Players who refuse to play when drafted (1 Viewer)

JimmyB1775

Guy behind the guy
Reaction score
I saw the 30 for 30 commercial and it reminded me of - the Elway story, obviously - and the Eli Manning incident of 2004. I live here in San Diego and have for the last 7 years. I'm not a fan of California, but I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to play and live here in San Diego. The fan base isn't what it is in other places, but they don't have the franchise and wins that others do. Does anyone NOT feel like thats a classless move? Everyone seems to forget that stuff here when the Giants are winning more than just a fluke (both were flukes) Super Bowls. Elway's situation was just as frustrating.

I know this isn't the forum for this, but its so freaking slow lately and the 30/30 commercial fired me up at 6:40am.

I googled 30/30.

This is what I got:

10_1.JPG

:idunno:

Manning didn't want to play for the Chargers organization, specifically A.J. Smith. You know, the genius who cast Drew Brees aside.
I'm sure most people would love to play in San Diego -- but playing for Sand Diego is a different subject.

Manning didn't want to play for the Chargers organization, specifically A.J. Smith. You know, the genius who cast Drew Brees aside.
I'm sure most people would love to play in San Diego -- but playing for Sand Diego is a different subject.

This is correct. The cities of Baltimore and San Diego weren't the problem in either case, but the Colts and Chargers organizations were.

the way i see it is if a person does't want to play for the team that drafts them then dont enter the draft, get signed as a UFA. thats the whole point of the draft, you dont know what pick you are going at, its part of the process

Heaven forbid a player have a list of places they would be willing to play & live in and a list they would not - how dare they! :rolleyes:

This is correct. The cities of Baltimore and San Diego weren't the problem in either case, but the Colts and Chargers organizations were.
I've always felt that this isn't necessarily the case.

Archie was very much involved in the move to NY. I think it was more about the fact that the endorsement deals would be far more lucrative in the larger market than in San Diego. He's made many many more millions playing where he is than he would have otherwise.

Peyton was already making nice money peddling his face playing for the colts. They knew that it was financially a better move to be in a large market.

Heaven forbid a player have a list of places they would be willing to play & live in and a list they would not - how dare they! :rolleyes:

Like the poster said above you, by entering the draft, it isn't your decision. He should have just gone to FA and hoped he get picked up and get a mediocre salary for a few years.

the way i see it is if a person does't want to play for the team that drafts them then dont enter the draft, get signed as a UFA. thats the whole point of the draft, you dont know what pick you are going at, its part of the process

It doesn't work like this. Players are automatically eligible to be drafted once they meet certain requirements (the obvious one is "graduated college this year"). Players who don't meet those requirements can apply for "special eligibility" to fast-track their eligibility (typically juniors and red-shirt sophomores). Literally everyone who has graduated college has been draft-eligible. If a player is drafted, the team has the exclusive right to negotiate with him for a year. If they fail to reach an agreement, he becomes draft-eligible again the following year.

There is no "opt out" for the draft.

im not sayin that they do, im sure they all do, buy you dont always get what you want.

Except that these players did...

Normally in life, this would be true. But when you are considered one of the best in department in which your services are required, you get to make these kinds of demands. Is it right? Maybe/Maybe not. But that's life. You wanna be able to choose your path, work hard and be the best.

I would LOVE to live in San Diego, but I'm not a football player that was drafted by the Chargers. However, I agree with the OP, just shut up and play for the team that drafted you. Except, for Bo Jackson and what he did to the Bucs. They deserved being spurned by him.

I loved Eli's face after he was selected by the Chargers. Priceless. He looked like a spoiled brat who finally got put in his place.

I saw the 30 for 30 commercial and it reminded me of - the Elway story, obviously - and the Eli Manning incident of 2004. I live here in San Diego and have for the last 7 years. I'm not a fan of California, but I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to play and live here in San Diego. The fan base isn't what it is in other places, but they don't have the franchise and wins that others do. Does anyone NOT feel like thats a classless move? Everyone seems to forget that stuff here when the Giants are winning more than just a fluke (both were flukes) Super Bowls. Elway's situation was just as frustrating.

I know this isn't the forum for this, but its so freaking slow lately and the 30/30 commercial fired me up at 6:40am.

You've got it easy living in San Diego my friend. All sunshine, women, and a few Sailors/Marines isn't it? Sure beats where I'm at that's for sure. That said I'm not a fan of a lot of things here and I've never lived anywhere else so I can understand I suppose.

Anyways, I agree with you that it's something I don't like to see. I get it, as others said those organizations at the time didn't seem committed to winning but I think you should play where your taken and it's a bit of an "entitled" move to do otherwise. I mean those are the rules for 99% of the players, why should someone be able to demand where they play?

You can argue they earned that right through their ability (though at the time I think the name helped Eli more than his career at Ole Miss) but I still don't like it. I can't imagine other draftees really like it either but the teams go along with it so there you go. It would be interesting to see a team call their bluff sometime but I'm not sure I have, if I did it wasn't as publicized.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom