N/S Playmakers: A Retrospective Of A One Season Wonder (1 Viewer)

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
First, I would like to say I really didn’t know to post this here or EE, but since it’s football adjacent and hints at the workings of the NFL, I decided to post it here. Please move if necessary.

It may be hard to imagine, but before the 30 For 30s, ESPN first attempt at scripted programming was a show called, “Ppaymakers.” In fact, they went all out. It was an HBO style one hour drama. And it was good. It was up to the standards of the cornerstone of the TV landscape at the time, “The Sopranos,” but for a first season, it was decent and there was potential. But it was Vance too soon. Like legit. If you look up lists about shows getting hastily canned without a second opinion, I think you’d find Playmakers on many of those articles, along with Police Squad, but that’s a different story.
I’m mainly bringing this up because I just started the series again and a few episodes in and it still holds up. I don’t think it’s available on streaming, but you can find the DVD for about $5 on EBay. I’d recommend it.

First, I would like to say I really didn’t know to post this here or EE, but since it’s football adjacent and hints at the workings of the NFL, I decided to post it here. Please move if necessary.

It may be hard to imagine, but before the 30 For 30s, ESPN first attempt at scripted programming was a show called, “Ppaymakers.” In fact, they went all out. It was an HBO style one hour drama. And it was good. It was up to the standards of the cornerstone of the TV landscape at the time, “The Sopranos,” but for a first season, it was decent and there was potential. But it was Vance too soon. Like legit. If you look up lists about shows getting hastily canned without a second opinion, I think you’d find Playmakers on many of those articles, along with Police Squad, but that’s a different story.
I’m mainly bringing this up because I just started the series again and a few episodes in and it still holds up. I don’t think it’s available on streaming, but you can find the DVD for about $5 on EBay. I’d recommend it.
Rumor has it, ESPN's fictional NFL series playmakers was a little to close to actual stuff that goes on in the NFL so the NFL made them pull it off the air.

Rumor has it, ESPN's fictional NFL series playmakers was a little to close to actual stuff that goes on in the NFL so the NFL made them pull it off the air.
It’s not a rumor. Even in the definitive ESPN biography, “Those Guys Have All The Fun” it’s stated that Tags pulled the show.

I was disappointed when they canceled it.

I was disappointed when they canceled it.
Just to play devil’s advocate, ESPN was in a business they couldn’t succeed. They couldn’t get enough non sports viewers to turn on the channel to watch a drama. Then, you add the NFL pressure.
Had this been aired on HBO, Showtime, or FX, it would’ve gotten a nice four or five season run.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom