Players Jumping Ship (1 Viewer)

tryouts comin....

fat-football-player-dance.gif
Yeah, baby !! The Disco Defense will lift the Saints D back to it's lofty heights.
And give our opponent's offenses some
Sunday Night Fever . 😏

Right! It looks like as it stands now...

• DT David Onyemata. Onyemata agreed on a three-year contract with the Atlanta Falcons averaging $11.6 million per year, which is valued as a fourth-round pick.
  • DT Shy Tuttle. Tuttle agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the Carolina Panthers that averages out to $6.5 million per year, which is projected as a sixth-round pick.
  • DE Marcus Davenport. Davenport reached an agreement with the Minnesota Vikings on a one-year, $13 million contract offer, which is projected to be a fourth-round pick.
  • LB Kaden Elliss. Elliss and the Atlanta Falcons agreed to terms on a free agent contract valued at $7.1 million per year, which projects at a sixth-round pick.
Now this is what I call a saintsreport.com
post.

Was Jairus Byrd 1st day of free agency worthy in 2014? How about Kurt Coleman in 2018?

And yes, you do need players to play the positions, however going out and signing a player to an expensive deal the first day of free agency doesn’t guarantee that move will pan out anymore than signing a player a few days into the next wave of free agency.

The front office has a value set on all of our free agents (both incoming and outgoing) and they won’t deviate much from it. We like to let the market set itself and work from there vs. overspending for a player that might not fit. With how well we’ve drafted replenishing talent the last ~7 years, we’re afforded that luxury. Teams like the Falcons and Panthers haven’t drafted as well and have to shell out bigger contracts to lure and land prospective free agents.

While I would’ve liked to keep some of the guys we lost in free agency, you can’t deny that our run defense last year was gaudy at best (finishing in the bottom-half or bottom-third of the league in nearly every category) compared to previous years of finishing in the top-third or even top-5. How would re-signing most of those players to overpriced deals just to keep them make the run defense better in 2023?
I agree that they were probably not worth the amount they got, but if Plan B is counting on cheaper second tier guys or rookies being better than what we had, I think we're in for a disappointment. Loomis and Ireland haven't shown any ability to draft D lineman they're willing to pay to keep.

• DT David Onyemata. Onyemata agreed on a three-year contract with the Atlanta Falcons averaging $11.6 million per year, which is valued as a fourth-round pick.
  • DT Shy Tuttle. Tuttle agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the Carolina Panthers that averages out to $6.5 million per year, which is projected as a sixth-round pick.
  • DE Marcus Davenport. Davenport reached an agreement with the Minnesota Vikings on a one-year, $13 million contract offer, which is projected to be a fourth-round pick.
  • LB Kaden Elliss. Elliss and the Atlanta Falcons agreed to terms on a free agent contract valued at $7.1 million per year, which projects at a sixth-round pick.
The article states that you are limited to 4 comp picks, but 9'ers got 7 picks this year.

Why the extra picks??

The article states that you are limited to 4 comp picks, but 9'ers got 7 picks this year.

Why the extra picks??

The minority hires thing. Demeco Ryans, Mike McDaniels, and Robert Saleh.

EDIT: Ran Carthon was also hired as a GM, giving them two.

Here is the full breakdown:

Having 9 draft picks this year is going to be very useful. In the end, our middle of the d-line underperformed last year. Average tackles will be available later in free agency. In the end, we got less than average out of the tackles last year, so replacing that production should be very doable.

I agree that they were probably not worth the amount they got, but if Plan B is counting on cheaper second tier guys or rookies being better than what we had, I think we're in for a disappointment. Loomis and Ireland haven't shown any ability to draft D lineman they're willing to pay to keep.
To be fair, they did pay Onyemata when he came up for his first contract extension in 2020 signing for 3-years, $27M. Now he’s about to be 31 and they didn’t want to commit significant money to him after he’s already seeming to decline, I can’t fault them for that. Would’ve liked to keep him for a decent price but the DT free agent market is INSANE right now so way better to draft and get younger at the position.

To be fair, they did pay Onyemata when he came up for his first contract extension in 2020 signing for 3-years, $27M. Now he’s about to be 31 and they didn’t want to commit significant money to him after he’s already seeming to decline, I can’t fault them for that. Would’ve liked to keep him for a decent price but the DT free agent market is INSANE right now so way better to draft and get younger at the position.
Agreed. I just don't see how the line doesn't take a major step back even though they weren't great last year.

This is interesting...

"Because the Panthers are going to sign Dalton after his contract with the Saints expired, he’ll be qualify as a compensatory free agent for the 2024 NFL draft. Normally, that means the Saints would stand to get comp pick for losing Dalton. Probably a sixth rounder next season. But the Saints have already qualified for the maximum four comp picks allowed for 2024, so they won’t get anything for Dalton after all.

But wait, there’s more. While the Saints aren’t going to receive a comp pick for Dalton, his departure does still work in their favor for this process. His loss will work as a buffer between the Saints and any compensatory free agents that they do sign in the days and weeks ahead. That means New Orleans could sign a qualifying free agent like, say, New York Jets defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins, and he wouldn’t count towards their total. Dalton and Rankins would cancel each other out as far as the comp picks formula is concerned.

Which means the Saints would still be getting the projected comp picks for losing defensive linemen Marcus Davenport, David Onyemata, and Shy Tuttle as well as linebacker Kaden Elliss in 2024 (a mix of fourth- and sixth-round picks). They could jeopardize one or more of those picks by signing additional qualifying free agents, but if the Saints are careful and play this right they could address their team needs and still come out ahead with multiple comp picks in 2024. That’s going to be huge for a roster looking for an injection of young talent on salary cap-friendly rookie contracts."

Players aren’t jumping ship, they’re getting overpaid by teams who have tons of holes, cap space and are happy to pay the ‘bad team tax’.

We can’t compete on salary when teams like the Falcons are overpaying every average player in sight. Anyway, the D-Line wasn’t good at all last year so getting the chance to remake it in the draft might not be a bad thing. Not one of Davenport, Tuttle and Onyemata were good last year, I’m really not bothered about them leaving.

This. I would go so far as to say the defense wasn't very good last year.

I know the narrative here was they were great, but truthfully....they weren't good and the D line was the worst group. This is addition by subtraction. Whoever plays can't be much worse than what we had and they will be much cheaper.

Is this a possible strategy to try and load up on cheap talent next year?

Still got Huggy Bear and Roach to bring back to help the DL. And there will be options. Some may be out of our price range but a phone call never hurts.

Campbell
Z. Smith if released
Rankins
Malcolm Brown, what's the guy up to?
Poona Ford
Clowney
Ngakoue
Frank Clark
A'Shawn Robinson
Could bring AQM back
Dean Lowry
That is a motley arse crew.

This. I would go so far as to say the defense wasn't very good last year.

I know the narrative here was they were great, but truthfully....they weren't good and the D line was the worst group. This is addition by subtraction. Whoever plays can't be much worse than what we had and they will be much cheaper.
I know it’s bad of me but I’m glad they’re all gone. All of em. For all of the reasons that have been stated before.
Is this a possible strategy to try and load up on cheap talent next year?
Certainly hope so. We will probably trade them all for one pick tho lol.
That is a motley arse crew.
I like a few of em.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom