Playoffs.. and the rest of the season foretold (1 Viewer)

trujm

Very Banned
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that <b>this season looks a LOT like 2002</b>. We had the same record going into the same point of the season. If you recall, in 2002, we were 9-4 and <b>just had to WIN 1 OF THE FINAL 3 GAMES OF THE YEAR</b>. We got the first shot at Minnesota (who had a losing record at the time) in the superdome and THEY WERE DOWN BY 7 - and Daunte Culpepper hit Randy Moss in the endzone with like 20 seconds left on the clock. Well, Minnesota had nothing to lose so <b>they went for the two point conversion</b> and Culpepper dropped the ball.. it was laying on the carpet for anyone to pick up. <b>After everyone stared at the ball for, i dont know, 10 YEARS MAYBE? - Culpepper picks up the ball and runs it into the endzone</b>, and the Saints lose that game. They couldnt beat 1-13 Cincinatti the next week, and the same goes for 6-9 Carolina the week after that. The Saints, after getting out to a 7-2 start, went on to lose 5 out of the next 7 games to miss the playoffs.

<b>Here is how it went down in 2002:</b>http://saintsreport.com/2000schedule_popup.htm

What lesson can be learned here?

Well... it starts with the previous week in the past and <b>looking at each week as a fresh start</b>. If they bring the past with them, each losing game can start a snowball effect of bad play.

We HAVE to take care of business versus the LOSING Bucs and LOSING Steelers. These are crucial games for the rest of the season

This loss on Sunday is going to test the mettle of the team - NOW we will see what they are made of... how will they handle REAL adversity? These next few weeks will define Sean Payton, and we will see exactly how good of a coach he is.

With that being said... let's see how I THINK the rest of the year will unfold:

</b>11/5 - At Tampa Bay - The Saints, last week, might have started to feel a little "comfortable" with a 5-1 record and felt like everything would come "automatically" and without max effort. This week, they will make sure they dont turn the ball over and shoot themselves in the foot as they did the previous week. <b>My prediction: <b>Saints WIN</b></b> Record: 6-2

11/12 - At Pittsburgh - This game is personally a big one for me, because I am actually going to this game. I go to one away game per year, and we picked this one before the season started. The Steelers are imploding this year and I am hoping they get a win on 11/5 so that they don't have too many bottled up emotions coming into our game with them on 11/12. If they lose the game on 11/5, they will be ultra focused on just getting a WIN, which means they will probably put more care and focus into beating the Saints. However, i have never been to an away game that the Saints didnt win over the last 5 years. <b>My prediction: Saints WIN</b> Record: 7-2

11/19 - Cincinnatti - The Saints do not play very well vs. AFC teams when they play at home. This game could go either way, personally, as I see Cincinnati as about equal to the Saints all across the board. However, the Saints record vs. the AFC in the superdome could come into play here. <b>My prediction: Saints LOSE</b> Record: 7-3

11/26 - At Atlanta - oh boy, this is it - This is the big game that will define our season. If we win, we practically cruise into a division title. If we lose, then we will have to probably win a game and have atlanta lose one or two here or there down the road. Falcons aren't going to forget the Monday Night game, and will play with emotion. <b>My prediction: Saints LOSE</b> Record: 7-4

12/3 - San Fransico - The saints are better than this team across the board. This might be the only game the Saints have a chance to blow out their opponent all year. <B>My prediction: Saints WIN</b> Record: 8-4

12/10 - At Dallas - This game is going to depend on how bad the Saints want that 9th victory. Here we go again - just like back in 2002. The Saints have 4 games left to go, and just have to win probably half of them to cruise into the playoffs. Dallas seems to show up one week, and then take the next week off. Hopefully we will catch them on an off week. <b>My prediction: Saints LOSE</b> Record: 8-5

12/17 - Washington - By this time, Washington might make a push at a playoff spot. However, the Saints are still the better team, espescially at home here. <b>My prediction: Saints WIN</b> Record: 9-5

12/24 - At New York - This game is HUGE for one of two reasons. 1. a fight for a playoff spot.. OR 2. a fight for a first round bye in the playoffs. Hopefully it will be the second one, however.. the Saints will remember the B.S. "home game" @ New York last year, and how that one turned out. I personally think they come out emotional in this one. I dont know if it will be enough. <b>My prediction: Saints LOSE</b> Record: 9-6

12/31 - Carolina - This game WILL determine if the Saints get into the playoffs. The Saints, if they win, go into the wild card round with something to prove. <b>My prediction: Saints WIN</b> Record: 10-6

...so to sum up.. here are the predicted losses:

1. Cincinnati
2. Atlanta
3. Dallas
4. New York

... I believe if we even win ONE of those games, we can get a FIRST ROUND BYE in the playoffs. If lose all 4 of those, like i predicted, then we can still cruise into a wild card spot.

Last edited:
...so to sum up.. here are the predicted losses:

1. Cincinnati
2. Atlanta
3. Dallas
4. New York

... I believe if we even win ONE of those games, we can get a FIRST ROUND BYE in the playoffs. If lose all 4 of those, like i predicted, then we can still cruise into a wild card spot.

but if we lose to all the good teams, what the heck do you expect to do in the playoffs? generally if you make it to the playoffs, you have to face a pretty good team(s)....i have to wonder what good it is to sneak in, only to get beat in the first round....

I agree with everything but the Atlanta game. I truly think we can contain Vick. Their D is starting to show that you can score some points on it.

Nice post......and I hope I'm right because we'd be 11-5 with hopefully a home playoff game......

It really all matters when we catch teams. We caught the panthers at a bad time, right after a huge win for them on the road.

We caught the ravens at a bad time, when they switched thier offensive stradegy and had 2 weeks to work practice it.

We caught the eagles at a great time, right after a huge emotional win on monday night.

My point is by the time we may get to those 4 teams then very easily we could catch them at a great time, either way I think the saints A game could beat any of those 4 listed.

but if we lose to all the good teams, what the heck do you expect to do in the playoffs? generally if you make it to the playoffs, you have to face a pretty good team(s)....i have to wonder what good it is to sneak in, only to get beat in the first round....

Ask the Steelers what good it is to sneak into the playoffs.

Anything can happen once you get there.

Ask the Steelers what good it is to sneak into the playoffs.

Anything can happen once you get there.

well call me crazy, but i'd like to be able to beat good teams, not conceed losses, and maybe hope someone falters so we can sneak in.

if we keep playing like sunday, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs, so it's better to learn why you laid an egg and not do it again, than assume you are going to fill a basket with eggs...and then figure out scenarios that get you into the playoffs and an early exit...

it all starts next week....

we need to win this game BAD if we want any shot at the post-season and if we dont...we are in trouble.

well call me crazy, but i'd like to be able to beat good teams, not conceed losses, and maybe hope someone falters so we can sneak in.

if we keep playing like sunday, we don't deserve to be in the playoffs, so it's better to learn why you laid an egg and not do it again, than assume you are going to fill a basket with eggs...and then figure out scenarios that get you into the playoffs and an early exit...

He gave his predictions and has us in the playoffs. You theorized the early playoff exit. Even if his scenario holds up, this is a team that is still improving and could be primed for playoff success. Getting there may actually be the tougher task.

Im not being a pessimist by saying the Saints will lose to all of the good teams and only beat the bad ones, im just trying to ask myself: "realistically, which games should you expect to win, and which ones should you expect to lose?"

All in all, i think we are in a pretty good situation. Even if do lose the remaining 4 games against winning teams, we can still be 10-6 or 9-7. If we do happen to knock one of those teams off that i predicted a loss for, then the sky is the limit for this team.. maybe even start talking DEEP into the playoffs.

I agree with everything but the Atlanta game. I truly think we can contain Vick. Their D is starting to show that you can score some points on it.

We play Atlanta the week after they play the Ravens. Hopefully the Ravens D will play Vick and Atlanta as physical as they played the Saints.

He gave his predictions and has us in the playoffs. You theorized the early playoff exit. Even if his scenario holds up, this is a team that is still improving and could be primed for playoff success. Getting there may actually be the tougher task.

yes i did, because if we can't beat any good teams, then how will we win in the playoffs?

unlike many of you , i was expecting a poor preformance, ( i predicted in tampa, thinking we would beat the ravens). The bears had their bad game against the cards, but managed to win. Indy may have had that game againt Tenn, but managed to win. The giants were crushed by the Seahawks, we were crushed by the ravens.

the bears, indy and the giants have all rebounded, but what i'm getting out of a lot of these "type" posts, is that we lost to the ravens, so we will never beat a "good" team..

what i'm saying is that if you are correct in that assumption, then were are not a good team..if you are wrong, meaning we can and will beat good teams..then we won't have to sneak in by conceeding losses to the teams you think should beat us.

Look at the steelers last year, they were on a roll late in the season and kept it going..show me a team that lost to all teams with winning records and did anything in the playoffs. the key is not getting there, the key is playing good football @ the end of the season..

if we lose 3 of our last 4 (3 winning teams and the 'skinz) and still get in, we will lose in the first round, and deservedly so. If we go in on a roll then, and only then anything is possible. All we did was come out flat in one game midway through the season. every team does it, yet on out board a lot of people think this is season defining, and that we cannot beat a decent team after that loss..i kinda resent that

I think we can beat Dallas. They scored 35 against Carolina but Carolina did what we did: turn it over again and again. Dallas had 4 TDs, but they all came on Carolina's side of the field. Their TD drives were for 47, 14, 32, and 19 yards. If Carolina doesn't give them great field position, I don't even know if Dallas wins. Limit turnovers and Dallas won't win because Romo isn't seasoned enough. He's another Gradkowski: talented, but no film so he does well early. Let's see how he does in 3 weeks.

I agree, except I'm optimistic about Cincy and Dallas... They have pass-happy offenses, but nowhere near the defense of Baltimore.

I'd say our only losses come to NYG, ATL, and maybe CAR, but it wont matter because we'll already have a playoff spot.

I could live with that outcome. Good post Trujm!

I think we are destined to have at least 3 phenominal games this season.

The 1st one was the win over ATL at the dome

The 2nd was the win over Phillie at the dome

The 3rd will be the win over the NY Giants. Horn, Grant and Deuce are going get their revenge, and Paytons intel on NFC east teams will help us greatly.

We will shock the world with that game, trust

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom