Playoff rankings on Monday (1 Viewer)

they get their chance to prove themselves when they play OSU. That said, I agree in spirit... non Power 5 undefeateds also can get a shot if we have 8 teams in the CFP.
Yeah, that will be an important game to settle the matter for sure. But there won't always be such a defining game for some undefeated teams.

I do realize that the biggest obstacle to such an extended college season is the possibility of injuries to the kids who are moving on to the NFL draft. There are already some players who are sitting out their bowl games so as not to take a hit in their selection due to the chance of injury. So ultimately the decision to go to 8 teams will be based on how to make compensation if a draft eligible player faces a debilitating injury while playing in these 'extra' games.

Yeah, that will be an important game to settle the matter for sure. But there won't always be such a defining game for some undefeated teams.

I do realize that the biggest obstacle to such an extended college season is the possibility of injuries to the kids who are moving on to the NFL draft. There are already some players who are sitting out their bowl games so as not to take a hit in their selection due to the chance of injury. So ultimately the decision to go to 8 teams will be based on how to make compensation if a draft eligible player faces a debilitating injury while playing in these 'extra' games.
Whatever we do, we should not extend the season for these college players unless we compensate them for taking the risk. I'm not in favor of paying players for the regular season, but bowls are almost abusive. I know they are competitors and fans love them, but bowl games are basicly money making schemes. We should reward players with a percent of the profits, with the winners getting slightly more. This would also give players even more incentive to win during the "amateur" season.

IF the NCAA expands to 8 teams, to avoid extending the season, I think conferences will have to eliminate their conference championships or reduce the number of games they play during the regular season. With 8 teams and no conference championship, then probably both the winner of the East and West of the SEC would get in to the playoffs this year, because either Florida or Georgia are probably going to be ranked in the top 8 by the end of the regular season. We already play to cross-conference games to help evaluate the strength of the conference divisions, so I would be satisfied with eliminating at least one conference game. Even if we did this, I still would like to incentivize players to play in these post season games with some share of the profits.

Bama still has a really good shot of playing back into the playoffs.
Their strength of schedule is weak compared to top teams in the country. They got shellacked by Clemson in the Ship last year. We beat them in their own home stadium, and it was more decisive than the score. I think their luster is wearing off. They definitely do not deserve to back in a second time after not even winning their conference division.

Bama still has a really good shot of playing back into the playoffs. It would basically take them winning out, LSU winning out and the committee picking Bama over loser of Mn/tOSU game.
Baylor still has an outside shot but it's about the odds of Lloyd Christmas hooking up with Mary Swanson.
I know this is the popular line of thinking. If Bama wins out, they will have be 1-1 vs top 25 teams. Will not have won their conference or even their division. They will have managed to get added to the playoffs for no other reason than they're Bama. They have done nothing this season to make them worthy of such consideration. Any claims made would either be based on previous seasons or arguing the losses of other teams while ignoring the wins of the other teams.

That would be some major BS.

Can't stand this argument. If 2 of the top 4 teams are in the same division of the same conference, then they deserve to be in.
What has Bama done in 2019 to warrant consideration as a top 4 team? Their best win is vs a likely 7-5 TAMU and a USC team that just lost to Appalachian State.

What has Bama done in 2019 to warrant consideration as a top 4 team? Their best win is vs a likely 7-5 TAMU and a USC team that just lost to Appalachian State.
That was not my argument. My argument was that just bc a team doesnt win their division within their conference should not make them automatically disqualified.

That was not my argument. My argument was that just bc a team doesnt win their division within their conference should not make them automatically disqualified.
Nothing automatically disqualifies a team from being considered, but common sense usually takes a step forward eventually...

Can't stand this argument. If 2 of the top 4 teams are in the same division of the same conference, then they deserve to be in.
Bama is not a top four team and has played a soft schedule. The one game they had to win, they lost in their own house. Your argument is weak, pal. I really can't stand weak arguments. :ROFLMAO:

Bama is not a top four team and has played a soft schedule. The one game they had to win, they lost in their own house. Your argument is weak, pal. I really can't stand weak arguments. :ROFLMAO:
Again, when did i say bama was a top 4 team? That is not the argument i was making.

I was arguing that not winning your division in your conference does not automatically mean you are not a top 4 team in the country.

Case in point in 2011 with bama and lsu in the championship. It was clear these were the 2 best teams in the country that year.

Again, when did i say bama was a top 4 team? That is not the argument i was making.

I was arguing that not winning your division in your conference does not automatically mean you are not a top 4 team in the country.
You can't have it both ways, pal. Bama is not a top 4 team, and even if they run the table their strength of schedule should work against them ever being back in the top 4 this season. So, as I originally posted, it's not only that they won't even win their division as long as LSU takes care of business, it's that they intentionally played a weak schedule in order to make it as easy as possible to get to the playoffs but blew it in their own house against their toughest opponent. That reeks of being undeserving. Let me leave you with this:
Because it’s Alabama — and only because it’s Alabama — this is going to be more complicated than it needs to be.
If we lived in a logical world, Saturday’s 46-41 loss to LSU would be case closed. Alabama, which does not own a win against a top-25 team much less a good team, won't win the SEC or even the SEC West and lost at home in the game it needed to win, should not be in the College Football Playoff. Barring some sort of nationwide catastrophe, there are going to be enough good options for the selection committee among a group of teams who have played better opponents and won conference titles that Alabama should be outside the very fringe of that discussion.

You can't have it both ways, pal. Bama is not a top 4 team, and even if they run the table their strength of schedule should work against them ever being back in the top 4 this season. So, as I originally posted, it's not only that they won't even win their division as long as LSU takes care of business, it's that they intentionally played a weak schedule in order to make it as easy as possible to get to the playoffs but blew it in their own house against their toughest opponent. That reeks of being undeserving. Let me leave you with this:
dude, AGAIN, i never said bama deserves to be in the top 4. Please tell me when and where i said that after the lsu game.

I was arguing a point that someone made. They said if you don't win your division within your conference then you shouldn't be in the playoff, which i disagreed with, case-in-point the 2011 bama/lsu national championship.

If you tell me again that bama is not a top 4 team, i will bang my head against a freakin wall. Thats not the point i am making, PAL.

If you tell me again that bama is not a top 4 team, i will bang my head against a freakin wall. Thats not the point i am making, PAL.
The problem here is the point you're trying to make is irrelevant.

Not that it means anything, but the AP poll just dropped and Bama is #4. This is why we no longer allow sportswriters to make decisions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom