Playoff rankings on Monday (2 Viewers)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
It's starting to look pretty clear.
#1) LSU
#2) tOSU
#3) Clemson
#4) Minnesota (This may be the biggest jump in playoff history, from #17 to #4.
#5) Georgia
#6) Bama

Minnesota is undefeated and got a statement win against Penn State. Bama falls to #6 behind Georgia who has a better schedule at this point. Georgia can play there way in and control their own destiny. Mn and tOSU loser will probably be on the outside looking in. Clemson shouldn't be in based on their schedule but being undefeated and returning National Champs they'll get in.

Bama still has a really good shot of playing back into the playoffs. It would basically take them winning out, LSU winning out and the committee picking Bama over loser of Mn/tOSU game.
Baylor still has an outside shot but it's about the odds of Lloyd Christmas hooking up with Mary Swanson.

This is where it gets really fun. Hypothetically speaking. If undefeated LSU loses to a 1 loss Georgia team in the SEC Championship then Bama is basically eliminated regardless what they do because Georgia and LSU would be in with tOSU/Mn winner and Clemson.

I have no idea where to put minnesota. 4? 8? No idea.

I would keep bama ahead of georgia though. Yes georgia had a tougher schedule so far, but lost to an unranked team at home.

Bama lost to arguably the best team in the country, although it was at home, but i hate when they punish teams too much for losing to a top team.

I would keep bama ahead of georgia though. Yes georgia had a tougher schedule so far, but lost to an unranked team at home.

Bama lost to arguably the best team in the country, although it was at home, but i hate when they punish teams too much for losing to a top team.
I can't see them putting Minnesota any lowe at this point. Minnesota has a better strength of schedule than Clemson with a win against a top 5 team.

I would probably keep Bama ahead of Georgia but damn, Bama hasn't played anyone. At least UGA has wins over a couple top 10 teams. Besides, might as well put Bama behind UGA since UGA controls their own destiny at this point.

I hate when they punish a team for BEATING BAMA in Tuscaloosa. Happened in 2011 when LSU had to go 3-0 vs bama twice and uga, and bama only had to go 1-1 vs lsu. I will be absolutely disgusted if lsu wins out and bama still makes the playoffs. Also i think oklahoma makes it if they win out.

I hate when they punish a team for BEATING BAMA in Tuscaloosa. Happened in 2011 when LSU had to go 3-0 vs bama twice and uga, and bama only had to go 1-1 vs lsu. I will be absolutely disgusted if lsu wins out and bama still makes the playoffs. Also i think oklahoma makes it if they win out.
Oklahoma may be out of it in about 15 minutes.

I think Bama should drop to “others receiving votes”

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
I can't see them putting Minnesota any lowe at this point. Minnesota has a better strength of schedule than Clemson with a win against a top 5 team.

I would probably keep Bama ahead of Georgia but damn, Bama hasn't played anyone. At least UGA has wins over a couple top 10 teams. Besides, might as well put Bama behind UGA since UGA controls their own destiny at this point.
Minnesota has been barely beating trash teams all year by less than a touchdown, and then get a win due to a bunch of mistakes by Penn State, and suddenly they're jumping teams that have proven much more? No way. Besides, Penn State is way overrated at #5. Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, Florida and LSU would all crush Minnesota and probably beat Penn State. Minnesota's strength of schedule is 75th, so being undefeated isn't very impressive against that schedule. They essentially have 1 good win. That's the 1st top 25 team they've played this year.

What does that leave Oklahoma then, lapaz? The team that beat them, Kansas State, might have lost to Texas today but their resiliency has shown their not a pushover, either. They were ranked # 16th going into this week's games.

If OU wins out, including winning the BIG XII championship, where does that leave them by early December when CFB committee comes out with its final rankings.

Georgia could still lose to us, meaning Auburn, next week and if that happens any realistic shot of making the final 4 ends and their only saving grace in terms of salvaging their season is another SEC East division title and playing possible spoiler to likely LSU in the SECCG.

What does that leave Oklahoma then, lapaz? The team that beat them, Kansas State, might have lost to Texas today but their resiliency has shown their not a pushover, either. They were ranked # 16th going into this week's games.

If OU wins out, including winning the BIG XII championship, where does that leave them by early December when CFB committee comes out with its final rankings.

Georgia could still lose to us, meaning Auburn, next week and if that happens any realistic shot of making the final 4 ends and their only saving grace in terms of salvaging their season is another SEC East division title and playing possible spoiler to likely LSU in the SECCG.
I don't think Oklahoma deserves to be in the top 4 at this point. Oklahoma is a legit top 10 team only because of their offense, but their defense is horrible, so I don't think they deserve to be in the top 4. They barely squeeked by today 42 to 41 to a very average Iowa State team. If they were to win out, they will probably make the playoffs, because SEC teams will hang losses on each other, and the playoff committee punishes those losses more than they should, but I don't think Oklahoma would deserve it, unless they start beating teams more convincingly. It ain't just Ws and Ls, it's who those Ws and Ls came against, and how competitive the games were. I guarantee that all college teams would lose to every NFL team. Playing in the SEC is much tougher than playing against any other conference, and that should be taken into account.

Last edited:
who cares who they put in the "playoffs" now there is no playoffs now... we still have 4 more games to go for those wanting to make their case

With a 4 team playoff system, the true power teams who have cupcake schedules will be forced to roll up huge scores on their weak opponents simply because they won't be able to make the Top 4 on victories alone. There is absolutely no way that the AP voters would have had LSU ranked #1 last week if it weren't for their daunting schedule. And if it were not for the complete destruction (points & stats) of the teams that the Buckeyes humiliated, they certainly wouldn't be ranked (by many) to be above the other undefeated teams who won all their games by smaller numbers.

We simply must have an 8 team playoff system soon. There is far too much guesswork and partisan wrangling that is deciding who gets to play for the Dr. Pepper trophy. I don't know if Minnesota deserves to be in the Top 4 or not, but at this point it sure looks like they should have a chance to prove themselves to be among the other legitimate contenders in the one place it truly matters... at one of the playoff bowl games. There will likely be more than 4 teams that deserve a shot at the playoffs. And there's only one way to make sure that can happen. Add 4 more teams in that mix.

All I care about seeing is SOMEONE (looking at you Auburn) takes out Alabama and makes them a 2-loss team.

With a 4 team playoff system, the true power teams who have cupcake schedules will be forced to roll up huge scores on their weak opponents simply because they won't be able to make the Top 4 on victories alone. There is absolutely no way that the AP voters would have had LSU ranked #1 last week if it weren't for their daunting schedule. And if it were not for the complete destruction (points & stats) of the teams that the Buckeyes humiliated, they certainly wouldn't be ranked (by many) to be above the other undefeated teams who won all their games by smaller numbers.

We simply must have an 8 team playoff system soon. There is far too much guesswork and partisan wrangling that is deciding who gets to play for the Dr. Pepper trophy. I don't know if Minnesota deserves to be in the Top 4 or not, but at this point it sure looks like they should have a chance to prove themselves to be among the other legitimate contenders in the one place it truly matters... at one of the playoff bowl games. There will likely be more than 4 teams that deserve a shot at the playoffs. And there's only one way to make sure that can happen. Add 4 more teams in that mix.

they get their chance to prove themselves when they play OSU. That said, I agree in spirit... non Power 5 undefeateds also can get a shot if we have 8 teams in the CFP.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom