Players to absolutely make the Final 53 Right Now (1 Viewer)

saintboblsu

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
As of today

IMHO, there are 29 players currently on roster with a 95% chance or better of making the final 53, most solely based on the cap hit that would be taken if they would not be carried, others based on their current friendly price

9 QB Drew Brees
3 QB Tyler Palko
25 RB Reggie Bush
23 RB Pierre Thomas
44 FB Mike Karney
12 WR Marques Colston
17 WR Robert Meachem
18 WR Terrance Copper
70 OT Jammal Brown
78 OT Jon Stinchcomb
74 OT Jermon Bushrod
64 OT Zach Strief
73 G Jahri Evans
67 G Jamar Nesbit
65 G Andy Alleman
76 C Jonathan Goodwin
91 DE Will Smith
94 DE Charles Grant
97 DE Josh Cooper
99 DT Hollis Thomas
71 DT Kendrick Clancy
96 DT Antwan Lake
55 LB Scott Fujita
58 LB Scott Shanle
34 CB Mike McKensie
42 CB Jason David
41 S Roman Harper
7 P Steve Weatherford
47 LS Kevin Houser

Looks like a pretty fair list, but there are two names that immediately jump out at me as being far from 95% certain to make the final roster: Copper and Palko. I know we really like Palko, but we're probably just going to carry 2 QBs, and I wouldn't be so certain that Palko will be the one at this point to go into the season as Brees' sole backup. Copper is a FA this year, and I haven't even heard anything about us re-signing him yet, so his cap hit is irrelevant at this point.

Copper just signed a 2 or 3 year 2.75 mil deal

You're probably right about Palko. He's is the longest shot listed, but I think if they'd practice squad him right out of camp, someone will pick him up, and i can't see them letting that happen. Not with Martin gone, they'd keep a third qb and one of their backups (palko) would have 1 year in the system. I think stepping in for Brees would be a daunting task in our offense and that's why Martin's been a good #2 for the coaches' comfort level. Martin even missed alot of camp last year and they still had no doubts the entire time that he'd be #2.

No free agent or drafted qb that we'd get could step in for Brees right out the gate, therefore Palko would be the safest #2

i could definetly see us spending a 4th round on a qb, but even still, Palko would most likely be #2 going into the season

Last edited:
Tyler Palko isn't anywhere close to being a lock to make the final 53. In fact, I frankly doubt it that he will.

There are some other question marks on there as well (Josh Cooper, Antwan Lake, etc).
Even though Copper's deal doesn't make him uncuttable by any stretch, we wouldn't have resigned him prior to FA if we didn't see him on our roster for 2008.

Bullocks should be on that list also....he's only in trouble of making the 53 man roster on this board......

Man you forgot: Asante Samuel, Sean Rodgers, Cromartie, Jon Vilma, and Lance Briggs..... where is your head??

Bullocks should be on that list also....he's only in trouble of making the 53 man roster on this board......

The only reason Bullocks is less than a 95% lock imo is that this is the last year of his contract. He'd be easy to cut. If they feel like he is not the long term answer at FS that may be all the more reason to dump him.

I predict he'll make the team next year, only not very sure about it. I'd say that Kaesvihorn has just as good a chance. If he does, he most likely won't be a starter. I don't think we have our starting free safety yet for next year.

Being objective, he's closer to 80% though

Last edited:

Exactly. :9:

And with all the complaints about our horrible LBs, lack of pass rush, and Jason David, I really don't see how he gets so much hate. You can't make chicken salad with chicken ****.

Bullocks and Harper will start next year barring injuries.

Bullocks is a beast with speed! The coaching staff should let him play center field and quit having him support the run. Bullocks is a better safety than he gets credit on this board.

Bullocks is a beast with speed! The coaching staff should let him play center field and quit having him support the run. Bullocks is a better safety than he gets credit on this board.

He's not the Nebraska Bullocks we all thought we were gonna get but he isnt inept either, like people on this board like to think, there judgeing him based off of 10 plays of a 16 game season....he got torched, he took bad angles on tackles....but who didnt?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom