Points System To Determine Who Clinches NFC South (1 Viewer)

I like the work and statistics but it just that. Chances and statistics.
Saints could go 8-8 Falclowns 12-3 and pansies 11-5 (assume their only loss is to Falclowns)
So yea I like our chances and our Great 8-0 start.

I like the work and statistics but it just that. Chances and statistics.
Saints could go 8-8 Falclowns 12-3 and pansies 11-5 (assume their only loss is to Falclowns)
So yea I like our chances and our Great 8-0 start.

This is just to let you know what it takes to clinch the division. Sort of like, what the "Magic Number" is.

I thought that this would be interesting. Let’s assume the following value for victories:
Non Conference………:………….1 pt
Conference……………:………….1.1 pts
Division ………….......:………….1.2 pts

This year, the NFC South will: play 4 non-conference games (4 points), 6 conference games (6.6 pts) and 6 division games (7.2 pts) for a possible total of 17.8 points, that being a perfect regular season.

Team…………………………..Points…..........Pts Remaining..............…Best Possible……Points to Clinch
New Orleans Saints……...……6.3…………………..11.5…………….……17.8………………….9.5
Atlanta Falcons …...….........….4.4………………….11.3…………….....…15.7…………………..n/a
Carolina Panthers……......…….2.3………………….11.1……………….....13.4……………..……n/a
Tampa Bay Buccaneers ….........0.0……………...…..10.2………………….10.2……..……………n/a

So, any combination of the Saints winning and the Falcons losing 9.5 of the reamining points leads to us beating out the Falcons. Any combination of the Saints winning and the Panthers losing 7.2 of the remaining points and we beat the Panthers out. And finally, any combination of the Saints winning and the Bucs losing 3.9 of the remaining points and we edge them out.

I base the points to clinch on the Saints best possible outcome and the next closest divisional opponent's best possible outcome.

Point system? This isn't hockey dude.

I always look at the loss column.

When the Saints opponents get to a number of losses that is impossible
for the Saints to attain, they are eliminated. 1 more tie or loss, and TB is gone.

14 wins GUARANTEES the division (5-2 from here on out) but any combination of 3.6 points due to the Falcons losing and us winning and that does it.

Last edited:
14 wins GUARANTEES the division (5-2 from here on out) but any combination of 3.6 points due to the Panthers losing and us winning and that does it.

No, Atlanta has 4 losses, so at best they can get to 12-4, 13 wins guarantees it, 12 if one of them is against Atl.

Any combination of Saints wins and Atlanta losses that result in a 1.3 point shift for us clinches the Division.

This is an interesting concept. Were the point values chosen arbitrarily, or are they valid given odd tie-breaker scenarios?

This is an interesting concept. Were the point values chosen arbitrarily, or are they valid given odd tie-breaker scenarios?

Thanks. Yes, the values were assigned a somewhat arbitrary value but based upon the following assumptions:

1. Every game should have at least a value of 1.
2. The value of the games in order of least to most important are: out of conference, conference then finally division.

I started to assign divisional games a 2pt value but I think it might have skewed the results too much. I wanted the values to reflect rather closely the actual amount of games played so that the point value for a perfect season was pretty close to 16 but to also take into account the value of division and conference games for tie-breaker purposes.

I guess I could have assigned values of 1.00, 1.01 and 1.02 for out of conference, conference and divisional games respectively and would have gotten closer to 16.

Basically at this point, any loss by the Falcons with a win by us seals the deal. The difference is 1.3 points which just a game.

We got to win against the Redskins and have the Eagles to beat up on them
Birds.

Then we will clinch the South!!!The airport next week will be crazy..:spit:

I know that it is 2 days later but it just feels so good to be able to write this:

Team…………………………..Points…..........Pts Remaining..............…Best Possible……Points to Clinch
New Orleans Saints……...…....13.1..………………...4.7…………….…....17.8… . ………… …….0.00
Atlanta Falcons …...….........….6.7………………….4.4…………….....…11.1 ………… ……….n/a
Carolina Panthers……......…….5.8………………….4.4……………….....10.2… …………..……n/a
Tampa Bay Buccaneers ….........1.1……………...…..4.5…………………...5.6……..… …………n/a

WELL, IT'S OFFICIAL. WE CLINCHED.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom