Podcast: Will Jordan Love Be Available for the Saints to Draft at 24? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
In this episode of the Saints Discussions show, I talk about the recent buzz growing around Utah State quarterback Jordan Love. I also talk about the Saints' chances of selecting him at 24 in this year's NFL Draft.

Thanks for the post. All the buzz for this young man seems like it will make that difficult.

If he's available we gotta take him. .if we see him slipping we have to trade up to take him, this roster is solid and we build through the draft so I would sacrifice some draft picks for this year or next to get him especially with this current roster of players.

If he's available we gotta take him. .if we see him slipping we have to trade up to take him, this roster is solid and we build through the draft so I would sacrifice some draft picks for this year or next to get him especially with this current roster of players.

Agree.

At this point, I’d be surprised if he fell out of the top ten, though. And I’d be stunned if he got past both Oakland and Indy.

I like Love but I’d rather not them trade up for a QB. If he’s there @ 24, grab him if Claypool’s off the board. But if he’s gone I say target Hurts or Eason in the 2nd/3rd

Thanks for the post. All the buzz for this young man seems like it will make that difficult.
Thanks for listening. Loomis and Payton might have to pull something off if they really want him.

I am 100% behind using our #1 pick to get one of the top young QB's but not sure this is the guy I would take. Seems like a project vs' sure thing. I read he locks in on one receiver and that's it. Mobility is big for me and I read he has some mobility but not sure so I want to read up more on that.

This isn't very flattering from walterfootball.

However, Love still has a lot to work on, with his field vision being painfully bad. He consistently locks his eyes on his primary read and does not move them away. He stares down targets and does not look off defenders. Love must start reading the field, working through his progressions, and making better decisions. Team sources felt that Love should have returned for his senior year to improve before going to the NFL, but he declared for the 2020 NFL Draft. One team source said they had a fourth-/fifth-round grade on Love. A few other teams said they had Love graded in the mid-rounds, but the team that likes him enough to draft him could do it in the early rounds because he has a starting skill set.

I am 100% behind using our #1 pick to get one of the top young QB's but not sure this is the guy I would take. Seems like a project vs' sure thing. I read he locks in on one receiver and that's it. Mobility is big for me and I read he has some mobility but not sure so I want to read up more on that.

This isn't very flattering from walterfootball.

However, Love still has a lot to work on, with his field vision being painfully bad. He consistently locks his eyes on his primary read and does not move them away. He stares down targets and does not look off defenders. Love must start reading the field, working through his progressions, and making better decisions. Team sources felt that Love should have returned for his senior year to improve before going to the NFL, but he declared for the 2020 NFL Draft. One team source said they had a fourth-/fifth-round grade on Love. A few other teams said they had Love graded in the mid-rounds, but the team that likes him enough to draft him could do it in the early rounds because he has a starting skill set.
There's going to be a run on QBs, and who we pick will be about projection; all rooks are. He's the 3 or 4th guy on most people's board, and some people say the Pats might target him as well.

Sean Payton turned Romo into an NFL QB. It would be interesting to see what he could do with a QB who has the physical attributes, ability and arm like Love.

I just don’t have any confidence in Love being the real successor and future of the Saints QB position.
He’s got some nice raw tools, but the widespread criticisms of his decision making and progressions give me great concern... the Blake Bortles comparison is also troubling.

Id rather see the Saints grab James Morgan if he’s there on Day 3.

If Love actually fell, I'd totally be cool w/us picking him a 24. That dude's the new NFL breed of QB, and w/Sean Payton building an O around him, I think he'd have all the makings of an elite QB. Hate on Love's 2019, but in 18 w/a functional group of OL and skill players he looked insane on the field. He just needs to be coached up, and in our building in particular, Love's upside would be through the roof.

17ints last year....that's a no for me dog. But the more he is hyped that means that there will be more good players that will drop. Believe it or not Jerry Juedy might be in play or Tee Higgins.

If the saints need a developmental QB for 1 or 2 years why not trade up in the 3rd and draft Anthony Gordon. I think this guy with time could be a quality quarterback.

Just wondering why do so many feel the Saints need to find a QB of the future in this Draft? When by all means it looks like Drew, and Taysom will be returning and the team is going full on win now mode.

Taking Jordan Love or a QB in Round 1 is a move for the future, 2021 - and beyond..as they will have to develop it doesn't really move the needle in terms of winning a Championship this year.

I think looking for an impact Receiver, Corner, Guard, Linebacker helps more towards the goal of winning a Championship within the next two seasons. Especially since it looks like the Saints won't have the Cap space to make big moves in free agency so they will have to focus on bringing their own guys back, and find impact players in the Draft.

IMO QB can wait until the 2021 draft (when we have all of our picks at-least for the time being), just sign a Veteran 3rd QB this off-season, and if you have to Draft a developmental guy take an Anthony Gordon, James Morgan, or Tyler Huntley in the mid rounds..

(If Tua starts falling out of the top 10 because of Medical concerns though... that would be the one exception. That's the one scenario I say go ahead and go up and get the next QB this Draft.)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom