Plastic Models - Who still builds them? (2 Viewers)

It’s expensive, but man it’s even cooler than the pictures show. It also gave me something to do in the evenings for the first month of the virus lockdown.
Yeah, I knew regular kid Lego kits are pricey, so my first thought when I saw that beauty was holy $***! I had to look it up. I'm going to have to stick to Ravensburger puzzles.

Good for you, though. (y)

I've always wanted this beast of a LEGO set.

s-l640.jpg

If I had my way, I'd have 2 Lego rooms. One for SW and favorite movies or series, and the second room would be iconic buildings or memorials. The Capitol building one is really cool. And Taj Majal is great too.

I thought this was about true old school Revel type models, where one would have to use some very simple tools like tweezers, exacto knives, cement glue and then paint it.

Up next, but first a story...

Isn’t it funny how the world really works? The little twists and turns that cause your history and mine to be written in ways that on the surface look to be jokes made by our creator.

First, some context - in the world of model building from time-to-time people will get together for what is known as a “group build”. Generally, a theme or kit is established as the basis for the build and a deadline is established. At that point, it is up to each modeler to do what they will with the given kit or theme. When the deadline arrives the modelers participating in the group build get back together to share what they have done.

Today I am announcing a group build called the Cousin’s Group Build.

Due to some of those weird little twists and turns that cause your history to be made I one day spotted the name of a cousin I had not seen in decades and had not had much contact with over the years. At least I thought it was him. It was on a FB group that I participate in called Starship Modelers, a group for people who build science fiction models. That’s weird - could a long lost cousin have the same interests as I do? I reached out and found out that it was indeed Tim, my first cousin on Bleu Dad’s side of the family! An excellent reunion!

I cannot tell the joy in our finding out that we both love to build science fiction models!

So now, after phone calls and texts and emails and messages, we arrived at what we think is a pretty cool idea, the Cousin’s Build. We batted it back and forth finally arriving at the kit we would each tackle - the Polar Lights/Round 2 Star Trek Shuttlecraft Galileo. It is a newer kit, just released this year. Other than using the kit as the basis of the build, anything goes.

The deadline for the build is Star Date 74793.2 (April 30th, 2021) with the reveal on May 1st, 2021 (Star Date 74796) on the Starship Modeler Facebook page with no real updates posted until we’re ready to reveal what each of us has done with our kits. As they say on television...stay tuned!

P.S. Tim and I decided it would be fun to open this group build to a wider audience. If you are a cousin (not necessarily mine or Tim’s) and would like to participate, please do! We’d like to see what you would do with a Star Trek TOS Shuttlecraft. Happy modeling!

SMjYU_wqbZ5Yuu1AjSshXkwCsZwxRbTwQTJxcifpBeZ3CWerpIPo6HVfek43xX6GFrXhzm6OugeTcvl-AElT0q76jCqVwjAoPK3s2O3-CmpWSDfTbzbPo-bUo4xdfvifKjw9RIHu

mJkNnHChhzbFrxbnSeHEDvE5aBR23XZIO7CxYaWngS6HrKCjfvix7iyEtOfYUPnjmmt_MSmxQ2XEGl2ok6iSw_ukbO64xs1tE27LjIQ6QHvRfEdsRU5eKas2HnZqHjyNxQFmWpxr

Up next, but first a story...

Isn’t it funny how the world really works? The little twists and turns that cause your history and mine to be written in ways that on the surface look to be jokes made by our creator.

First, some context - in the world of model building from time-to-time people will get together for what is known as a “group build”. Generally, a theme or kit is established as the basis for the build and a deadline is established. At that point, it is up to each modeler to do what they will with the given kit or theme. When the deadline arrives the modelers participating in the group build get back together to share what they have done.

Today I am announcing a group build called the Cousin’s Group Build.

Due to some of those weird little twists and turns that cause your history to be made I one day spotted the name of a cousin I had not seen in decades and had not had much contact with over the years. At least I thought it was him. It was on a FB group that I participate in called Starship Modelers, a group for people who build science fiction models. That’s weird - could a long lost cousin have the same interests as I do? I reached out and found out that it was indeed Tim, my first cousin on Bleu Dad’s side of the family! An excellent reunion!

I cannot tell the joy in our finding out that we both love to build science fiction models!

So now, after phone calls and texts and emails and messages, we arrived at what we think is a pretty cool idea, the Cousin’s Build. We batted it back and forth finally arriving at the kit we would each tackle - the Polar Lights/Round 2 Star Trek Shuttlecraft Galileo. It is a newer kit, just released this year. Other than using the kit as the basis of the build, anything goes.

The deadline for the build is Star Date 74793.2 (April 30th, 2021) with the reveal on May 1st, 2021 (Star Date 74796) on the Starship Modeler Facebook page with no real updates posted until we’re ready to reveal what each of us has done with our kits. As they say on television...stay tuned!

P.S. Tim and I decided it would be fun to open this group build to a wider audience. If you are a cousin (not necessarily mine or Tim’s) and would like to participate, please do! We’d like to see what you would do with a Star Trek TOS Shuttlecraft. Happy modeling!

SMjYU_wqbZ5Yuu1AjSshXkwCsZwxRbTwQTJxcifpBeZ3CWerpIPo6HVfek43xX6GFrXhzm6OugeTcvl-AElT0q76jCqVwjAoPK3s2O3-CmpWSDfTbzbPo-bUo4xdfvifKjw9RIHu

mJkNnHChhzbFrxbnSeHEDvE5aBR23XZIO7CxYaWngS6HrKCjfvix7iyEtOfYUPnjmmt_MSmxQ2XEGl2ok6iSw_ukbO64xs1tE27LjIQ6QHvRfEdsRU5eKas2HnZqHjyNxQFmWpxr

I'm pretty sure we're all cousins somehow or another. :hihi:

The runabouts in the later shows were always cool. I built one back in the day. Loved that design, as well as the Defiant. That was a sweet little ship.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom