Please find upgrade at safety. (1 Viewer)

We saw Bullocks "biting" on the run a lot, but was he "biting"? Or was that the play-call?

But what kind of play would call for a safety to run up on a playfake and then struggle to get back into coverage? To me, he was just as bad as David on play-action.

I understand that Bullocks might give up some assingments, but Its not Bullocks fault that Jason david is 12 yards behind the WR when he catches it either..

Every time they go deep on David Hes wayyyyyyy behind them..

But the safety is supposed to not let anyone behind him and Bullocks was always running behind the WR on deep balls.

But the safety is supposed to not let anyone behind him and Bullocks was always running behind the WR on deep balls.

Yes I agree, but we play man, so the CB must stick with the WR everywhere.. and alot of them times David definatly wasnt with his WR.. lol :hihi::hihi:

Im not taking up for bullocks in any way shape or form but I feel that Harper and Bullocks was hesitant in dropping back because we were vulnerable up the middle.. WE had no MLB..

Now that we have Vilma, and mccray for some added pass rush, Im not saying Bullocks will be a superstar, but he will definatly play better..
AS for David, He showed He CAN NOT play man..

But what kind of play would call for a safety to run up on a playfake and then struggle to get back into coverage? To me, he was just as bad as David on play-action.

One where he's asked to play a shallow zone (like a "Robber" type coverage) but, seeing the nearby CB getting burnt, he gives good effort trying to get back into the play :shrug: It's really not that remarkable, though, obviously (as I noted) we as fans don't know if that was what happened part, most, or none of the time.

One where he's asked to play a shallow zone (like a "Robber" type coverage) but, seeing the nearby CB getting burnt, he gives good effort trying to get back into the play :shrug: It's really not that remarkable, though, obviously (as I noted) we as fans don't know if that was what happened part, most, or none of the time.

True we don't know, but it rarely, if ever, seemed he was playing a robber role. He was usually running full-steam to the RB, not sitting back in a zone.

True we don't know, but it rarely, if ever, seemed he was playing a robber role. He was usually running full-steam to the RB, not sitting back in a zone.

If any of yall noticed, when it came to run support, bullocks was always right there...

We didnt have no MLB and was vurnable, like I stated before, so he was always hesitant to drop back in coverage, Now that vilma is here, He can mostly stick to coverage

If any of yall noticed, when it came to run support, bullocks was always right there...

We didnt have no MLB and was vurnable, like I stated before, so he was always hesitant to drop back in coverage, Now that vilma is here, He can mostly stick to coverage

That's very naive, IMHO. The reason Bullocks was always there was because he ran up to the line EVERY time a handoff was either completed or simulated in a play-action. MLB or not, that wasn't his job to be the MLB. His responsibility was to be a S. Either he was trying to fill another player's role instead of his own (which makes me question his football intelligence) or he was biting on every hand-off (which makes me question his football intelligence). I would think allowing a 2-yard run to become a 6-yard run is less hurtful than a 10-yard completion turining into a 40-yard TD.

Actually I find the current situation pretty funny. Last season Gibbs, Payton and others said they were happy with Bullocks and when I pointed that out people said that it was just smokescreen and that the coaches wont criticize a player in public...especially during the season. Well, the season is over for quite some time now. Bullocks and Harper are still our starting safeties and I haven't heard that the Saints have been trying to bring in any new safeties.

I'm not claiming to have more football knowledge than most people here...I'm pretty sure I don't ;) I just want to point out that the coaches stay true to their words. They had the chance to replace Bullocks with Kaes - but they didn't. They have the chance now - but they don't. There must be more to it than just loyalty.

Couldn't of said it better myself......

Sometime it takes a player some time to learn, gain confidence, etc to reach their potential. Can't do that unless you play them right? The tough part is, JB isn't playing for the greatest D where he can forget about the running game and PA b/c his LB'ers and DT's are stuffing it for him. He's not able to roam free reading the QB and lining up his next INT or big hit... Basically he's not being put in a position to shine, only stay afloat.. if that..

Although our run D is ok (13th in the league) the CB situation isn't. We have had a BAD #2 CB for 2 years straight. Our best CB isn't even very fast either, and that isn't the way to get your FS to shine. Yes he should be helping out but you can't expect good things when your plan is to have a CB get beat and hope your FS can be there every time to stop it...

I say you give him his shot this year. If Vilma stays healthy & we find some more good bodies at DT we should improve the run D to a top 10 level. CB play should improve (Gay is a start but we need more via trade or draft now). But this is it, our safeties (JB & RH included) better start taking advantage of the opportunity and make some plays. Those guys will be the key to reversing the -7 turnover ratio of 2007. Brees & Co. need more short fields and INT's and big hits for fumbles will make a big difference.

If they can't take advantage of the improved players around them it will be time to look for other options at Safety.

Do you think Chirs Reiss (or whatever his name is) can come in and help?

No. He is not a good Safety. He's the new Gleason. Bullocks is the best FS on the roster right now, unfortuneatly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a rabid Bullocks hater, I just think his upside is average at best, and his downside is downright terrible. I want a real playmaker in the FS position. But I don't think its happening this year.

That's very naive, IMHO. The reason Bullocks was always there was because he ran up to the line EVERY time a handoff was either completed or simulated in a play-action. MLB or not, that wasn't his job to be the MLB. His responsibility was to be a S. Either he was trying to fill another player's role instead of his own (which makes me question his football intelligence) or he was biting on every hand-off (which makes me question his football intelligence). I would think allowing a 2-yard run to become a 6-yard run is less hurtful than a 10-yard completion turining into a 40-yard TD.

all Im sayin is that a great MLB makes the whole D play better... I also am not trying to imply that Bullocks is a great safety at any means... :mwink:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom