Playing to Roman Harper's strengths (1 Viewer)

SebaSaint

Indonesian Coon***
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know that there is a lot of discontent on here with Roman Harper. There always has been. I think maybe a lot of it has to do with how he was used and what we were hoping for coming out of Alabama in 2006. We know the guy isn't Ed Reed, he's got hands of stone. What he is good at is playing on the line, run defense and rushing the QB. He's not half bad when used strictly for this application which makes me think that if we keep him, that is exactly how Rob Ryan plans to use him.

Roman Harper, Saints. New Orleans fans might not want to hear this, but all indications are the Saints are sticking with Harper at strong safety. If they weren’t it’s likely they would have released him by now or at least asked him to take a cut in pay. Only the Saints know what they have planned for Harper. But the fact that he still is around is a pretty good indication that new coordinator Rob Ryan has plans for Harper. That likely means the Saints will let Harper play to his strengths -- helping against the run and being used as a blitzer -- and not being asked to do too much in coverage.

NFC South offseason Stock Watch - NFC South Blog - ESPN

That's fine and I hope it works out that we use him that way and limit his exposure in coverage.

It just sucks paying a Safety that much money to basically be a two down player. But I digress. I'm a broken record on that front.

Draft his replacement, groom him with a selective snap count, replace Harper completely by mid-season, move on next season.

We need to put him in the box to blitz more.

his salary doesn't meet his ability. He plays in the secondary. job description cover and tackle!!! If they played to every ones strengths then were would the D be. On a steady decline since the Superbowl. Cut bait and take the salary cap hit starting June 1 on Harper!

I know that there is a lot of discontent on here with Roman Harper. There always has been. I think maybe a lot of it has to do with how he was used and what we were hoping for coming out of Alabama in 2006. We know the guy isn't Ed Reed, he's got hands of stone. What he is good at is playing on the line, run defense and rushing the QB. He's not half bad when used strictly for this application which makes me think that if we keep him, that is exactly how Rob Ryan plans to use him.

NFC South offseason Stock Watch - NFC South Blog - ESPN
I have no issue with trying to give a player chances to do what fits them best. With that being said, his job description is a strong safety. That means he is a member of the secondary, and his first priorities are to cover and tackle well first, and blitz around the LOS second. To be honest, his tackling has been subpar the past year or two period. We will likely keep him as the starting SS which is fine, but we need to draft a solid young free safety. This safety combo of him and Jenkins must be broken up. Jenkins or Harper back there, but not both at the same time. Hopefully improved pass rush will help Harper in coverage.

we may do like balimore, Leonard will be the ed reed and harper will be our pollard

Well we might as well make the best out of our situation and just let him blitz like crazy when need be

8 mil to blitz and dive head first at ball carriers. Ok.

This is what im thinking....

Playing to Roman's strenghts kind of handicaps us in a way if you think about it.

I get it because hes a valuable player especially in the locker room and what not and u don't have anybody to replace him etc etc.

I don't know how true the rumor is that Payton only fired Spags because he blamed the poor performance on personell but if we made a drastic (in theory) change to a 3-4 then having the 2 worst ranked safeties has merit a change as well....somewhere.

As ive mentioned b4...Roman made his bread n butter in the 3-3-5 package as basically a blitzing 4th LB.

Well in the 3-4 our base nickel will probably be a 2-4-5....theres no need for another blitzing LB/S hybrid. So where does he fit in besides the base defense and particular packages?

If thats the case he becomes very expensive for that role.

8 mil to blitz and dive head first at ball carriers. Ok.

He is an over the hill, overpaid hack that forms 1/2 of the worst safety tandem in the NFL hands down. They were abused all year and need to go, period. Leohnard can replace one of them. Now we need another. Make it happen Loomis!

I think Harper is going to surprise a lot of people this year. Harper is a very good blitzer for a safety and Rob Ryan will definitely have some unique ways to get him involved. He'll be a key piece for Ryan when it comes to pass rush. I'm starting to think there's more to the Jim Leonhard signing...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom