Player "Metrics" Are Important, At WR And At QB.. (1 Viewer)

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
At the Press Conference, team officials talked about how the Saints would focus on size, length, speed and other metrics that were important to finding a path to the roster for a player. The scouts did the same process for Taysom Hill and for Jameis Winston. Okay.. so far, so good.

Next step, the team needs a starting QB for the beginning of the season. Coaches decide that one. Bill Parcels was a big proponent of choosing players he wanted to coach. And Bill believed that if a team regularly added "below average" players, then you would eventually have a below average team. You can ask Sean Payton the exact quote. SP is a better student of Big Tuna Football than me.

Here's the argument.. Two big arms are getting ready to replace a team legend at QB. You get one shot to make a first impression, Sean. So, do you start the strong arm with a passing game? or start the strong arm that needs more work on his passing game? I'm not calling names or calling out players but I can assume with all my assumptions that SP never envisioned having a Jameis Winston in his QB room when SP the HC wanted to add RPO plays to and offense where Drew Brees was QB. Pre-Jameis, RPO options were added to the Saints version of WCO and Taysom Hill was scouted.

There's no argument. Taysom Hill is a premier run-pass offensive threat but is he a WCO QB? Think Joe Montana and Drew Brees and how they controlled the flow of the game with short passes. During his four starts, Taysom's game was lacking in getting the ball to Kamara and WRs not named Mike. You can't teach speed and size and Thrill Hill is an athelete but, if Taysom Hill wanted to be an NFL QB, then I think Taysom the player should have exhibited more effort and leadership this offseason. Namely, building a relationship with your teammates away from the facility and make amends with Mr.SixTDs!!

Take away the measurables and the stats and what do you end up with? Two different players dealing with adversity differently. Winston is working out publicly, getting his message out and making sure he gets plenty of work with his WRs. Drew Brees, Tom Brady and other QBs used the offseason to work out with teammates to develop timing and techniques like the "back-shoulder" throw. Taysom said he was working on his footwork and worked out with teammates at some team activities. That, my friend, is not enough.

Jameis is just being Jameis and Taysom is just being Taysom. The RPO offense is intriguing but I think the Ravens will win a Super Bowl with that offense before the Saints will. And, eventhough I believe Taysom could rack up tons of stats in an offense that showcases his running skills, I also know that playoff-caliber opponents consistently stop the run and the Saints defense is the best evidence of that fact. So, since SP is a Parcells and WCO student, I believe Payton will put a 5K arm in his offense.

Meeting adjourned.

GO Saints!!!

At the Press Conference, team officials talked about how the Saints would focus on size, length, speed and other metrics that were important to finding a path to the roster for a player. The scouts did the same process for Taysom Hill and for Jameis Winston. Okay.. so far, so good.

Next step, the team needs a starting QB for the beginning of the season. Coaches decide that one. Bill Parcels was a big proponent of choosing players he wanted to coach. And Bill believed that if a team regularly added "below average" players, then you would eventually have a below average team. You can ask Sean Payton the exact quote. SP is a better student of Big Tuna Football than me.

Here's the argument.. Two big arms are getting ready to replace a team legend at QB. You get one shot to make a first impression, Sean. So, do you start the strong arm with a passing game? or start the strong arm that needs more work on his passing game? I'm not calling names or calling out players but I can assume with all my assumptions that SP never envisioned having a Jameis Winston in his QB room when SP the HC wanted to add RPO plays to and offense where Drew Brees was QB. Pre-Jameis, RPO options were added to the Saints version of WCO and Taysom Hill was scouted.

There's no argument. Taysom Hill is a premier run-pass offensive threat but is he a WCO QB? Think Joe Montana and Drew Brees and how they controlled the flow of the game with short passes. During his four starts, Taysom's game was lacking in getting the ball to Kamara and WRs not named Mike. You can't teach speed and size and Thrill Hill is an athelete but, if Taysom Hill wanted to be an NFL QB, then I think Taysom the player should have exhibited more effort and leadership this offseason. Namely, building a relationship with your teammates away from the facility and make amends with Mr.SixTDs!!

Take away the measurables and the stats and what do you end up with? Two different players dealing with adversity differently. Winston is working out publicly, getting his message out and making sure he gets plenty of work with his WRs. Drew Brees, Tom Brady and other QBs used the offseason to work out with teammates to develop timing and techniques like the "back-shoulder" throw. Taysom said he was working on his footwork and worked out with teammates at some team activities. That, my friend, is not enough.

Jameis is just being Jameis and Taysom is just being Taysom. The RPO offense is intriguing but I think the Ravens will win a Super Bowl with that offense before the Saints will. And, eventhough I believe Taysom could rack up tons of stats in an offense that showcases his running skills, I also know that playoff-caliber opponents consistently stop the run and the Saints defense is the best evidence of that fact. So, since SP is a Parcells and WCO student, I believe Payton will put a 5K arm in his offense.

Meeting adjourned.

GO Saints!!!

I had your same thoughts about Hill, and criticized him for not doing more in the offseason. But, after thinking about things a bit, I'm not sure that I agree. For one, the biggest things that Taysom needs to work on is improving on his technique and the mental part of his game. If he doesn't improve on those, it doesn't matter what kind of timing he has with the receivers. And, he's been around MT and others a lot longer than Winston has, so he's a lot more familiar in that aspect than Winston. So, his biggest improvements will come from improving his technique and the mental part.

I think both are working on the things they need to work on this offseason. Fortunately, both players are good enough guys to support each other even though they are competing for the same position.

Which other thread should I merge this with? Hmmm.

Uhhh, Dan.. I just wanted to get some fan feedback. The media interviews have me feeling a certain kinda way and I wanted to see what other fans were thinking.

What are you thinking about the QB competition so far?

GO Saints!!!

Uhhh, Dan.. I just wanted to get some fan feedback. The media interviews have me feeling a certain kinda way and I wanted to see what other fans were thinking.

What are you thinking about the QB competition so far?

GO Saints!!!

After the first round of interviews, I think it's a tie. They both handle interviews well.

You mention Drew and Montana as examples of WCO QBs but you left out Steve Young who IMO was more dangerous than Montana. Having wheels doesn’t make you not a WCQB. Not being accurate does however so we will see about that part.

This offense with Jameis as the starter and Taysom playing the role he's most know for is more lethal than Taysom at QB and Jameis holding a clipboard imo.

If Jameis starts we still have Taysom as a dynamic change of pace for our offense. If Taysom starts, he can't be that runner and risk injury and we lose him on RPO's, TE, Special teams, etc. If Taysom starts and plays the game as physical as he usually does then it won't be long before he's hurt and Jameis is starting anyways. Just my opinion.

You mention Drew and Montana as examples of WCO QBs but you left out Steve Young who IMO was more dangerous than Montana. Having wheels doesn’t make you not a WCQB. Not being accurate does however so we will see about that part.
Honestly, Winston looks more like Young in the pocket than Hill. Young was a gun slinger with RB wheels. Jameis is not fast, but he moves well when flushed and uses different arm angles just like Young did.

Honestly, Winston looks more like Young in the pocket than Hill. Young was a gun slinger with RB wheels. Jameis is not fast, but he moves well when flushed and uses different arm angles just like Young did.

yea but what really killed teams with Young was his ability to take off 9 yards at a time and never even take a hit. He could kill you with his arm so you had to respect the back end and he would start killing you with his feet. I don’t see Winston doing that much. I know he is shifty but how often does he run because it’s the best option?

i will always remember the Young Niners as more troublesome than the Montana 9ers. But we were not even a legit part of the picture until Young took over anyway.

After the first round of interviews, I think it's a tie. They both handle interviews well.

Yeah, but I'm reading between the lines because I want to be nosey.

Brady's taking pay cuts. Atlanta is making salary cap room to improve their team. Panthers are retooling. And the Saints QB working on his "footwork"? That's combine and first year personal work.

I know that individual work is important but working with your teammates, that's important, too.

We on the same page.. :)

yea but what really killed teams with Young was his ability to take off 9 yards at a time and never even take a hit. He could kill you with his arm so you had to respect the back end and he would start killing you with his feet. I don’t see Winston doing that much. I know he is shifty but how often does he run because it’s the best option?

i will always remember the Young Niners as more troublesome than the Montana 9ers. But we were not even a legit part of the picture until Young took over anyway.
I am just talking about how they look on the pocket and throwing on the run. Young is in the HOF. Winston is trying to prove he is on a trajectory worthy of his pedigree. He can make big plays in the passing game while on the move, though.

Surprisingly, Hill is either pass from the pocket or take off running. He has not shown he knows how to extend plays with his legs and hit big throws downfield. Small sample size though, so hopefully that improves with reps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom