeling something detailed, besides just gluing and painting.

PS. BR please post a video of the Enterprise at work when you are complete.

I will probably get a small model for my daughter to start with and pick up a large scale car for myself and go nuts on it. When I do I will post the results as well as the process. It will be my first time modeling something detailed, besides just gluing and painting.

PS. BR please post a video of the Enterprise at work when you are complete.

Excellent! Post your daughter's work too!

While these things can be time consuming, I find them relaxing. It is an artistic and creative outlet different than playing music that I find every bit as enjoyable.

I will post the Enterprise as it comes together and I am going to write a series of posts on my website to highlight the build. I am working out the electronics first. Now that my cabinet project is done (yep, I love wood working too) I can focus a little more time on this ship. I have also started a '66 Batmobile because I am doing a multi-step automotive finish (lot's of primer and wet sanding between coats) because I want the black paint to be shiny and deep.

There may be a Batcave diorama in my future :ezbill:

I have also started a '66 Batmobile because I am doing a multi-step automotive finish (lot's of primer and wet sanding between coats) because I want the black paint to be shiny and deep.

There may be a Batcave diorama in my future :ezbill:

Wow - it's embarrassing and a bit scary what an electric tingle that thought gives me.

Attachments

• sprockets1.png
    sprockets1.png
    42 KB · Views: 178
Wow - it's embarrassing and a bit scary what an electric tingle that thought gives me.

Because of "wet" sanding? :ezbill:

Here is a Batman reference that has a lot of good data for building something like a Batcave diorama - Bat Resources

Here is a Batman reference that has a lot of good data for building something like a Batcave diorama - Bat Resources

Oh, that's pretty cool. Will geek out on it later today. My "Rosebud" is the 1966 heavy metal Batmobile that my dad got me at a car show in Biloxi in the late 60s.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom