Players drafted while Rob Ryan was defensive coordinator (with analysis) (1 Viewer)

I doubt he had much say in who was drafted while in Oakland. Al Davis ran the draft himself during that time period. Possibly the same thing in Dallas with Jones running things.

To lend some insight, in Dallas he had quite a bit of say in how things went in the war room. The one big pick he wanted but didn't get was JJ Watt-- at the time the Cowboys had more pressing needs on the offensive line and instead took Tyron Smith.

But as far as 2012 goes, it was defensive heavy draft with Ryan's stamp all over it. Reports from inside the war room indicate that Jerry relegated himself to more of a back seat role... that will probably change this year, but at the time Ryan was able to get most of the guys he wanted.

Rob Ryan didn't draft any of those players. He's worked under, respectively, Al Davis, Eric Mangini (a DC himself), and Jerry Jones.

This is like suggesting that all of our offensive draft picks are indicative of Pete Carmichael's preferences, not Sean Payton's. I have no doubt Rob Ryan was asked for his opinion, but he didnt pull the trigger on any of those picks and if he had wanted someone different than Jones/Mangini/Davis, it wouldnt have mattered.

we have a poor scouting department.....have you seen our drafts since 2007?

routte and branch are 2 players drafted by Ryan teams who are better than anything we have on our secondary.....

We've done great in drafting offensive players. I don't think its fair to say we have a "poor scouting department" when we've had so much success on the offensive side of the ball. Scouting defensive players isn't categorically different from scouting offensive players from the personal side.

This suggests the problems in drafting on the defensive side are due to

1) poor coaching once on the team

2) repeated scheme shifting which puts developing players out of position

3) inability for previous DCs to communicate accurately to the scouts what they want and need

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom