Pocket qb vs pistol Qb (1 Viewer)

It's much more complex and much more effective long term then the wildcat.

With that said, when the Seahawks needed to come back from a 3 TD deficit against Atlanta they did so with Wilson slinging the ball in the shotgun, not the pistol or some kind of option read.

This style of quarterbacking is shunned in the NFL. It makes for excitement sure! But I don't look for scramblers to do much. He had his chance and blew it. Not saying it was his fault though. Jim should've known better than to play this type of game. He should've seen the results of Vick and RGIII. Running gets you nowhere. You have backs for that. Your job is to lead a team. Not try to win it all yourself.

what these 3 have in common is strong ACCURATE arms. they could all sit in the pocket and throw fastballs 50 yards downfield. the issue will be, just like every pocket qb, its hard to read an nfl defense. CK has had 10 games to learn that and is clearly far from perfect. the kid was considered a major project to begin with and is well on the path to success. just like any number of qbs, he may not make it.

just saying "la la la i saw him run hes no good la la la i cant hear you" with your fingers in your ears isnt a fair argument.

what these 3 have in common is strong ACCURATE arms. they could all sit in the pocket and throw fastballs 50 yards downfield. the issue will be, just like every pocket qb, its hard to read an nfl defense. CK has had 10 games to learn that and is clearly far from perfect. the kid was considered a major project to begin with and is well on the path to success. just like any number of qbs, he may not make it.

just saying "la la la i saw him run hes no good la la la i cant hear you" with your fingers in your ears isnt a fair argument.

My argument is running like a scared moron to get 1st downs. When they stop running, their teams will do better. Period. What you're doing by running and running is saying I carry this team, without me you're nothing arrogance. And you keep that up and I assure you he won't have legs left. If I was a coach, I'd take the 15 yrs penalty on a remember me hit to make sure he thinks twice about running again. You want to run? Become a RB,WR or TE. Otherwise keep your *** in the pocket!

Pocket Qb's will always be better in the long run i really dont think its a debate , eventually a running qb like kapernick will get popped and his brilliance will turn into weakness (Ex. Mike Vick) They dont last and dont fully develop into what they should be.

CK's main advantage this season was that there was no substantial scouting report on him. Next season he may find to be much more difficult, much like Cam Newton, and ultimately like Vick. He is not yet NFL accurate, has no touch and has difficulty reading defenses. His lack of skill as a conventional passing QB definitley hurt the 49ers in the red zone.
More generally, I think athletic, "running" QBs that have had success in college, and previous levels of competitive football often prove to be less than ideal NFL QBs because they have never had to develop pure pocket skills at any level. The NFL seems to have an answer for them, sooner or later.

The guy throws a bullet and is accurate. And he's super fast.

But I will say this...the blue print is out to stop pistol.

Send someone at the QB and hit him whether he has the ball or not. They kept giving him hard pushes, if not outright hits after he handed it off to Gore. Of course they were still running on the Ravens with Ngata out, but I think teams will deal with this more efficiently now, although it's impossible to outright totally stop, but I liked what I saw from the Ravens.

I came in here to post this.

Rewatch the game, and you'll see several plays where CK absorbed some shots even without the ball. And there was one run in the 4th Quarter that he got absolutely demolished on.

One game, fine. All season... Gonna end up beat up by the end of the year, missing starts, and possibly IR'ed.

I came in here to post this.

Rewatch the game, and you'll see several plays where CK absorbed some shots even without the ball. And there was one run in the 4th Quarter that he got absolutely demolished on.

One game, fine. All season... Gonna end up beat up by the end of the year, missing starts, and possibly IR'ed.

its something he will have to learn. hes still never played a full 16 games total in the nfl, yet alone 16 games plus the playoffs.

If you do want to do the pistol, you'd better have a good backup, because the chances are, he'll be missing some starts.

Does this Super Bowl victory prove what Steve Young said?

He said something along the lines of "running qb's can be good, but to be a Super Bowl winning qb, you must learn to be a pocket qb." "you don't see good veteran running qb's"

With shorter careers maybe they can't learn enough. I think Kapernick didn't read that blitz well on his last play and Definetly a few mental errors...

Will the pistol go the way of the wildcat in 2013?

Frank gore absolutely missed the blitz pick up.

This was Kaepernick's 10th start. He has one of the best arms in the NFL and he can run or pass. He is going to be a problem for the rest of the NFL. The Niners outgained the Ravens by 100 yards, had a a 300 yd passer, two 100 yard WRs and a 100 yd rusher. I don't think Kaepernick was the problem.

If you do want to do the pistol, you'd better have a good backup, because the chances are, he'll be missing some starts.

Exactly! You run you get hurt. Those feet weren't made for dancing. Stay in and become a good pocket passer and SF will be a contender. Run and they'll be looking for a new QB shortly.

Frank gore absolutely missed the blitz pick up.

This was Kaepernick's 10th start. He has one of the best arms in the NFL and he can run or pass. He is going to be a problem for the rest of the NFL. The Niners outgained the Ravens by 100 yards, had a a 300 yd passer, two 100 yard WRs and a 100 yd rusher. I don't think Kaepernick was the problem.

It was a team effort. He's included in the team therefore part of the problem.

Like I said. No running QB has or will ever win a SB. Pocket passer or nothing! CK will not win more than 8 games next yr. their arrogance got the best of them. They deserved this loss and many more. To say hell never win one is foolish. He's young and may right the ship, but as of now he's not doing anything to help it.
Outstanding.

This style of quarterbacking is shunned in the NFL.
If it was shunned by the NFL Kaepernick wouldn't be in the league.

It makes for excitement sure! But I don't look for scramblers to do much.
Except lead their team to the Super Bowl in their first season as a starter.

Running gets you nowhere.
Except to the Super Bowl.

He had his chance and blew it.
Your exact words: "To say hell never win one is foolish."

Look, I couldn't care less if the guy ever wins a Super Bowl, but to completely dismiss running quarterbacks as a fad or a gimmick is absurd. The game is constantly evolving, and this may just be here to stay. To try and compare the offense that SF is running to Vick, Cunningham, etc. Just shows that they have no idea what they are talking about.

Running qb = boring and selfish football. We might as well do away with the wr position, and just draft guards to line up as wide outs.

What annoys me the most is when the media a acts like they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Running qb = boring and selfish football. We might as well do away with the wr position, and just draft guards to line up as wide outs.

What annoys me the most is when the media a acts like they are the best thing since sliced bread.

This! Read option, compared to the running QBs in the league is inane? Really? Well lets see RGIII,Vick and Tebow come to mind. Boy was everyone and their mothers on his ball bag when he was running and win what? 10 games in Denver? What happened to those 3? Hmmmm. He'll ONLY be good once he stops trying to be superman and works as a team. Getting to the SB and losing is like getting one number off from the lotto. It doesn't mean ****! Lets see him do it again like he did this run. I'm willing to bet hell never get there with his superman read option bs. But I'm willing to bet he does win one if he gets his head out of his *** and works as a team.

It seemed like close to the end of the game, anytime 7 would hold the ball til the last second, a raven would try to get a lick on him.

That's how you shut down lame gimmicks. Force the qb to decide before he wants to.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom