Players' reaction to hiring of Rob Ryan (1 Viewer)

SaintJKA

WhoDat from the Womb!
Reaction score
Searched but came up empty. If already posted, please delete.

Thought this article was interesting. Two of the mentioned quotes are below, as well as a comment by Shanle.

I'm glad to hear that Vilma likes the hiring.

Saints players applaud the hiring of Rob Ryan

Jabari Greer ::
"I am excited to get to work with our new defensive coordinator," Greer said. "We have a lot of work to do, but we also have the men with the desire to get it done."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/jeffduncantp">jeffduncantp</a>: A look at man who could b new DC: Rob Ryan would bring attitutude: <a href="http://t.co/Bdk3x4Ou" title="http://bit.ly/1226a0E">bit.ly/1226a0E</a> ..I tweeted this yest.attitude!</p>&mdash; Scott Shanle (@scottshanle) <a href="https://twitter.com/scottshanle/status/299557212521656321">February 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I think Rob Ryan is a real good hire for us. What do you guys think? Good or bad, and why?</p>&mdash; Jonathan Vilma (@JonVilma51) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonVilma51/status/300284268628811776">February 9, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jordan
"The 3-4 is what I ran in college and it's something similar to (what) we ran with coach Gregg Williams," defensive end Cameron Jordan told The Times-Picayune on Saturday. "Hopefully it won't be that hard to transition from the 4-3 to the 3-4. It sounds like what I have been doing.
"It's a blitzing, attacking system, which will be fun. I think it suits me. Without a doubt (outside pass rushers Junior Galette and Martez Wilson) will be the most excited about the situation. As long as everybody is on the same page, I can't see why this wouldn't be a great fit for us."

Speaking of Martez Wilson:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>From the little bit that I've seen of the Saints D the past 2 years...I think Martez Wilson has a chance to thrive. Just a hunch.</p>&mdash; Scott Fujita (@scottfujita99) <a href="https://twitter.com/scottfujita99/status/300306164497936387">February 9, 2013</a></blockquote>

Remember that play that sealed the game against San Diego this past year where Wilson simply flashed by Gaither and sack/fumbled Philip Rivers?

Sure Gaither was gimpy on that play, but I could get used to seeing that on a weekly basis. I think he'll have a chance to do it with RR as DC.

Wouldn't it be normal for players to say nice things about their boss even if not true

Yeah, but anyone reading it can sense the difference between a possible party line like "I'm looking forward to the opportunity" and specific praise/comments/discussion like "Attitude!" and "I ran something similar to this before and hope the transition won't be too tough."

I get the feeling the guys really are pretty enthusiastic about the hire. Given the almost total silence about Spags aside from some late-year anonymous reports of dissatisfaction with him, I think it's a good sign that players are expressing optimism.

On an entirely different note, I think I'd faint with joy if I heard Scott Fujita was coming back in any capacity. I just love him, and I still believe he can eat an Oreo faster than any Manning, ever.

Wouldn't it be normal for players to say nice things about their boss even if not true

...or just say nothing at all, unless provoked. These seem to be uncilited, so I'd say the answer to your question is not necessarily.

Thats the the biggest plus though about Rob Ryan. EVERYONE who's played for him loves the guy. He's got that whole "players coach" thing down to a science. He's a firestarter. like Gregg Williams, and at this point, I think thats what we need. I think Rob gets knocked because people unfairly liken him to Rex. And at the end of the day, sure he wasnt the guy most fans wanted. But he's obviously the guy the team brass wanted, and we gotta trust the move. I had already began to warm up to Rob Ryan when they announced he was in the running.

Thats the the biggest plus though about Rob Ryan. EVERYONE who's played for him loves the guy. He's got that whole "players coach" thing down to a science. He's a firestarter. like Gregg Williams, and at this point, I think thats what we need. I think Rob gets knocked because people unfairly liken him to Rex. And at the end of the day, sure he wasnt the guy most fans wanted. But he's obviously the guy the team brass wanted, and we gotta trust the move. I had already began to warm up to Rob Ryan when they announced he was in the running.

Agree totally! Having players that actually like/respect a coach goes a long way. I can almost taste a Super Bowl birth next year.

Remember that play that sealed the game against San Diego this past year where Wilson simply flashed by Gaither and sack/fumbled Philip Rivers?

Sure Gaither was gimpy on that play, but I could get used to seeing that on a weekly basis. I think he'll have a chance to do it with RR as DC.

His opponent was clearly inhibited by an injury. I'd like to see that against some real talent.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

. And at the end of the day, sure he wasnt the guy most fans wanted.

We had a poll where most fans did indeed wanted Rob Ryan......everybody wanted a new direction, other than the direction Spags was leading the defense, so why not continue with the same direction the players are familiar with....Rob Ryan's D will be pretty much a continuation of the GW led D, but with probably a bit less blitz....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom