Players Jumping Ship (1 Viewer)

What happened with Albert Huggins? Roach is still a possible signing. Both are comparable to Tuttle, IMO. But both are more depth caliber. Need to draft a good one or two and may shop for a bargain vet.

I wish we knew what the deal with Malcolm Brown is. There has to be a good reason why no one has brought him in.

Compensatory pucks coming.
Right! It looks like as it stands now...

• DT David Onyemata. Onyemata agreed on a three-year contract with the Atlanta Falcons averaging $11.6 million per year, which is valued as a fourth-round pick.
  • DT Shy Tuttle. Tuttle agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the Carolina Panthers that averages out to $6.5 million per year, which is projected as a sixth-round pick.
  • DE Marcus Davenport. Davenport reached an agreement with the Minnesota Vikings on a one-year, $13 million contract offer, which is projected to be a fourth-round pick.
  • LB Kaden Elliss. Elliss and the Atlanta Falcons agreed to terms on a free agent contract valued at $7.1 million per year, which projects at a sixth-round pick.

Even if they weren't worth the money, when you have to start over with a lot of new starters, it can take time to get things to gel and that can cost you a lot of early games and maybe even a season. We got Jordan and some backups left. What players are going to walk in on cheaper contracts and play better than the guys those team just overpaid for? Especially when the team doesn't have the best track record when it comes to scouting D lineman.

Even if they weren't worth the money, when you have to start over with a lot of new starters, it can take time to get things to gel and that can cost you a lot of early games and maybe even a season. We got Jordan and some backups left. What players are going to walk in on cheaper contracts and play better than the guys those team just overpaid for? Especially when the team doesn't have the best track record when it comes to scouting D lineman.
Onyemata and Tuttle aren't worth the money they are being paid. Their performance has dropped off the past couple of years. They were getting pushed around on the line and our run defense was suffering from this the past couple of years. I'm sure Loomis offered them contracts based on what he thought they were worth based on their performances. We can probably find some better in FA and the draft.

Even if they weren't worth the money, when you have to start over with a lot of new starters, it can take time to get things to gel and that can cost you a lot of early games and maybe even a season. We got Jordan and some backups left. What players are going to walk in on cheaper contracts and play better than the guys those team just overpaid for?
Honestly, Granderson took the starting RDE job at the end of the season and produced better than Davenport (who was in a contract year) did for the whole year. I'd rather pay him the $3.78M he's due this year than that $13M Davenport got from the Vikings.

Granderson (479 snaps): 5.5 sacks, 9 TFL, 9 QB hits, 13 pressures

Davenport (490 snaps): 0.5 sacks, 2 TFL, 8 QB hits, 14 pressures

Especially when the team doesn't have the best track record when it comes to scouting D lineman.
You mean the same team that scouted those same DLmen that you're upset about losing? 😂

If the team was really interested in re-signing any of them, they would have make it happen earlier.
No big loss really other than Ellis but he's a depth player anyway. DL played bad last season.

If we don't make any big signings in FA we may get one 4th rounder and one/two 6th in compensatory picks next year, not too bad

Honestly, Granderson took the starting RDE job at the end of the season and produced better than Davenport (who was in a contract year) did for the whole year. I'd rather pay him the $3.78M he's due this year than that $13M Davenport got from the Vikings.

Granderson (479 snaps): 5.5 sacks, 9 TFL, 9 QB hits, 13 pressures

Davenport (490 snaps): 0.5 sacks, 2 TFL, 8 QB hits, 14 pressures

You mean the same team that scouted those same DLmen that you're upset about losing? 😂
It’s not about these players necessarily. You have to have someone to play the positions. If our guys were 1st day of free agency worthy and we have to wait for two week worthy guys or rookies then instead of getting an upgrade at the position, we’re probably going to get worse. Certainly less experienced.

Are other teams overpaying or do we not have the money to compete for free agents? The answer may be a combination of both.

I would not have been happy with us paying any of the defensive linemen we lost today what they got paid. Hell, I am not sure I would have been happy if we paid ANY of the defensive tackles signed today around the league what they got paid.

We can find upgrades through the draft and/or wait until the next wave of free agency to sign average defensive linemen to replace the average defensive linemen we lost, for much cheaper. Or better yet, wait and sign a guy like Suh for a mere fraction of what Onyemata got.

Right! It looks like as it stands now...

• DT David Onyemata. Onyemata agreed on a three-year contract with the Atlanta Falcons averaging $11.6 million per year, which is valued as a fourth-round pick.
  • DT Shy Tuttle. Tuttle agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the Carolina Panthers that averages out to $6.5 million per year, which is projected as a sixth-round pick.
  • DE Marcus Davenport. Davenport reached an agreement with the Minnesota Vikings on a one-year, $13 million contract offer, which is projected to be a fourth-round pick.
  • LB Kaden Elliss. Elliss and the Atlanta Falcons agreed to terms on a free agent contract valued at $7.1 million per year, which projects at a sixth-round pick.

This is great…now we just have to hope we don’t sign any true unrestricted free agents whose contracts expired, unlike last year when we chose to sacrifice a third round pick to sign Dalton.

I’d really like to see the Saints make a greater effort to take advantage of this system. Many other teams do. Every draft pick you obtain is pretty much a very nice odds lottery ticket for a good, cheap player.

This is great…now we just have to hope we don’t sign any true unrestricted free agents whose contracts expired, unlike last year when we chose to sacrifice a third round pick to sign Dalton.

I’d really like to see the Saints make a greater effort to take advantage of this system. Many other teams do. Every draft pick you obtain is pretty much a very nice odds lottery ticket for a good, cheap player.
Agree. We are above average in finding good players in the draft, we just seem to always have limited picks due to trading them away. 2024 draft could be big for us.

They are not jumping ship. They are getting paid. We can’t pay them. It’s ok.

I don’t think we will miss some of them as much as you think. Sometimes we over value players. We will be alright.
Yes, but the point of the thread was we already had more holes than draft picks and what’s out there is going for premium $. Hope I’m wrong

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom