Please use jack stands. (1 Viewer)

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think I posted this in the past but nothing wrong with a reminder.

Please use jack stands when working on vehicles that are on a jack. I see so many youtube videos of people relying solely on a hydraulic jack to support the vehicle. Even if you are just doing a brake job and not fully under the vehicle, you can still be injured.

Many people die every year from jack seals failing. If no jack stands, at least slide the tire/rim under the vehicle. You are not faster than a jack failing so don't trust your life on just that Harbor Freight Chinese jack.

Please use jack stands when working on vehicles that are on a jack. I see so many youtube videos of people relying solely on a hydraulic jack to support the vehicle. Even if you are just doing a brake job and not fully under the vehicle, you can still be injured.

Many people die every year from jack seals failing. If no jack stands, at least slide the tire/rim under the vehicle. You are not faster than a jack failing so don't trust your life on just that Harbor Freight Chinese jack.

do this every year like the turkey fire thread

Good advice. I cringe every time I see a nascar crew member crawl completely under a race car with nothing but the hydraulic jack holding up the car.:covri:

Had this conversation just 2 weeks ago...

Eldest kid's classmate's mom found their neighbor under his car sometime in the past few years.

She saw him the night before under the car, called to him and he waved.

The next morning when she left he was still under the car. She called to him again, but no answer that time.

Seals on a 30+ year old bottle jack let go and he didn't make it.

That's pretty good advice. Never thought about jack seals failing. That would completely suck.

I think my turkey pot can support my car. I'll test this theory out in the morn...

That's pretty good advice. Never thought about jack seals failing. That would completely suck.

That's the problem. Nobody thinks about that 50 cent o-ring failing.

Don't trust your life on anything from Harbor Freight.

This happened to a teenager in my small country town when I was a kid.. he didn't make it either. It was shocking and heartbreaking. Worst of all, he was working on his sister's car, and she felt responsible.

Good reminder, BHM. Thanks.

I hate jacksyands also. Much prefer ramps if possible. I actually prefer my chunks of oak stump that I slide under the frame when I'm working on stuff. I know they won't tip over or fail.

No-Car-jack-2-752x440.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom