Playoff rankings on Monday (1 Viewer)

The problem here is the point you're trying to make is irrelevant.

Not that it means anything, but the AP poll just dropped and Bama is #4. This is why we no longer allow sportswriters to make decisions.
How is the argument irrelevant? If the playoff committee feels that 2 teams from the same division are considered top 4 teams in the nation, then they will be in.

Domeination mentioned earlier in the thread that if a team doesn't win their own division within their conference, that they shouldn't be allowed in, which is wrong.

dude, AGAIN, i never said bama deserves to be in the top 4. Please tell me when and where i said that after the lsu game.

I was arguing a point that someone made. They said if you don't win your division within your conference then you shouldn't be in the playoff, which i disagreed with, case-in-point the 2011 bama/lsu national championship.

If you tell me again that bama is not a top 4 team, i will bang my head against a freakin wall. Thats not the point i am making, PAL.
Tell me where I said it is only about winning your division. I made the point about Bama's weak schedule from the get go, yet you tried to make it all about just a team winning it's division. You say I am misrepresenting your position, but you misrepresented mine from the get go, dude.

It isnt hard. All he is saying is that a team shouldnt be disqualified just for not winning their division/conference. He is not saying that about Bama THIS YEAR.
He is saying it is theoretically possible for the top 2 teams in college football to be in the same division and as it is the job of the committee to choose the 4 best teams, then nobody should be disqualified SOLELY on the basis of not winnjng your division/conference

We arent talking about theoretical physics here.

It should be common sense but maybe it isn’t. The “top 4” teams should all have faced reasonably challenging roads to the playoffs or there is no point to awarding a national champion. Otherwise, teams like UCF the past couple seasons—or an undefeated Boise St or take your pick from any other similar program—would have a cakewalk path over more deserving programs.

We can’t just assume X team is deserving based solely on jersey colors or recruiting ratings. That’s why they play the stinking games in the first place!

The top 4 teams must PROVE it on the field. If BAMA had a handful of nice wins on their schedule then maybe you could argue they could get in the playoffs without even winning their own division.

Personally I would still disagree because of the fact that it is inherently unfair to conference champions who were forced to play and win an extra game, and especially unfair if a team who they already lost to once would have to go 2-0 in their games versus team X only needing 1-1.

But that is where the argument has to start. And BAMA this year simply does not have the resume.

It isnt hard. All he is saying is that a team shouldnt be disqualified just for not winning their division/conference. He is not saying that about Bama THIS YEAR.
He is saying it is theoretically possible for the top 2 teams in college football to be in the same division and as it is the job of the committee to choose the 4 best teams, then nobody should be disqualified SOLELY on the basis of not winnjng your division/conference

Good explanation. If during ANY season the two top teams in the nation have to play each other during the season, a close loss by one team shouldn't automatically eliminate them from playoff contention.

Losing to abother great team is hardly the same as losing a game to an unranked, statistically weak team.

However, the loser probably shouldn't make it in over an undefeated team who has had a tough strength of schedule to deal with.

Thank you

Of course it's about Bama this year, just like it was about Bama in 2011. Funny how this argument comes up just after LSU beat Bama for the second time in only the last 8 years. This is not some theoretical argument--the context is LSU beating Bama in 2019 and 2011. You can pretend it's not, but name one other team that has gotten into the national championship (prior to the playoffs) or into the playoffs who didn't win their division, let alone their conference. C'mon, name that team. It is totally about Bama, and pretending it's not is silly. I'm tired of the Bama entitlement. They do not deserve a do-over yet again. They just do not have an impressive record.

Of course it's about Bama this year, just like it was about Bama in 2011. Funny how this argument comes up just after LSU beat Bama for the second time in only the last 8 years. This is not some theoretical argument--the context is LSU beating Bama in 2019 and 2011. You can pretend it's not, but name one other team that has gotten into the national championship (prior to the playoffs) or into the playoffs who didn't win their division, let alone their conference. C'mon, name that team. It is totally about Bama, and pretending it's not is silly. I'm tired of the Bama entitlement. They do not deserve a do-over yet again. They just do not have an impressive record.
Dude ??‍♂️. I am done even discussing this with you, it has nothing to do with bama. It was simply about you saying a non-division winner of any conference should not be allowed in the playoff, which i disagreed.

Two simple questions

Is it theoretically possible for the top 2 teams in the nation to be in the same division? Yes or no, please.

Is it the job of the selection committee to have the top 4 teams in the nation in the college football playoffs? Yes or no, please.

Bama certainly doesn't seem to deserve a do-over this year, and that is mainly because they don't have the resume' to warrant being a top 4 team.

However, if by some miracle several other top 4 or 5 teams crashed and burned in the remainder of their regular season schedule, it would be hard to say that Alabama wouldn't be ranked ahead of those teams.

But since those 'miracle' losses aren't going to happen down the stretch of the season, Alabama shouldn't be allowed in the playoffs this year no matter how they finish their remaining games.

Ohio st got into the playoff in 2017. They didn’t win their division or their conference. Penn st beat Ohio st that year, won the big 10, and Ohio st went instead.
What else you got?

Ohio st got into the playoff in 2017. They didn’t win their division or their conference. Penn st beat Ohio st that year, won the big 10, and Ohio st went instead.
What else you got?

Wait...you mean it isnt just Bama?

Methinks the one accusing everyone or bama bias is the biased one

Dude ??‍♂️. I am done even discussing this with you, it has nothing to do with bama. It was simply about you saying a non-division winner of any conference should not be allowed in the playoff, which i disagreed.
If you're done, dude, then why this post? And, again, name one team that didn't win their conference division that got into the national championship (pre-playoffs), or into the playoffs. C'mon, name that team, b/c that's the only way you can demonstrate this is not about Alabama.

If you're done, dude, then why this post? And, again, name one team that didn't win their conference division that got into the national championship (pre-playoffs), or into the playoffs. C'mon, name that team, b/c that's the only way you can demonstrate this is not about Alabama.
Read 3 posts above. I’ll wait.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom