Players in Starcaps case were offered a deal by NFL to avoid suspension. (MERGED) (1 Viewer)

money941

Danger Zone
Reaction score
I know there are several threads on the subject, so mods if you feel like it should be merged please do so, but I thought it deserved it's own thread for discussion. But apparently all the players were offered to avoid suspensions but their lawyers (and possibly the players) did not want to have to pay a 6 figure fine.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...capssettlementtalks052909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

During recent settlement talks, the NFL was reportedly willing to forgo the four-game suspensions for the Starcaps case players: Vikings DTs Kevin Williams, Pat Williams, and Saints DLs Will Smith and Charles Grant.
The settlement never happened because the players' lawyers were still trying to avoid paying a six-figure fine. The case will be back in court this week, but this settlement talk gives some hope to the players that they could avoid a suspension yet.

I wouldn't have paid it either. What's the point if you believe you did nothing wrong and that the league itself is equally culpable.

I understand the situations seems unfair, but if this is true Grant and Smith are just dumb. They lose that money anyway if they are suspended and Grant should have just taken his last year when he was hurt. With the amount they both get paid and underachieve anyway that fine is really just justice in a different form. They are putting themselves before the team by doing this...

They may have rightfully feel like they have done nothing wrong, but they violated the policy and they know suspensions are coming. Settle and help your team win, this is getting ridiculous. At some point you have to cut your losses and take one for the team. They both make more than enough money for what they do...they owe the Saints that much IMO...

Last edited:
They should have paid it and the teams should reimburse half to them due to the impact that they will have on the first four games.

At this point, if the offer is still there, you take it. The players have made their point and the info is out for public opinion, a lot of which is for them, but the court is against them. The settlement should recite that the players believed that the substance was acceptable and had no intent of breaking the rules.

A six figure is less than four games without a paycheck for most if not all of the players affected. For Deuce, who is not on a team right now, it clears up his availability and makes it more likely that he will be signed somewhere.

They should have paid it and the teams should reimburse half to them due to the impact that they will have on the first four games.

Teams are not allowed to pay any or all of player's league imposed fines.

Grant and Smith should now take the suspension, lose the game pay, and get it over with. Fair or not, the fight's over, the league won. I personally think both players are wary of the Jamar Nesbit situation. It's entirely possible either could be moved to backup permanently if McCray or Hargove are outstanding over the first four games.

The whole thing is dumb. The NFL knew about the problem and didn't communicate it to the players. It was almost like a setup by crooked cops. I know that the NFL didn't INTEND for it to happen, but that's the way that it appears.

I think the players should fight this until all legal options are exhausted. This whole thing has me really upset with the NFL organization, and Goodell in particular.

I wouldn't have paid it either. What's the point if you believe you did nothing wrong and that the league itself is equally culpable.

I say pay it.

No telling what the fine is, but the simple math is that if the fine is less than 4 game checks, you come out ahead. If you miss 4 games, you get nothing those 4 weeks.

The NFL isn't backing off of this. Somehow it is going to get its pound of flesh. The smart move is to negotiate the best deal you can get and go on with your life. Maybe I am missing something, but I have never heard of a player in any sport beating a rap like this. Never. Players in the Olympics and in pro cycling try all the time and they never succeed.

Maybe the NFL misled players about Starcaps, but I don't see where that makes any difference. I remember a guy who got kicked out of the Olympics for using Rogaine for baldness. Maybe that was unfair but he should have known not to take anything while he was training. It's not worth the risk. Pro athletes put all kinds of crap in their bodies and you'd think by now they'd know that the only safe thing to do is NOT TO TAKE ANYTHING IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS.

This is your career, your life. But oh no, players always think they know more and they can skirt the rules one way or another. Lots of NFL players use steroids. We all know it. Starcaps aren't steroids, but let's get real -- you think these players are pure as the driven snow? Well, I don't. They were looking for an advantage through a chemical. If that's their attitude, what should they expect? If you get caught speeding, you pay the ticket.

I think these players thought they were pushing the envelope with the rules and the league decided it didn't like it.

Starcaps contain diuretics and diuretics are dangerous as hell to be taking before engaging in athletics. They shouldn't have been taking the stuff, legal or not. STOP PUTTING JUNK IN YOUR BODIES.

Instead of whining about 4 games or big fines, they should thank God they aren't where Korey Stringer is.

Last edited:
They should pay the fine, no suspensions, the league matches the fine amount and donates it all to charity. Outside of Deuce, they all make enough to not even realize the loss of income. This is simple greed. Next thing you know, one of them will come out with "I need to feed my family."

This whole thing has me really upset with the NFL organization, and Goodell in particular.

before you start bashing Goodell...He has no other choice but to drop the hammer!!!! You start making exceptions and people start thinking they can get away with stuff and it spirals out of control! It has to be hard nosed all the time or nothing for him to be able to get his message across. MOST, not all, but MOST of these athletes think they are above everything and can do what they want....and I for one love what Goodell is doing....which is cleaning up this filthy league!!!!:9:

With the amount they both get paid and underachieve anyway that fine is really just justice in a different form. They are putting themselves before the team by doing this...

This is simple greed. Next thing you know, one of them will come out with "I need to feed my family."

I have to agree with this. I understand where the players are coming from, but like many people have said, you know the rules, and if you don't know if it's illegal or not just don't take the chance.

If anything, the NFL now has even more leverage after they won the first time in court so this deal may not even be on the table anymore, and I believe Smith and Grant both make between $4-$8 million this year, so you're telling me a 6 figure fine is really going to affect them?? It's just pure greed on their and their lawyers behalf (because if they win the trial I'm sure the lawyers will get added publicity and more money). And I'm the last person to say a player should do this or that for a NFL team with the way they are/(can be) treated by organizations, but all the players involved, with the exception of Duece are really putting their teams in jeopardy.

No damn it! The NFL is as at fault as anyone in this situation. Screw them! Trying to extort money for a situation caused by the league's lack of clarity on the issue. I wouldn't have paid either. Six figures isn't chump change no matter how much you make.

No damn it! The NFL is as at fault as anyone in this situation. Screw them! Trying to extort money for a situation caused by the league's lack of clarity on the issue. I wouldn't have paid either. Six figures isn't chump change no matter how much you make.
What part of "you are responsible for whatever enters your body" don't you understand? These guys know the rules...weather they knew or not....they are ultimately responsible!!!! If anything....I look at the option for a fine was Goodells way of saying...look, I believe you guys didn't do this on purpose...but I have to punish you in some way to show i'm fair and equal across the board! This fine would have allowed them to play....lose less money in the long run....but they chose not to do that!!!:idunno:

I say pay it.

No telling what the fine is, but the simple math is that if the fine is less than 4 game checks, you come out ahead. If you miss 4 games, you get nothing those 4 weeks.

That's what crossed my mind. About how much money would Smith and Grant stand to lose if they were suspended the four games? If the players plan on filing a suit against Starcaps, wouldn't they beable to recoup the money they stand to lose or at least a good chunk of it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom