Pocket qb vs pistol Qb (1 Viewer)

ShahulX

Bring the WOOD!!!
Reaction score
Does this Super Bowl victory prove what Steve Young said?

He said something along the lines of "running qb's can be good, but to be a Super Bowl winning qb, you must learn to be a pocket qb." "you don't see good veteran running qb's"

With shorter careers maybe they can't learn enough. I think Kapernick didn't read that blitz well on his last play and Definetly a few mental errors...

Will the pistol go the way of the wildcat in 2013?

The Option, The Wildcat, The Double Threat...the NFL is too competitive, defenses catch up to that...problem with those "running" QBs, like we saw yesterday, they dont tend to go through their reads fast enough before hitting the Panic/Run button. Which can affect their development as passers, or can get them injured (see RG3). Rarities like Aaron Rodgers can be succesful runners while being really good passers, but that doesnt come by very often. The pistol QB wont go the way of the wildcat, but definitively pocket presence/awareness just got bumped a notch in scouting sheets...

Unless, the spread or pistol offense is really clicking on all cylinders, it comes across as gimmickie.

Like I said. No running QB has or will ever win a SB. Pocket passer or nothing! CK will not win more than 8 games next yr. their arrogance got the best of them. They deserved this loss and many more. To say hell never win one is foolish. He's young and may right the ship, but as of now he's not doing anything to help it.

They were a couple of yards away from winning that game so I wouldn't say it's a definite. Obviously, traditional pocket passers have been more successful in the past because these running QBs are new to the game. Kaepernick can actually throw the ball. Any mistake that he made (and there weren't many), were probably a result of him being in his "rookie" season game-wise and not because of the style of QB he is.

They were a couple of yards away from winning that game so I wouldn't say it's a definite. Obviously, traditional pocket passers have been more successful in the past because these running QBs are new to the game. Kaepernick can actually throw the ball. Any mistake that he made (and there weren't many), were probably a result of him being in his "rookie" season game-wise and not because of the style of QB he is.

This style of quarterbacking is shunned in the NFL. It makes for excitement sure! But I don't look for scramblers to do much. He had his chance and blew it. Not saying it was his fault though. Jim should've known better than to play this type of game. He should've seen the results of Vick and RGIII. Running gets you nowhere. You have backs for that. Your job is to lead a team. Not try to win it all yourself.

San Fran had 31 points and that Ravens D is pretty good. With their defense 31 usually gets it done. He did not play perfect, but you can't hang this loss on the QB alone, he played pretty well for his 10th start. Well enough to win, the Ravens just wanted it more.

Colin Kaepernick has proven that he is a flat out good qb. Period. At this stage in his career Steve Young was running all over the place and couldn't pass to save his life. As a passing qb, Kaepernick is already ahead of where Young was at the same juncture. We have to recognize the difference between running qb's ( Mike Vick, RGIII) and super athletic qb's that can run (Russell Wilson, CK). I'm of the opinion that Wilson and CK don't have to run at all to win a game. They are just damn good quarterbacks and leaders of men.
Regarding a running qb never winning a superbowl, I call it coincidence. If they can stay healthy enough to get there they could fare as well as anybody considering the rest of the team is sound.

I think that a purely Pistol QB will never win a superbowl. However, a QB who is an accurate passer (like Kaepernick, Wilson, or RG3) that is also successful out of the pistol can definitely win.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat in the NFL - that's what makes the league so entertaining. Before the Pack and Saints won their Superbowls, people said that high-powered offenses w/ mediocre defenses (or for a lack of a better term, "finesse" teams) could not win the big game. I'm sure that out of RG3, Wilson, and Kaepernick, at least one will win a title in their lifetime.

Why does last night's game have to be a referendum on the spread option/scrambling qb? Sean Payton is clearly worried about it for next year, which is one of the reasons he's changed his defense and is looking for a new DC. CK is only in his second year and has only started a handful of games. You don't think he's going to get better with a full offseason as starter and more experience? Just b/c Baltimore eeked out the victory doesn't mean teams are going to go away from guys like CK and Russell Wilson. If anything, they'll be looking to draft the next CK or Wilson.

I think that a purely Pistol QB will never win a superbowl. However, a QB who is an accurate passer (like Kaepernick, Wilson, or RG3) that is also successful out of the pistol can definitely win.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat in the NFL - that's what makes the league so entertaining. Before the Pack and Saints won their Superbowls, people said that high-powered offenses w/ mediocre defenses (or for a lack of a better term, "finesse" teams) could not win the big game. I'm sure that out of RG3, Wilson, and Kaepernick, at least one will win a title in their lifetime.

I agree there. I think CK will get them there. But it won't be because of his legs. He's pretty accurate. He'll improve greatly. He just needs to learn to trust his team within the pocket. Right now, he's nervous and looking for an outlet. RGIII,well... I'm sure that injury will stop him from his running. It's time to start leading the team and trusting the line as well. You're only as good as they are anyway.

Colin Kaepernick has proven that he is a flat out good qb. Period. At this stage in his career Steve Young was running all over the place and couldn't pass to save his life. As a passing qb, Kaepernick is already ahead of where Young was at the same juncture. We have to recognize the difference between running qb's ( Mike Vick, RGIII) and super athletic qb's that can run (Russell Wilson, CK). I'm of the opinion that Wilson and CK don't have to run at all to win a game. They are just damn good quarterbacks and leaders of men.
Regarding a running qb never winning a superbowl, I call it coincidence. If they can stay healthy enough to get there they could fare as well as anybody considering the rest of the team is sound.

Wow, well said and couldn't agree more. CK is a exception to the rule and so is RW. Both have VERY GOOD baseball resumes, and can run like the wind. If anything, in the next few years, these guys are gonna be super stars. Give them time.

I dont know if we all watched the whole game but I was impressed with Kaepernick. They were down 28-6 and he came back largely using his arm. He had some runs but they werent reckless runs. His only problem now is his inexperience. You take away his 1st and 2nd read, he will eithe scramble or take a sack. He has a great arm, makes some stick throws, and if you let him get loose he will burn you. I dont think they would have come back if A. Smith was quarterbacking.

Kid still has a lot of development to do obviously.

The guy throws a bullet and is accurate. And he's super fast.

But I will say this...the blue print is out to stop pistol.

Send someone at the QB and hit him whether he has the ball or not. They kept giving him hard pushes, if not outright hits after he handed it off to Gore. Of course they were still running on the Ravens with Ngata out, but I think teams will deal with this more efficiently now, although it's impossible to outright totally stop, but I liked what I saw from the Ravens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom