Platooning QBs...??? (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
k, obviously all of the anecdotal evidence for platooning qbs at the nfl level is pretty bad
BUT
there is not much evidence
leaving that aside, the question is

HOW could SP develop an effective platoon system with Teddy and Taysom?
if you feel compelled to say why it can't work, so be it
but the question is 'how can it work?'

k, obviously all of the anecdotal evidence for platooning qbs at the nfl level is pretty bad
BUT

I'm pretty sure that play last year with all three on the field marked the only time in modern NFL history that three QBs were on the field for a play from scrimmage.

BUT

I think thats the key right there. We've seen several ways for it to not work. Eventually, there will be one coach that will find a way to make it work. It will take an innovative mind. But it will happen, and the stigma will change. But the key will be focusing on how it CAN work, not why it can't.

I know that didn't answer your question. I just wanted to expound on your thoughts.

We're paying Teddy because Taysom is not an NFL level starter. I mean it's crystal clear, but some here think he's the second coming of Breesus lol. I have no idea why.

Taysom will be gone at the end of this season anyway so who cares! Some team will let him compete for a starting gig.

The question is how can it work. I'll take a crack at it.

It could work by exploiting mismatches and keeping defenses on their heels. Force defenses to defend two completely different offenses at the same time. Imagine the Saints running a hurry up and the defense doesn't know what personnel to run in until they see which QB is under Center. They would have to prepare for a conventional offense and a Wildcat offense but with an actual QB. Maybe SP decides to just go conventional the entire game, well he's forced the opposing defense to waste time during the week preparing for the Wildcat. That's a win before the coin is even flipped.

People love to shoot down new ideas and say they could never work. They said the option could never work in the NFL. We've seen it work. They said the Wildcat could never work in the NFL. The Dolphins used the Wildcat six plays against the Patriots in 2008. Of those six plays, five resulted in a TD.

Anything can work in the NFL if you're on the cutting edge of it. When it's new and coordinators don't know how to combat it, anything is possible. Look at the Eagles with their RPOs, they've looked unstoppable at times.

I mean come on, Tim Tebow won games in the NFL. He even won a playoff game. I have a hard time believing Taysom Hill could play the QB position any worse than Tebow.

If anyone can figure out how to make it work, it's Sean Payton.
And he won't do it the way the Eagles tried in Randall Cunningham's early career. When Jaworski couldn't get a first down, they would put Cunningham in when it was, say, 3rd and 22, and expect him to figure out how to make the first down. It's amazing that Cunningham didn't lose his confidence completely.
If Payton decides to platoon the QBs, it will be creative and probably effective.

I think Teddy and Taysom together would be a nice replacement, with Teddy being the main QB obviously and Taysom with a slightly larger QB role than he currently has (to keep the Defenses off balance).

I think Teddy and Taysom together would be a nice replacement, with Teddy being the main QB obviously and Taysom with a slightly larger QB role than he currently has (to keep the Defenses off balance).

A two QB system is bound to fail. It doesn't work in college and it sure as hell doesn't work in the NFL. You need consistency at that position in order to have success.

A two QB system is bound to fail. It doesn't work in college and it sure as hell doesn't work in the NFL. You need consistency at that position in order to have success.
Why?
Consistency in and of itself is no cure all since there are plenty of consistently mediocre QBs and teams

no, the question is: how can it not work?

The blueprint is already well-developed. And while you are talking platoon of the future, I think for this upcoming season there will be packages of plays with not only Taysom/Drew, but Tayson/Teddy, Teddy/Drew, and Taysom/Teddy/Drew.

TB has something that only the best have, consistent accuracy (hopefully). I say hopeful because I have not watched his career. DB's accuracy is probably the best ever so TB following up that with the experience in the system and his noted respect/wanttolearnfrom for DB makes this a pretty good situation.

TH is something no other team has, so I would not expect the Saints to let him leave if they can help it.

The question is how can it work. I'll take a crack at it.

It could work by exploiting mismatches and keeping defenses on their heels. Force defenses to defend two completely different offenses at the same time. Imagine the Saints running a hurry up and the defense doesn't know what personnel to run in until they see which QB is under Center. They would have to prepare for a conventional offense and a Wildcat offense but with an actual QB. Maybe SP decides to just go conventional the entire game, well he's forced the opposing defense to waste time during the week preparing for the Wildcat. That's a win before the coin is even flipped.

People love to shoot down new ideas and say they could never work. They said the option could never work in the NFL. We've seen it work. They said the Wildcat could never work in the NFL. The Dolphins used the Wildcat six plays against the Patriots in 2008. Of those six plays, five resulted in a TD.

Anything can work in the NFL if you're on the cutting edge of it. When it's new and coordinators don't know how to combat it, anything is possible. Look at the Eagles with their RPOs, they've looked unstoppable at times.

I mean come on, Tim Tebow won games in the NFL. He even won a playoff game. I have a hard time believing Taysom Hill could play the QB position any worse than Tebow.

Really good stuff Drago. Very insightful thx much

I don't have an answer on how to play both QB's because it's a bad idea.

I know some people really like Hill for some reason (change of pace), but the dude is Mitch Trubisky with less ability to throw. And each down he touches the ball is one less for Drew Brees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom