Play my son or I'll shoot: Worst Football Dad! (1 Viewer)

I'd play him.

i'll see you a psycho and raise you a Scrooge.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/06/AR2006110601171.html

The Raptors, 12- to 14-year-olds from southern Fairfax, were slated for the county playoffs when, according to The Post's Timothy Dwyer, Mr. Hinkle summarily fired the team's two coaches because they defied his orders and played his son on offense, instead of defense. Never mind that the two men (who volunteer their time) are terrific coaches whose decisions were for the good of the team. Mr. Hinkle, as South County Youth Association commissioner, picks up much of the tab and so, under league policy, apparently gets his way.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/03/AR2006110301819.html

"Scott does not sit out on defense -- ever," the commissioner, Dan Hinkle, had warned the head coach, James Owens, in an e-mail sent before the season began about how he should play Hinkle's son, 12. On defense, the father said, "he goes in and stays in. That includes all practices, scrimmages and games. This entire league exists so he can play defense on the best team in his weight class. . . . He is my son, I own the league, and he plays every snap on defense."

and people wonder why i have not bothered to make a whole lot of friends in this place.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061107

I read about that guy in today's Tuesday Morning Quarterback, Gami (it's almost at the very end). What a jerk!

On a happier note, the blurb about it in his article had this...

Good sportsmanship footnote: The Fairfax County Youth Football League, also private, just arranged for the South County Raptors to play a "bowl game" against its champion, and the fired coaches will be the ones to coach.

Oh...the horror stories I could tell from this year's Youth Football season. At one point, I ended up in a staredown with the league commissioner...the warden at a federal pen...and simultaneously enraged the head of the officiating crews to the point he started spitting and sputtering trying to talk during a league meeting. I also managed to make enemies of every other team when I called all their coaches a "bunch of gutless wonders" collectively.

i'll see you a psycho and raise you a Scrooge.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/06/AR2006110601171.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/03/AR2006110301819.html

and people wonder why i have not bothered to make a whole lot of friends in this place.

Thanks for that story. My partner has a son in 12 year old select baseball and has to deal with this all the time. Each team has a "money" player that gets to play their favorite position no matter what. Generally, it is the worst player on the team that has no business playing select ball, but Daddy has the money, so he's on the team and he plays the entire game.

You would be amazed at the politics that goes on behind the scenes in these teams/leagues. It would make a three term Senator blush.

Thanks for that story. My partner has a son in 12 year old select baseball and has to deal with this all the time. Each team has a "money" player that gets to play their favorite position no matter what. Generally, it is the worst player on the team that has no business playing select ball, but Daddy has the money, so he's on the team and he plays the entire game.

You would be amazed at the politics that goes on behind the scenes in these teams/leagues. It would make a three term Senator blush.
No kidding. We even have a 'shadow organization' that pretty much controls all things football related in our community, from the Midgets all the way through High School. The good ole "Quaterback Club"...invitation only of course. I think I spotted their secret handshake one time.

No kidding. We even have a 'shadow organization' that pretty much controls all things football related in our community

the illuminati??

some things never change.....when i played baseball, our coaches son was one of the pitchers.....no matter that that there were other better pitchers on the team, they were always overlooked....we lost many games with the kid pitching that we could have won....but, daddy's boy was gonna pitch

the illuminati??
You would think so considering some of the craziness I've seen. I'm friends with a couple of them. This was my third year coaching (not as the head coach of course), and they never even mention "da club" in my presence even though they've invited every other coach. I think it's because I don't kowtow to anyone.

You would think so considering some of the craziness I've seen. I'm friends with a couple of them. This was my third year coaching (not as the head coach of course), and they never even mention "da club" in my presence even though they've invited every other coach. I think it's because I don't kowtow to anyone.

You are going to find a horses head in your bed one morning.

the illuminati??

some things never change.....when i played baseball, our coaches son was one of the pitchers.....no matter that that there were other better pitchers on the team, they were always overlooked....we lost many games with the kid pitching that we could have won....but, daddy's boy was gonna pitch
I was on a team exactly like this when I was 12.Coaches kid pitched every inning of every game.I dont remember him ever NOT pitching.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom