Podcast: Alvin Kamara is going into a contract season, what should we expect? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
In episode five of the Saints Discussion Show, I project what could occur with Alvin Kamara's potential new contract with the New Orleans Saints.

He will be fully healthy for 2020 and if he does what he's normally done when healthy, he's gonna get paaaaiiiiidddddd.

If we don't pay him, another team will (barring any major injuries this season - provided this season even happens). He has no need to worry about his future.

We don't over pay for the position and for what Kamara does he is not a bell cow at the position but a offensive skill player out of the backfield.

Whether he gets paid on NO or the saints let him walk one thing is for sure, the Saints will again find another player who fits the mold.

We don't over pay for the position and for what Kamara does he is not a bell cow at the position but a offensive skill player out of the backfield.

Whether he gets paid on NO or the saints let him walk one thing is for sure, the Saints will again find another player who fits the mold.

You'd think he was the bell cow the way Sean Payton used him last season (even though he was injured for much of the season) while refusing to use Latavius Murray!!

Finding another player with the same skillset and dynamic of Kamara is easier said than done.

I don’t think Kamara will be back. He’s going to want highest RB paid money and Payton has never invested that kind of money in a RB (nor should he).

Unfortunately I think this is the last year for Kamara.

Considering that the cap won’t be going up for a while due to lost revenue, we’re gonna have to let some talented players go. We gotta pay Lattimore and Ramczyk big bucks.

This will be one of the more interesting contract negotiations for us. Yes, RB is one of the easiest positions to replace, and we have never invested heavily in the position. It wouldn't surprise me if another team offered an amount that we never dreamed we'd pay a RB.

Of significance, though... Kamara has averaged about 1,700 all-purpose yards a season for us. He's a unique player, and while yes, we could probably very easily replace him as a runner, his overall skillset and abilities as a receiver are what make him so great. He is so exciting to watch, and when you see him with the ball, you can tell he is one of the best in the league at what he does. I hope we keep him, but will understand if he demands too much and a deal can't be made.

I don’t think Kamara will be back. He’s going to want highest RB paid money and Payton has never invested that kind of money in a RB (nor should he).

Unfortunately I think this is the last year for Kamara.

Maybe he should start thinking about paying a back, since we’ve mostly had a below average rushing offense since 2006. He’s also never had a back as talented as Kamara in need of a new contract, so it’s hard to say we should expect Loomis/Payton to let him walk. I also find it hard to believe that Loomis would even allow him to enter his contract year if he’s expecting to let him walk. Maybe he would have been offered up for trade this offseason if it wasn’t for the injury, but I really think the plan is to re-sign him.

We’ve gotta pay other guys, but we should be able to afford them all if we’re not spending $50M a year on a QB.

Maybe he should start thinking about paying a back, since we’ve mostly had a below average rushing offense since 2006. He’s also never had a back as talented as Kamara in need of a new contract, so it’s hard to say we should expect Loomis/Payton to let him walk. I also find it hard to believe that Loomis would even allow him to enter his contract year if he’s expecting to let him walk. Maybe he would have been offered up for trade this offseason if it wasn’t for the injury, but I really think the plan is to re-sign him.

We’ve gotta pay other guys, but we should be able to afford them all if we’re not spending $50M a year on a QB.

I disagree, Kamara is not worth a top contract. I agree he is talented but his production could be found else where.

Brees / Lattimore / Ramczyk / Davis / Cook / Williams are all people I’d rather give that money to.

Considering that the cap won’t be going up for a while due to lost revenue, we’re gonna have to let some talented players go. We gotta pay Lattimore and Ramczyk big bucks.
But any flattening of the cap affects everyone equally. So we don't face increased competition for his signature.

Those teams with proportionally more cap space than us before, will still have proportionally more space than us after any such effects.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom