Podcast: Alvin Kamara is going into a contract season, what should we expect? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
In episode five of the Saints Discussion Show, I project what could occur with Alvin Kamara's potential new contract with the New Orleans Saints.

Marty_Graw

Don't Rain on My Parade
Reaction score
If we don't pay him, another team will (barring any major injuries this season - provided this season even happens). He has no need to worry about his future.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We don't over pay for the position and for what Kamara does he is not a bell cow at the position but a offensive skill player out of the backfield.

Whether he gets paid on NO or the saints let him walk one thing is for sure, the Saints will again find another player who fits the mold.

renegadewa

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We don't over pay for the position and for what Kamara does he is not a bell cow at the position but a offensive skill player out of the backfield.

Whether he gets paid on NO or the saints let him walk one thing is for sure, the Saints will again find another player who fits the mold.
You'd think he was the bell cow the way Sean Payton used him last season (even though he was injured for much of the season) while refusing to use Latavius Murray!!

Finding another player with the same skillset and dynamic of Kamara is easier said than done.

Nonreg

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t think Kamara will be back. He’s going to want highest RB paid money and Payton has never invested that kind of money in a RB (nor should he).

Unfortunately I think this is the last year for Kamara.

Rdanderson91

Krispy Kreme
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Considering that the cap won’t be going up for a while due to lost revenue, we’re gonna have to let some talented players go. We gotta pay Lattimore and Ramczyk big bucks.

Reaction score
This will be one of the more interesting contract negotiations for us. Yes, RB is one of the easiest positions to replace, and we have never invested heavily in the position. It wouldn't surprise me if another team offered an amount that we never dreamed we'd pay a RB.

Of significance, though... Kamara has averaged about 1,700 all-purpose yards a season for us. He's a unique player, and while yes, we could probably very easily replace him as a runner, his overall skillset and abilities as a receiver are what make him so great. He is so exciting to watch, and when you see him with the ball, you can tell he is one of the best in the league at what he does. I hope we keep him, but will understand if he demands too much and a deal can't be made.

Jameth

Formerly jrich7720
Reaction score
I don’t think Kamara will be back. He’s going to want highest RB paid money and Payton has never invested that kind of money in a RB (nor should he).

Unfortunately I think this is the last year for Kamara.
Maybe he should start thinking about paying a back, since we’ve mostly had a below average rushing offense since 2006. He’s also never had a back as talented as Kamara in need of a new contract, so it’s hard to say we should expect Loomis/Payton to let him walk. I also find it hard to believe that Loomis would even allow him to enter his contract year if he’s expecting to let him walk. Maybe he would have been offered up for trade this offseason if it wasn’t for the injury, but I really think the plan is to re-sign him.

We’ve gotta pay other guys, but we should be able to afford them all if we’re not spending $50M a year on a QB.

Nonreg

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Maybe he should start thinking about paying a back, since we’ve mostly had a below average rushing offense since 2006. He’s also never had a back as talented as Kamara in need of a new contract, so it’s hard to say we should expect Loomis/Payton to let him walk. I also find it hard to believe that Loomis would even allow him to enter his contract year if he’s expecting to let him walk. Maybe he would have been offered up for trade this offseason if it wasn’t for the injury, but I really think the plan is to re-sign him.

We’ve gotta pay other guys, but we should be able to afford them all if we’re not spending $50M a year on a QB.
I disagree, Kamara is not worth a top contract. I agree he is talented but his production could be found else where.

Brees / Lattimore / Ramczyk / Davis / Cook / Williams are all people I’d rather give that money to.

TribuneUK

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Considering that the cap won’t be going up for a while due to lost revenue, we’re gonna have to let some talented players go. We gotta pay Lattimore and Ramczyk big bucks.
But any flattening of the cap affects everyone equally. So we don't face increased competition for his signature.

Those teams with proportionally more cap space than us before, will still have proportionally more space than us after any such effects.

Jameth

Formerly jrich7720
Reaction score
I disagree, Kamara is not worth a top contract. I agree he is talented but his production could be found else where.

Brees / Lattimore / Ramczyk / Davis / Cook / Williams are all people I’d rather give that money to.
Lattimore and Ramczyk are no-brainers, but the other four are questionable to sign over Kamara.

Davis turns 32 before his contract expires, and Cook turns 34 before he would play under an extension. Those guys are gonna get 1 year deals - 2 max. And that’s assuming their contracts aren’t frozen until next year and they won’t be 33 and 35.

Brees signing another contract is a real long shot. His next season will be his last. I would love to be wrong, but as he ages, it’s more and more likely that you’re hurting the team by paying him instead of a young guy in his prime like Kamara.

Williams is a good player, but Kamara is much better and should be the priority.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CSC Podcast: Interview with Dr Sharif Tabbah; Trainer of Alvin Kamara Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Bayou Blitz Podcast: Saints Training Camp, Week 2 SR News Page Articles 0
Rex Chapman on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - August 13, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Nick Underhill latest podcast Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Swin Cash & Caron Butler on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - August 10, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
CSC Podcast: Saints Sign Bradham, Fowler and Waive Ten Players Saints RSS News Feeds 0
RedJem This week's Fleurs Truly Podcast Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Eric Hasseltine on the New Orleans Pelicans podcast presented by SeatGeek - August 3, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, August 13: Saints quarterback gets new position and more on Alvin Kamara’s injury Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Alvin Kamara: MCL Injury and Contract Talks Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Alvin Kamara reveals 2019 injury and new offseason approach to prepare for 2020 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, August 12: Alvin Kamara reveals 2019 injury and Taysom Hill expecting first child soon Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Alvin Kamara changed to plant-based diet, feels better Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Kamara, Loomis, and Dr. Reef on Alvin Kamara SR News Page Articles 0
Saints' Alvin Kamara shifted toward plant-based diet this offseason Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Healthy Alvin Kamara prepared to show off his old, new self with New Orleans Saints SR News Page Articles 0
Alvin Kamara admits he played hurt last season; talks motivation in contract season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Alvin Kamara focused on being healthy again, not contract Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Alvin Kamara is focused on feeling healthy — not his next contract Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints RB Alvin Kamara 'not concerned with contract talks' SR News Page Articles 0
Transcript: Pelicans head coach Alvin Gentry media availability - August 5, 2020 Pelicans RSS News Feeds 0
Healthy Kamara not concerned about contract Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Kamara "tore his knee" vs Jacksonville Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 45